Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Some doubts on Prévost

Old Monday 13th July 2020, 09:06   #51
mb1848

Is this it?
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...97025#/summary .
Old Tuesday 14th July 2020, 06:28   #52
Taphrospilus

As...

Quote:
Chez Baudin Frères, Éditeurs
...I would say this is not the correct edition. As well I do not see any plate (especially from Prévost).
Old Tuesday 14th July 2020, 09:45   #53
mb1848

page 179 of https://books.google.com/books?id=2E...lesson&f=false .
Old Tuesday 14th July 2020, 11:50   #54
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
Apart of the year of death, I have another question. In René Ronsil we can find:
Quote:
Œuvres complètes de Buffon avec les descriptions anatomiques de Daubenton (Paris, Lagrange et Verdière, 1824-1832, in 8o). Oiseaux : 11 vol. avec 245 pl. Lithographie de C. Motte) et peintres. Elles sont presque toutes de P. Oudart (les autre par PRÉVOST et WERER) et on retrouve ces même figures dans beaucoup d’autre ouvrage de l’époque.
As well
Quote:
Œuvres complètes, suivies de la classification de Cuvier, Lesson, etc., etc., Nouvelle édition, par M. Richard (Paris, Pourrat 1837 gr. in-8o). Oiseaux: 2 vol. avec 142 pl. col. par PRÊTRE, TRAVIÉS, CHAZAL, PRÉVOST, OUDART, MEUNIER et gravée par BEAUPRÉ, BOUREY, CORBIÉ, A: FOURNIER, GUYARD; LEBRUN; LEGAND; MACEAU; MOINARD; OUDET; PERROT; Mme THOREL.
Where can we find this editions?

Martin, I also gave it a (quick) try ...
Quote:
Œuvres complètes de Buffon avec les descriptions anatomiques de Daubenton (Paris, Lagrange et Verdière, 1824-1832, in 8o). Oiseaux : 11 vol. avec 245 pl. Lithographie de C. Motte) et peintres. Elles sont presque toutes de P. Oudart (les autre par PRÉVOST et WERER) et on retrouve ces même figures dans beaucoup d’autre ouvrage de l’époque.
Maybe, at least one of them: "OISEAUX.—Tome VI." (1826), here ... ?

The other one: "Œuvres complètes [de Buffon], suivies de la classification de Cuvier, Lesson, etc., etc., Nouvelle édition, par M. Richard ..." ... I cannot find. At least not right now. Sorry. But I think I've seen it (and both/all) earlier online. Have you checked Hathi (as of here)?

And remember; it is always tricky to find the many Works by Buffon, published in a multitude of Editions in many, many versions (for examples; see here).

Good luck finding it!

And: Let us know, if and when, you find them (simply to save anyone some unwarranted work, looking for it).

/B
--

Last edited by Calalp : Tuesday 14th July 2020 at 12:36. Reason: PS. deleted. Thanks, James
Old Tuesday 14th July 2020, 12:01   #55
James Jobling

Ronsil, René. 1948-1949. Bibliographie Ornithologique Française. Travaux publiés en langue française et en latin en France et dans les Colonies Françaises de 1473 à 1944. Encyclopédie Ornithologique Vol. VIII (Tome I)-Vol. IX (Tome II). Paul Lechevalier, Paris. pp. 1-534 (Tome I), 1-89 (Tome II).

Ronsil, René. 1957. L'Art Français dans le Livre d'Oiseaux (Eléments d'une iconographie ornithologique française). Mémoires du Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle. Nouvelle série. Série A. Zoologie. Tome XV. Fascicule 1. Editions du Muséum, Paris. pp. 133; col. figures, b/w figures.
Old Tuesday 14th July 2020, 14:29   #56
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
Maybe, at least one of them: "OISEAUX.—Tome VI." (1826), here ... ?
Definetly one of them. But all Paul Louis Oudart plates (not surprising as Ronsil mentioned that the majority have been delivered by him). And the quality of scans ist in fact not a highlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
And remember; it is always tricky to find the many Works by Buffon, published in a multitude of Editions in many, many versions (for examples; see here).
Tricky? I remember my post (and others) like...

Quote:
I gave up to understand all this different publications of Oeuvres completes de Buffon. Gubernatrix might be even in Biodiversity Heritage Library to find. But which Edition can I find this Volume 8 where Lesson described Gubernatrix?

OK here.
I think it is a case for Tom Cruise (Mission: Impossible).
Old Tuesday 14th July 2020, 16:30   #57
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Martin, some (far) better scans of (Paul Louis)) Oudart's Artwork; here, here or here.

Or here.

Other (not all that skilled) illustrators of Oiseaux in Oeuvres completes de Buffon, here.

Hopefully of some use?

/B
-

Last edited by Calalp : Wednesday 15th July 2020 at 10:22. Reason: Deleted PS, instead moved to post #60
Old Tuesday 14th July 2020, 18:46   #58
Taphrospilus

Hi Björn, I know Paul Louis Oudart was beside Jean Gabriel Prêtre, Édouard Traviès, Jean-Baptiste Meunier (1786-1858), Jean-Charles Werner (1798–1856) (Johann-Carl Werner), Jean-Baptiste (-MARIE) HUET (b Paris, 15 Oct 1745; d Paris, 27 Jan 1811). etc. one of the most productive bird artists in France in that epoque and there are many more works with plates from him and the others on biodiversity. As this thread is about Prévost my focus was on the Buffon plates from Prévost. And according the second of James books from Ronsil there are only two editions where we can find his works. And that's what I am interested in most at the moment. They are missing in here (in most of the works you can find this plates of the other artists mentioned). Not that surprising in context with Huet as he was a student of him.

Of course all nice plates. But thank you for your support.

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Wednesday 15th July 2020 at 07:19.
Old Wednesday 15th July 2020, 06:51   #59
Taphrospilus

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jobling View Post
This is from C. E. Jackson, 1999, Dictionary of Bird Artists of the World, p. 399:
"PRÉVOST, Alphonse fl. 1830-1850 French artist and ornithologist who prepared several sets of bird paintings for French records of their voyages of discovery. He was the artist of the ornithological section of the voyage of La Bonite in 1841, the artist in the report on the voyage of La Coquille by R P Lesson 1826-30, and the voyage of the Astrolabe by J C P Quoy 1830-33. When M A P O Desmurs planned a continuation of Buffon's great work, he employed Prévost to do 24 of the coloured lithographs and P L Oudart 48, for Iconographie Ornithologique 1845-49. He worked at the natural history museum in Paris. A helmet bird Euryceros prevosti was named after him.

PRÉVOST, Florent d. 1870 French naturalist who worked at the natural history museum, Paris from 1832-70 as an artist. A subspecies of Ptilonopus [sic] mercierii was named for him in 1849, and the green-breasted mango, a humming-bird species, Anthracothorax prevostii in 1832. He worked on birds taken to France from the voyage round the world of the corvette La Bonite for nine colour plates. Another two plates, of a Turdus and an Anthus were painted by him for Magasin de Zoologie 1836."
Regarding Florent I simply think C. E. Jackson mixed up things. If we look https://archive.org/details/leshetje...ge/28/mode/1up but I must admit the different Prévosts in the book are very confusing. Note there was also a flower painter https://books.google.com/books?id=Is--DwAAQBAJ&pg=PA251 Jean Louis Prevost the younger. I found as well about him:

Quote:
VERY little is known about Jean Louis Prévost (about 1760–1810). He came from a long line of artists and was a pupil of the famous Bachelier who was art director of the Vincennes and Sèvres porcelain factory from 1751.
Old Wednesday 15th July 2020, 10:21   #60
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
... As this thread is about Prévost my focus was on the Buffon plates from Prévost. And according the second of James books from Ronsil there are only two editions where we can find his works. And that's what I am interested in most at the moment.

...But thank you for your support.
You're welcome Martin, glad if I can help.

One more (or maybe, simply; one less, to look for): "Oeuvres complètes de Buffon: avec les descriptions anatomiques de Daubenton, son collaborateur". Paris ... Ladrange [sic] et Verdière. 40 volumes (in full view, here). Birds in vol. 31-40, 1824–1830, on Title page/s (note; vol. 30 is missing). All Plates by "P. Oudart" (Lith. de C. Motte). Most of them in colour, some in black-and-white. [Hummingbirds (and Parrots) in vol.36 (Oiseaux.—Tome VII), in full colour].

But no Plates by any Prévost. Too bad.

/B
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: