Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ivory Gull around Redcar in 1985-87

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 15:57   #1
Goldcrest55
Goldcrest55

 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Stockport
Posts: 16
Ivory Gull around Redcar in 1985-87

Can anybody please tell me the month and year that an Ivory Gull was reported from around Redcar in NE England? From memory it would be in the period from 1985 - 1988.

Many thanks.
Goldcrest55 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 16:01   #2
Britseye
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Isles of Scilly
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcrest55 View Post
Can anybody please tell me the month and year that an Ivory Gull was reported from around Redcar in NE England? From memory it would be in the period from 1985 - 1988.

Many thanks.
You mean the one at Saltburn Feb 1986? If memory serves it turned up on 31 Jan and I saw it on 1 Feb.
Britseye is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 16:34   #3
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 15,014
It had gone by the 13th when I got there.

John
Farnboro John is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 16:38   #4
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.
 
JWN Andrewes's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Flintshire, UK
Posts: 4,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
You mean the one at Saltburn Feb 1986? If memory serves it turned up on 31 Jan and I saw it on 1 Feb.
I saw it the following day. Directions were "head for the beach, look for a big ring of birders, bird's in the middle". About right. A fondly remembered very early twitch. Little Auk & Waxwing ticked on the same day.
__________________
Last Lifer - (2325) Eastern Black-eared Wheatear.
Last UK - (463) Eastern Yellow Wagtail.
Last North Wales - (254) Great White Egret.
Last Garden - (97) Dunlin.
JWN Andrewes is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 16:48   #5
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 15,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
I saw it the following day. Directions were "head for the beach, look for a big ring of birders, bird's in the middle". About right. A fondly remembered very early twitch. Little Auk & Waxwing ticked on the same day.
Missed those as well. We did get a Serin in a small park, and a bunch of Arctic and Mealy Redpolls on the way back. In between we'd had 2bXb at some reservoir and King Eider at Loch Fleet and some other stuff.

It was very cold and there was a fair amount of snow about.

John
Farnboro John is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 17:07   #6
Jon Turner
Registered User
 
Jon Turner's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Devon, England
Posts: 4,423
I didn't see any of them - ah the advantage of not being a twitcher.

Still waiting for a South West Ivory Gull. It may well be a long wait!
__________________
Jon
Jon Turner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 18:00   #7
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire
Posts: 4,743
I remember being interviewed for local radio while having a celebratory pint in the nearest pub - February 1st 1986. Found the previous day by the legendary DJ Britton.

Steve
Steve Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 18:23   #8
Chris Bell
Registered User
 
Chris Bell's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Darlington
Posts: 76
The Saltburn Ivory Gull was present from 31st January to 8th February 1986. Some pics here...

https://www.teesmouthbc.com/gallerie...toduplicate-2/

Hope this helps.
Chris Bell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 18:44   #9
Britseye
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Isles of Scilly
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
In between we'd had 2bXb at some reservoir and King Eider at Loch Fleet and some other stuff.

It was very cold and there was a fair amount of snow about.

John
Two-barred Crossbill: Carron Valley. Arrived at 3am with Alan Lewis and we built a snowman before the light came up.

Isn't getting old great when you can remember stuff like this - including the exact bloody date that Ivory Gull turned up;I didn't look it up honest! - and yet nowadays I can't even remember whether it was this year, last year, or the year before something or other happened in the birding World.

Time.Memory.Consciousness. What's it all about, mate, eh, eh

Sorry OP. Bet you wish you'd never asked now.
Britseye is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 20:21   #10
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 15,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britseye View Post
Two-barred Crossbill: Carron Valley. Arrived at 3am with Alan Lewis and we built a snowman before the light came up.

Isn't getting old great when you can remember stuff like this - including the exact bloody date that Ivory Gull turned up;I didn't look it up honest! - and yet nowadays I can't even remember whether it was this year, last year, or the year before something or other happened in the birding World.

Time.Memory.Consciousness. What's it all about, mate, eh, eh

Sorry OP. Bet you wish you'd never asked now.
Carron Valley: yes! Female. We arrived as it was getting light and two blokes had been sleeping in a Ford Escort with snow up to the axles. Rather them than me!

There had been a wreck of seabirds on the coast and I had a frozen Razorbill that we used to leave in the snow overnight and then put back in the car to travel on. It sat in the freezer at home with Mum blithely unworried but when my brother found it he went ballistic.

I can still remember the yell from all four of us in the car when we all got on the male King Eider simultaneously.

John
Farnboro John is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 11th June 2020, 21:54   #11
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
 
Larry Sweetland's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bristol
Posts: 7,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell View Post
The Saltburn Ivory Gull was present from 31st January to 8th February 1986. Some pics here...

https://www.teesmouthbc.com/gallerie...toduplicate-2/

Hope this helps.
I went on the train from Reading on the 9th. Still haven't seen one :)
Larry Sweetland is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 12th June 2020, 01:12   #12
rosbifs
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Luz St Sauveur, France
Posts: 4,256
I went the 1st or the 2nd - which was the weekend... just looked over sea wall...
rosbifs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 12th June 2020, 10:22   #13
Tom Lawson
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: York,England
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosbifs View Post
I went the 1st or the 2nd - which was the weekend... just looked over sea wall...
Went there on the afternoon of 31st Jan.with a friend.We were on our own there and stood for over an hour on the top of the sea wall looking at the beach before it got dark.No bird.As we left a local passed by and asked if we had seen the rarity.He then told us to look directly down over the wall,and there was the bird hard up against the wall eating a dead Guillemot! Saved by a local!
Tom Lawson.
Tom Lawson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 13th June 2020, 01:53   #14
anderson10
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 69
I went down from Lothian with Frank Hamilton and his son, those two were a great laugh on a long drive ! Bird was right there on arrival, excellent twitch !
anderson10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ivory Gull Richard Klim Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature 1 Saturday 29th August 2015 12:10
Ivory Gull Gonçalo Elias Portugal including Madeira 3 Thursday 27th November 2014 09:23
Gyr and Ivory Gull Brosnabirder Birds Of Prey 5 Tuesday 23rd February 2010 07:39

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.12241292 seconds with 28 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:17.