Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Niltava banyumas mardii

Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 08:48   #1
Taphrospilus

Niltava banyumas mardii

Maybe a start. The OD of Niltava banyumas mardii we find in...

Quote:
Hoogerwerf A. (1962) Some ornithological notes on the smaller Islands around Java (with the description of seven new subspecies). ARDEA 50 (3-4): 180 - 206.
This what's written there:

Quote:
The subspecific name is dedicated to one of the senior taxidermists of the Bogor Museum who accompanied us to Prinsen Island.
Maybe someone have more information on the taxidermist?
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 09:37   #2
James Jobling

Current Key entries:
madzoedi
Madzoed or Madzud (fl. 1929) Javanese preparator at Zoologisch Mus. Buitenzorg, collector in the East Indies (cf. “Named for a Sudanese [sic] collector” (Richmond Card Index)) (syn. Terpsiphone paradisi affinis) (see mardii).
mardii
Madi (fl. 1951) senior taxidermist at Bogor Mus., Java (Jan van der Brugge in litt.) (syn. Cyornis banyumas) (see madzoedi).
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 09:42   #3
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Hoogerwerf also says: "All types mentioned in this paper are in the Zoölogical Museum at Bogor (Indonesia); paratypes are in the Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie at Leiden (Netherlands)" ... the latter being today's Naturalis (Biodiversity Center), which make me think that Justin might know who is hiding, lurking behind the mardii name.

The Paper itself; Hoogerwerf, A. (1962) Some ornithological notes on the smaller Islands around Java (with the description of seven new subspecies). Ardea 50 (3-4) : 180–206, can be seen, in full, here (free access for anyone, if only having registered an e-mail-address, but no problem ...)

The same paper also incl. for example: "Dicrurus hottentottus faberi", "Turnix suscitator baweanus", "Psittacula alexandri kangeanensis" ... and so on.

Also note that those collections were made "Between 1950 and 1957 ...", thereby I suppose you (or anyone else, of course) ought to look for a Mr. Mard (or Mardi?) working for the Bogor Museum in that certain period.

Good luck finding him!

/B
--

Last edited by Calalp : Tuesday 30th June 2020 at 09:56. Reason: ,
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 10:11   #4
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Sigh! Earlier dealt with, back in 2016 (here).

I had forgotten about that one all together. Sorry for stirring this unwarranted pot/puzzle.

mardii [and the 'mantri', Mr. Madi] ... over and out! (at least on my part)

/B
--

Last edited by Calalp : Wednesday 1st July 2020 at 08:45. Reason: rephrased/reshuffled
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 10:44   #5
Taphrospilus

Did not get why Madzoed or Madzud must be equal to Madi (Mardi). Even from the old thread. For me remain pure speculation.

https://e-journal.biologi.lipi.go.id...view/2568/2210 assume saäni is a similar mystery. (but seems to be Mantri Saän)

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Tuesday 30th June 2020 at 11:10.
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 11:11   #6
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
Did not get why Madzoed or Madzud must be equal to Madi (Mardi). Even from the old thread. For me remain pure speculation.
I definitely didn't say "must be equal", but "Could ... maybe, possibly be short (or a "nick-name") for ...".

How can this be interpreted as "must be"?

I thought I was pretty clear, it was simply a speculation (that maybe, possibly could have taken us forward) ... but apparently not.

If anyone have done such a claim, it sure wasn't me.

/B
--

Last edited by Calalp : Tuesday 30th June 2020 at 11:17.
Old Tuesday 30th June 2020, 12:26   #7
l_raty
laurent raty

See also https://e-journal.biologi.lipi.go.id...ticle/view/459

(This is the Sudaryanti, Somadikarta and Darjono 2006 publication that Jan alluded to in the first message of other thread. In this paper, Madi and Madzoed are both attributed the collection of various specimens and, so far as can be assessed, they are treated as dstinct.)
Old Wednesday 1st July 2020, 08:04   #8
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post

How can this be interpreted as "must be"?
It was more a comment about James quote (see madzoedi). As Laurent showed they are two different persons.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: