• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arizona Empid ID help (1 Viewer)

Peacefrog2

I photographed this bird in Madera Canyon in Arizona and would like any input that anyone here has to offer concerning its ID. I am mostly interested in the reasoning behind your ID assignment.

The bird was working the vegetation at about eye-level and not returning to the same perch twice. It did not remain in the area for long and I was not able to hear it vocalize.

Thanks,

Greg

Attachments

• _MG_0469-web.jpg
    _MG_0469-web.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 83
  • _MG_0474-web.jpg
    _MG_0474-web.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 110
It looks like a Cordilleran Flycatcher. They are probably the most common species of empid in those canyons at this time of year.

Thanks for the input here. It looks like not many people are willing to touch this one (I don’t blame them). Do you think this bird looks like a Cordilleran Flycatcher because that is what you expect to find in this location or is there some field-mark that you are using to make this determination? I am not trying to be smart, just trying to build my empid ID skills and any info would help.

Thanks again,

Greg

Cordilleran and Buff-breasted are the only empids that breed in those canyons. It is worn, but the dull greenish color, slightly crested appearance, teardrop-shaped eyering, and short primary projection are all good for a Cordilleran.

Thanks for your follow-up. This bird is obviously not a Buff-breasted Flycatcher and it is my understanding that you are correct that only that and Cordilleran breed in the area I wonder is there any way to exclude a stray Dusky or Hammonds… based on these photos?

I do agree that it is probably a Cordilleran.

Thanks again,

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back