Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garden/Yard List 2016

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 21st April 2016, 11:26   #476
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Double whammy this am: two songsters audible

Willow Warbler
And
Blackcap (69 &70 I think)
Old Thursday 21st April 2016, 17:08   #477
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftwo View Post
Double whammy this am: two songsters audible

Willow Warbler
And
Blackcap (69 &70 I think)
You must be "birding out your socks H"....have you bivouacked on the roof...at this rate I'll soon have to take painkillers.
Old Thursday 21st April 2016, 18:41   #478
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Been at work all week 8-6 shifts & 3 hrs commuting.
Common Sand on the way home today
Old Friday 22nd April 2016, 06:21   #479
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazza View Post
I'm also thinking that I should start a "Spanish garden list", as my in-laws have a house near Alicante that we visit twice a year, and the garden list there gets better every year, as the verde across the road matures!
Yes, ofcourse. It would be interesting. I think we doesn't have any Spanish gardens included yet.

At a morning I thought I heard Redwing sings. But I couldn't see it. It repeat the song once again and then nothing (Thus Chaffinch, Robin, Blackbird, Fielfare and Tits). So there is chance that it could be a Starling...
Last lifer: Red Phalarope #440, WP ticks: 329, Finnish ticks: 273, Eco ticks: 200 (Spotted Crake), Yard tics (alltime): 114 (Northern Wheatear), Photo ticks: 408 (Black Stork)
Old Friday 22nd April 2016, 06:49   #480
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warixenjalka View Post
Yes, ofcourse. It would be interesting. I think we doesn't have any Spanish gardens included yet.

At a morning I thought I heard Redwing sings. But I couldn't see it. It repeat the song once again and then nothing (Thus Chaffinch, Robin, Blackbird, Fielfare and Tits). So there is chance that it could be a Starling...
Are Starlings uncommon in your neck of the woods Warixenjalka?
Old Friday 22nd April 2016, 06:52   #481
halftwo
Wird Batcher

Are we all overdue House Martins in the UK?
Old Friday 22nd April 2016, 07:42   #482
Warixenjalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Are Starlings uncommon in your neck of the woods Warixenjalka?
No. I see those every week (but not every day)- Not winters thought. So It could be Starling quite well. I have never seen Redwing on / for my yard, so I didn't count it. But I have seen them near my house recently, probably migrating Redwings. I have a feeling that Redwings like more wilder forest areas than other thrushes.
Last lifer: Red Phalarope #440, WP ticks: 329, Finnish ticks: 273, Eco ticks: 200 (Spotted Crake), Yard tics (alltime): 114 (Northern Wheatear), Photo ticks: 408 (Black Stork)
Old Friday 22nd April 2016, 13:55   #483
The Falcon
Registered Birder

From April 19th-today:

69. Broad-winged Hawk
70. Northern Saw-whet Owl - calling
71. White-throated Sparrow
72. Savannah Sparrow
73. Brown Thrasher
74. Field Sparrow
75. Blue-headed Vireo
76. American Bittern - New yard bird #101. Flying over! Nice bird for a yard!

BF Supporter 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd April 2016, 15:13   #484
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
From April 19th-today:
76. American Bittern - New yard bird #101. Flying over! Nice bird for a yard!
Round here Bitterns count as great year birds, let along garden birds! Congratulations.

Seems luck is in all round at the moment. Rainy day here, sat at upstairs window typing and look up to see No 42 Osprey fly past. Fab. Fairly common visitors to the nearby lake, but usually when there are more leaves on the trees so I am less likely to spot one from home. No 72 for the life garden list. Very nice.
Old Friday 22nd April 2016, 21:45   #485
KenM

Quote:
No more than we are for Swifts....having seen them both on the 17th...albeit several miles from home!
Old Saturday 23rd April 2016, 12:44   #486
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Super raptor day, beginning with an Osprey flying over with an enormous fish fairly early on, then a purple patch in early afternoon with first a Lesser Spotted Eagle slowly drifting over, then a female Montagu's Harrier arriving to spend about half an hour in my meadow, rounded up by a White-tailed Eagle drifting to the south. Also, a steady passage of Marsh Harriers, a few Common Buzzards and one Sparrowhawk.

Perhaps even more notable, flying over whilst the Montagu's Harrier was quartering, a very nice flock of eight Great White Egrets heading south - second record this spring, but my seventh record ever for my land and the largest ever flock (just exceeding the seven on 4 May last year).

Also newly arrived Willow Warblers, a flock of about 20 Tree Pipits, one Hawfinch and, rather pleasing, two pairs of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers actively establishing territory and nest excavating. Bittern still booming.

81. Montagu's Harrier
82. Lesser Spotted Eagle
83. Osprey
84. Willow Warbler

Despite a decidedly cold spring, I am four ahead of where I was this time last year.

Last edited by Jos Stratford : Saturday 23rd April 2016 at 13:00.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd April 2016, 15:22   #487
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Quote:
No more than we are for Swifts....having seen them both on the 17th...albeit several miles from home!
I won't see the first Swift until the first week of May in Nottingham but had a Swallow over yesterday, rare here as I'm on the edge of the City.

In Russia, Barn Swallows are called 'Village Swallows' with House Martins being 'Town Swallows'

A
Old Saturday 23rd April 2016, 15:27   #488
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Super raptor day, beginning with an Osprey flying over with an enormous fish fairly early on, then a purple patch in early afternoon with first a Lesser Spotted Eagle slowly drifting over, then a female Montagu's Harrier arriving to spend about half an hour in my meadow, rounded up by a White-tailed Eagle drifting to the south. Also, a steady passage of Marsh Harriers, a few Common Buzzards and one Sparrowhawk.

Perhaps even more notable, flying over whilst the Montagu's Harrier was quartering, a very nice flock of eight Great White Egrets heading south - second record this spring, but my seventh record ever for my land and the largest ever flock (just exceeding the seven on 4 May last year).

Also newly arrived Willow Warblers, a flock of about 20 Tree Pipits, one Hawfinch and, rather pleasing, two pairs of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers actively establishing territory and nest excavating. Bittern still booming.

81. Montagu's Harrier
82. Lesser Spotted Eagle
83. Osprey
84. Willow Warbler

Despite a decidedly cold spring, I am four ahead of where I was this time last year.

Do you get Many Divers Jos?

My missus just had a lovely sum-plum Black-throated on a lake near home which is a state tick for us. Being so close to the City, most of he lakes around here are very busy with swimmers and fishermen in the summer so Divers don't hang around to breed.

Andy

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 23rd April 2016 at 15:31.
Old Saturday 23rd April 2016, 15:49   #489
KenM

Not just a garden year tick....but a garden life tick.....no. 59 pair of flyover Gadwall!
Old Saturday 23rd April 2016, 15:51   #490
andyadcock

Quote:
Not just a garden year tick....but a garden life tick.....no. 59 pair of flyover Gadwall!
Sure it wasn't a Pigeon Ken, hope it was a better view than that Accipiter!!!

Andy
Old Saturday 23rd April 2016, 16:25   #491
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Sure it wasn't a Pigeon Ken, hope it was a better view than that Accipiter!!!

Andy
You mean one like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Accip.7 April 14th 2013.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	582125  
Old Saturday 23rd April 2016, 17:02   #492
andyadcock

Nice......

A
Old Saturday 23rd April 2016, 17:12   #493
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Do you get Many Divers Jos?

My missus just had a lovely sum-plum Black-throated on a lake near home which is a state tick for us. Being so close to the City, most of he lakes around here are very busy with swimmers and fishermen in the summer so Divers don't hang around to breed.
In Lithuania, Black-throated Divers breed in very small numbers, the locations not far from my land.

On my land however, I always thought chances of one flying over were possible, but small ...but then on 16 April last year, I got a superb record of a flock of six Black-throated Divers flying over, followed minutes later by a flock of 17 birds, with a Red-throated Diver also with them!!!

Old Saturday 23rd April 2016, 17:56   #494
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
In Lithuania, Black-throated Divers breed in very small numbers, the locations not far from my land.

On my land however, I always thought chances of one flying over were possible, but small ...but then on 16 April last year, I got a superb record of a flock of six Black-throated Divers flying over, followed minutes later by a flock of 17 birds, with a Red-throated Diver also with them!!!
That sounds lovely,
we've neen expecting to find them, they breed commonly not far away but being shy, they tend to be on the more remote lakes, away from people and in Russia these can be very hard to access if not impossible.

Butterflies again Jos, do you get Scarce Fritillary? I had one record last year. Having looked for it at a known site and failing 3 times, I found one on my local patch 300m from home!

Andy
Old Saturday 23rd April 2016, 18:09   #495
joannec

Quote:
Yes, and I missed Sand Martin on passage so have to wait for that until the end of the summer. Got my eyes peeled for Swifts now.

Old Sunday 24th April 2016, 12:59   #496
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
I won't see the first Swift until the first week of May in Nottingham but had a Swallow over yesterday, rare here as I'm on the edge of the City.

In Russia, Barn Swallows are called 'Village Swallows' with House Martins being 'Town Swallows'

A
Same here in Bulgaria Andy - Selska lyantnavitsa for Swallow and gradska lyatnavitsa for House Martin.

Been out for a walk this morning and came back to a Lesser Whitethroat (no. 26) in next door's garden.

Chris

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 24th April 2016, 14:42   #497
jasperpatch
Amy, Brit in Quebec.

Started yesterday with a pair of No 43 American Black ducks flying over in search of open water on the now thawing lake. Lots of new year birds spotted while canoeing on the lake during the day, but none have made it to the garden yet.
Ten minutes at dusk with a cuppa on the back deck added No 44 Common Loon calling on the lake and No 45 Ruffed Grouse drumming in the woods. Both birds I usually see in/from the garden at some point during the year too.

The warblers are arriving, so the next couple of weeks should be fruitful. I was back in the UK for the main influx of warblers in mating-plumage last year, and I'm looking forward to some easier ID- than last autumn!
Old Sunday 24th April 2016, 15:43   #498
halftwo
Wird Batcher

I'm away for five days at the mo.
House Martins down south - Hereford/Pembrokeshire
Old Sunday 24th April 2016, 19:02   #499
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Good job I'm a calm type (and don't have much hair left to tear out anyway) as, following my earlier 'Was it a Feral or a Racing Pigeon" dilemna, on Thursday morning my vis-migging session in the garden turned sour when a distant pale male Harrier sp went north, at exactly the wrong height to see wing pattern. There have been lots of Montagu's Harriers passing through the area (at least, at lower altitudes not far away) so that's favourite, but it seemed very pale (in the bright sunlight) and there have been several Pallids seen this past two weeks in southern France too, so ANOTHER species escapes me. Maybe I should take up stamp-collecting (or buy Forsman's raptor id book ). I was moved to see a little group of five Blue Tits chugging north, I wonder just how far they still had to go to their final destination..............
Old Sunday 24th April 2016, 20:47   #500
joannec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prior View Post
on Thursday morning my vis-migging session in the garden turned sour when a distant pale male Harrier sp went north, at exactly the wrong height to see wing pattern. There have been lots of Montagu's Harriers passing through the area (at least, at lower altitudes not far away) so that's favourite, but it seemed very pale (in the bright sunlight) and there have been several Pallids seen this past two weeks in southern France too, so ANOTHER species escapes me. Maybe I should take up stamp-collecting (or buy Forsman's raptor id book ). .
No question Richard; go for the Forsmans.....stamps are just too boring.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: