Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Field Guide for Brazil

Old Monday 4th April 2016, 17:25   #1
killik

Field Guide for Brazil

Will be spending 6 weeks in Rio this summer and am wanting to get opinions on what field guide would be best to take with me.
Only thing I'm finding is Ber van Perlo, but it seems pretty hefty, and by
now is getting quite old.
Any other suggestions?
Old Monday 4th April 2016, 17:53   #2
SteveTS

There are a couple of local guides to the birds of Rio, Maciel's 'Aves do Município do Rio de Janeiro 2ª Edição' is the most recent, I think (?), published in 2009. 400 or so pages, 532 species.

Best wishes,
Old Monday 4th April 2016, 18:30   #3
DMW

The forthcoming WCS guide has a mid June 2016 publication date:

http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/...80140100477160
Old Monday 4th April 2016, 19:25   #4
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by killik View Post
Will be spending 6 weeks in Rio this summer and am wanting to get opinions on what field guide would be best to take with me.
Only thing I'm finding is Ber van Perlo, but it seems pretty hefty, and by
now is getting quite old.
Any other suggestions?
It's actually one of the lighter So. Am. guides (lighter than e.g. Birds of Peru), and is still fairly up to date taxonomically. At least that was my impression when I took it to Peru last year.

The WCS guide DMW mentions would be close to ideal if you will only be birding in the atlantic coastal region--assuming it's available when you need it. The Zimmer/Whitaker Birds of Brazil has been forthcoming for years, so I wouldn't count on it; it will likely be heavier than van Perlo in any event.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 4th April 2016, 19:29   #5
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Van Perlo is a lightweight guide for South American standards, but it does the job (mostly).
Still, taking the far heavier Birds of South America: Passerines (by Ridgely and Tudor) is something I'd advise anyone going anywhere on the continent!
Old Tuesday 5th April 2016, 11:21   #6
kitefarrago

The van Perlo is available as an app (not many South American guides are), if weight is a serious issue and you are wondering about juggling books.

I think we are spoiled with the quality and frequency of updates when it comes to fieldguides for North America and Europe. The Ridgely guide to Ecuador is from 2001 (but a promising looking Helm guide is promised for November).

Andrea
Old Tuesday 5th April 2016, 16:04   #7
killik

Thanks for the responses.
I only leave in mid-July, so there is a chance the WCS guide will be shipping by then.
Otherwise I'll just go with the van Perlo. I'll also look into the app.
Old Tuesday 5th April 2016, 23:14   #8
sclateria

The Portuguese version of the WCS guide is already out and seems to be up to the standards of the Pantanal & Cerrado guide of the same series.

Another interesting book is this guide to the birds of the Serra dos Órgãos which should be quite useful for Rio de Janeiro:

http://www.irmaosmello.com.br/livro/

Could be hard to get a hold of outside Brazil, but you might be able to pick up a copy while you are down here.
Old Saturday 9th April 2016, 14:28   #9
Jens Thalund

Another book for SE Brazil is A Birdwatching Guide to South-East Brazil by Honkala and Niiranen.
Illustrations (mostly good photographs) of 558 species and site descriptions for 50 sites in the greater area of SE Brazil.

Jens
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: