Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kaeng Krachan Access?

Old Sunday 6th January 2008, 19:59   #1
Paul Pearson

Kaeng Krachan Access?

Hi

I am part of a UK team hoping to visit visit Kaeng Krachan NP in mid-march 2008 as part of a wider north/south trip.

Does anyone know if access has been possible this winter? We would be very grateful for any up to date access information for this site (as well as any latest bird gen of course)

many thanks

Paul
Old Sunday 6th January 2008, 20:01   #2
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Pearson View Post
Hi

I am part of a UK team hoping to visit visit Kaeng Krachan NP in mid-march 2008 as part of a wider north/south trip.

Does anyone know if access has been possible this winter? We would be very grateful for any up to date access information for this site (as well as any latest bird gen of course)

many thanks

Paul
PM Norfolkbirder - he got back a couple of days ago
Old Monday 7th January 2008, 19:10   #3
Paul Pearson

Hi Tim

Thanks for that - sounds excellent.

Help me with the acronym though - how do I find his email address? Sorry if I'm a bit slow!

Paul
Old Tuesday 8th January 2008, 07:41   #4
Marmot

Here is a link to Norfolkbirders profile....his Pm is on here.

http://www.birdforum.net/member.php?u=36263

To find anyone in future, near the top right of the page you see the word "View" on the drop down for this you get members list. From the members list there is a search box, so put whoever you are after in.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 9th January 2008, 12:48   #5
johnraven

Paul - if you get a response to the negative, pls do post it here, thanks
john
Old Wednesday 9th January 2008, 20:18   #6
Paul Pearson

The news appears positive.

Initial responses from Nick Upton (Thaibirding.com) and Dominic Le Croissotte are encouraging (see coloured text below). Both believe access should be OK with a suitable vehicle.

I have also had excellent recent news from norfolkbirder who has just returned from Thailand and access is possible at KK :
"KK – access is okay from 5am, but fi you want to go all the way to the top you will need a 4 wheel drive, as the road deteriotes beyond the scope of a car after the 2nd gate. If you know KK you will be fine of course – if not make sure you have explicit directions to the Park entry gate ( now where near the Park HQ!!) we had a bit of difficulty find the entrance as there are no English signs for the last 5-6K.
[Dominic Le Croissotte gives such directions - see his KK report on Thaibirding.com]
Really good Park ranger called “Jacky” at the second gate, razor sharp & keen. Birding was easiest from the road, tried wandering into forest on a few trails but very difficult."

Thanks to all for help

Paul
Old Wednesday 9th January 2008, 22:04   #7
johnraven

Thanks for relaying the info Paul, v helpful. I should be there in late Feb
John
Old Thursday 10th January 2008, 17:31   #8
Paul Pearson

No problem John

Sounds like we could usefully share gen for our upcoming trips? Shall we PM on it?

Paul
Old Wednesday 30th January 2008, 15:33   #9
johnraven

Does anyone know if it is necessary to have a 4WD vehicle to drive from the Ban Krang campsite to Panoen Tong campsite (in KK) during the dry season? Some reports seem to suggest it is necessary (e.g. thaibirding.com site description) and other reports suggest it is not necessary.
Old Thursday 31st January 2008, 17:31   #10
johnraven

Further research definitely does point towards the 4WD necessity. I'll hitch.
Old Thursday 31st January 2008, 18:44   #11
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnraven View Post
I'll hitch.
the best and cheapest option by far

or Motorbike taxi - bit more exciting!

Tim
Old Friday 1st February 2008, 08:33   #12
johnraven

I would hire a motorbike, but they're not allowed in Kaeng Krachan due to the noise.
Old Friday 1st February 2008, 10:39   #13
John Eaton

We visited in late December 2006 and took a car, on the basis that it was possible to get to the top the year before by car.
However on getting to the first stream (km16.5 I believe) we managed a slight dint in the front spoiler on crossing (even though we inched forward). Then a couple of Kms past the second stream we came to a steep slope with loads of loose rocks, and however much we tried we couldn't get up. So bloody annoying, but at least the hire car company didn't notice the damage.
John - this is between the two campsites.
I can only imagine it has deteriorated since, so a 4x4, or at the very least a high ground clearance 4x2 truck will be needed.
There were plenty of people around in 4x4's on the track when we were there (they rightly thought we were mad in a little car). So hitching would have been easy, however it was over the Christmas holidays so not typical I would suggest.

OBC Helping to conserve Asia's birds

www.orientalbirdclub.org
www.orientalbirdimages.org

Last edited by John Eaton : Friday 1st February 2008 at 11:03.
Old Sunday 3rd February 2008, 23:44   #14
birdboybowley
BF Supporter 2020

Yeas, a 4x4 is a necessity for doing KK. I visited in April 06 and wouldn't have gotten very high up the mountain without one! Its was cheap too, a little Suzuki from Petchaburi Car Rentals in Bangkok (not in Petchaburi..doh!). If you tell them a friend had recommended them to you, you may get a better deal too.
Also remember you can only go up and down at certain times, and don't forget to take loads of food if your camping as it's a long long way back to the nearest restaurant! And petrol station for that matter....
Another plus for having your own transport is night driving down to the entrance gate and back again - good for nightjars and mammals.

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 5th February 2008, 07:32   #15
gandytron

Just to clarify on access in Kaeng Krachan, during the wet season the Park rangers seem to close the road beyond Ban Krang campsite. Wet season officially "ends" (!) on 1st November. I went in late October and was told I wasn't allowed to drive up beyond Ban Krang (which was annoying as I had hired a 4WD especially for the trip).

I'm going back late Feb and have booked a rear-wheel SUV for getting up to the top (Panoen Tong campsite) - the main problem in the past has been ground clearance (as mentioned by John Eaton), rather than actually needing to engage the 4WD...famous last words :o)

However if any one has been recently and knows that 4WD is essential this season please let me know so i can change my hire car!

Oh, and has anyone seen white-fronted scops owl at KK recently?

Last edited by gandytron : Tuesday 5th February 2008 at 07:41.
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 09:38   #16
johnraven

Thanks for the info, v useful. I've found a good deal on a pick-up from a bunch called Q-Cars. That should get me up anything.

John

Last edited by johnraven : Friday 8th February 2008 at 10:00.
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 22:31   #17
Jon Gallagher

I'll also be in the area (central and north) at the very end of this month. Any info sharing is appreciated!

Jon
Old Tuesday 12th February 2008, 12:11   #18
johnraven

Jon, I'll be there the week before you. I'll post some info on here if I get the chance / have any info in the first place! You have of course been to thaibirding.com?
Old Tuesday 12th February 2008, 13:52   #19
Jon Gallagher

Thanks John, that would be much appreciated! Yes, I've checked out thaibirding.com and downloaded some trip reports from there, as well as elsewhere. Up-to-date gen would be even better, since some of the reports are quite old...! What sites are you expecting to visit? I'm just looking at Kai Yao and the three Doi's in the north...
Old Tuesday 12th February 2008, 17:25   #20
johnraven

I'm sticking to the centre - I only have 8 days. My plan is Laem Pak Bia (1d), Kaeng Krachan NP (2-3d), Khao Yai NP (2-3d) and Nam Nao NP (2d), but if KK and KY are real good, I might miss out NN at the end. I would love to go to the north - it'll have to be another time.
Old Wednesday 13th February 2008, 00:43   #21
Jon Gallagher

I meant Khao Yai (must learn to get these names right!). Sounds like you have a good itinerary. As you say, no time to do it all... I'll be interested in what you find at KK as well
Old Wednesday 13th February 2008, 12:38   #22
johnraven

A Thai speaking friend was trying to teach me how to pronounce them correctly. Nam Nao was easy. Khao Yai was as it sounds, Kaeng Krachan a bit harder. She just laughed at my Laem Pak Bia attempt.
Old Thursday 14th February 2008, 01:46   #23
Jon Gallagher

I'm just taking a multi-lingual map!
Old Thursday 14th February 2008, 05:10   #24
gandytron

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnraven View Post
A Thai speaking friend was trying to teach me how to pronounce them correctly. Nam Nao was easy. Khao Yai was as it sounds, Kaeng Krachan a bit harder. She just laughed at my Laem Pak Bia attempt.
Don't take it personally - I have lived here 5 years and I still have a few taxi drivers look at me like I'm mad when I ask them to take me to certain addresses in town because I pronounce the place with an ever so slightly incorrect tone.

The classic phrase every student of Thai linguistics uses as an example of how hard it is to learn the language is "new wood never burns" which in Thai sounds something like "Mai maai mai maii"!!!!

A bi-lingual map, a good sense of humour, lots of smiles and patience will help you a lot and your attempts at the simplest of phrases will be appreciated and will probably be met with a lot of friendly giggling. Many road signs are now in English, which helps a lot.

Enjoy!
Old Friday 22nd February 2008, 11:53   #25
johnraven

The upper road does need a high clearance vehicle, but theres no need for 4wd at the moment. Big tyres might help though. My vigo made mince meat of it.

Lots of Broadbill action when I was there, although I seemed to miss most of it. All I saw was Silver Breasted and Long tailed. Others saw Black and Red from the path that crosses the stream on the HQ side of Ban Trang (about 100m E of campsite), and Black and Yellow just before first stream to the W of Ban Trang. I had an imm Greater Spotted Eagle on the approach road (before the gate), which seemed a tad odd.

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: