Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Perfect Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 on ebay!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 13:05   #1
Dialyt
The Definitive Binocular

Arrow Perfect Zeiss Dialyt 7x42T*P on ebay!

I'm not the seller, but I noticed this nice specimen on ebay.

I have a pair of these myself but don't use them, which is a shame. They would be the best binoculars in the world.... if they were waterproof! I think they represent a good investment for the future.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZEISS-Binocula...ayphotohosting
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 17:34   #2
Bubbs

You often see these on e-bay going for silly money but I would be very surprised if these actually fetched the 'buy it now' price.
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 17:36   #3
Dialyt
The Definitive Binocular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbs View Post
You often see these on e-bay going for silly money but I would be very surprised if these actually fetched the 'buy it now' price.
Is it possible to find out or is that info hidden?
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 17:46   #4
Edward woodwood

still got mine and still the best ever for me - amazing resolution and brightness

mine have never let any water in either in 17 years' use all over the world
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 18:54   #5
trashbird

No one will bid on these. First, they are priced too high. Second, ebayers like to actually BID on items. Starting at a low price and moving up. Who knows. A bidding war might actually get the price beyond its "buy now" price.

Great binos, though.
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 18:57   #6
Dialyt
The Definitive Binocular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbird View Post
No one will bid on these. First, they are priced too high. Second, ebayers like to actually BID on items. Starting at a low price and moving up. Who knows. A bidding war might actually get the price beyond its "buy now" price.

Great binos, though.
I think the binoculars are worth 700 to someone who is on the lookout for a pair. This is the problem with ebay - it is a poor place to sell anything that is actually worth something. Great for junk, crap for selling quality products. People want everything for nothing.

Anyone agree/disagree?
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 19:06   #7
Gordon

Tempted to agree with you Dialyt.

I tried to sell a brand new boxed camcorder plus accessories worth another 50 - about 210 worth for 100m including postage and there were no takers. Decided in the end just to hang onto it.

Gordon
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 19:12   #8
trashbird

Ebay is a buyer's market. Unless you are a big store that can absorb the selling costs, and make a profit by selling in bulk, selling is a very disappointing experience.
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 19:22   #9
Dialyt
The Definitive Binocular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Tempted to agree with you Dialyt.

I tried to sell a brand new boxed camcorder plus accessories worth another 50 - about 210 worth for 100m including postage and there were no takers. Decided in the end just to hang onto it.

Gordon
Maybe your asking price was too high?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

But you are right. My Kowa experience will probably be my last. I can't sell a mint scope at a good price. But then my listing was for UK only.
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 20:01   #10
Gordon

You're right Dialyt - but was an incredible wee camera
Gordon
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 20:17   #11
Bubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialyt View Post
I'm not the seller, but I noticed this nice specimen on ebay.

I have a pair of these myself but don't use them, which is a shame. They would be the best binoculars in the world.... if they were waterproof! I think they represent a good investment for the future.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZEISS-Binocula...ayphotohosting
Like Tim, my Dialy'ts are silly years old...why would you ever need a waterproof pair of binoculars??? have people never heard of a coat or rainguard; saying that I did bin my rain guard in 1981!
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 20:40   #12
Dialyt
The Definitive Binocular

Quote:
Like Tim, my Dialy'ts are silly years old...why would you ever need a waterproof pair of binoculars??? have people never heard of a coat or rainguard; saying that I did bin my rain guard in 1981!
Why would you bin it? It's worth 15.00.
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 20:52   #13
Bubbs

Quote:
Why would you bin it? It's worth 15.00.
In 1981 it was worthless and we didn't have e (Extortionate) bay.
Old Friday 8th February 2008, 20:54   #14
Dialyt
The Definitive Binocular

Quote:
In 1981 it was worthless and we didn't have e (Extortionate) bay.
That's how much a UK based optics dealer is charging for replacements, and I believe that is the Zeiss official replacement price for the rainguard.

BTW is there much difference between 1981 7x42s and the T*P ones in terms of optical performance?
Old Saturday 9th February 2008, 00:33   #15
nyatt

Just so you know, I sold a mint pair of 7x42's 2 months ago on Ebay. I got $1500 from a Brit who asked if I would accept it as a "buy it now". So the Ebay system can work...
Old Saturday 9th February 2008, 01:07   #16
bkrownd

Quote:
Ebay is a buyer's market. Unless you are a big store that can absorb the selling costs, and make a profit by selling in bulk, selling is a very disappointing experience.
Hah! You haven't seen the stack of the "yuck, why did I buy this?" music CDs I've been able to unload for good cash on e-Bay! I was a happy camper. I also sold some antique NOS Numitrons to a guy in Germany for big bux, too!

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 9th February 2008, 01:11   #17
lucznik
Inspector Gadget

I watch optics selling on ebay all the time. I almost never bid but, it's fun to see what people will pay.

I routinely see stuff sell for exorbitantly high prices - sometimes at or close to the price of the very same item bought NEW in a store. Only very rarely have I seen any quality optics sell for anything like what I would consider to be a bargain.
Old Saturday 9th February 2008, 01:25   #18
trashbird

It must just be my personal experience. But I do know that seller fees and Pay Pal fees can really cut into your final take.

Zeiss 7x42 Dialyts must be a collector's item to bring in that much. Seems like I remember Cabela's selling them new for maybe $800 a few years ago?
Old Saturday 9th February 2008, 01:29   #19
Dialyt
The Definitive Binocular

Quote:
It must just be my personal experience. But I do know that seller fees and Pay Pal fees can really cut into your final take.

Zeiss 7x42 Dialyts must be a collector's item to bring in that much. Seems like I remember Cabela's selling them new for maybe $800 a few years ago?
IMHO they are the most comfortable bin in the hand, and the view is wonderful. The Swaro EL are the only bin to attempt to match the hand comfort, but look odd.
Old Monday 11th February 2008, 12:08   #20
Leif
Registered Member

Quote:
I think the binoculars are worth 700 to someone who is on the lookout for a pair. This is the problem with ebay - it is a poor place to sell anything that is actually worth something. Great for junk, crap for selling quality products. People want everything for nothing.

Anyone agree/disagree?
Ebay is good for selling popular stuff and buying unpopular or grey market items. Buyers tend to go by brand names, and Zeiss is one of the big brand names. As are Leica and Swarovski. Less so Nikon IMO.

I picked up a brand new copy of Photosop CS2 for less than half the shop price. And I got a right angle finder for almost nothing.

I sold a Nikon 70-210 lens for a decent price thanks to silly reviews by someone called Ken Rockwell.

But I sold a Nikon 28mm F2.8 AFD lens for a low price. Sadly it has no hyped reviews.

I think the trick is to wait for an item like the one you are selling to appear, then find out what it goes for. That will tell you if it is worth selling, in which case put up your item with no reserve. That attracts silly bids. And then less silly ones follow. People seem to like biding 600 on an item with lots of bids, but will not bid 600 on an item with no bids and a 600 starting price. I suspect past bids give them confidence. Silly really. Of course there is the element of fear/risk with no reserve.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 11th February 2008, 14:32   #21
Dialyt
The Definitive Binocular

advice sought

I am selling a scope on ebay. I calculated that if I sell on ebay via Paypal, I am set to lose 15.00 or more in Paypal fees, in addition to Ebay fees. I think this is a joke. Essentially it means one is paying Ebay twice; once for listing, and once for payment, via their own payment arm (Paypal).

If I remove the ebay option, do you reckon that would put folk off? I am perfecly happy to accept bank transfer, cheque, or PO. I object to paying 15 of my money to Paypal Corp.

What reassurance can you give to potential buyers than upon bank transfer payment, you will actually supply the goods? I know I'm trustworthy, but how do I convince potential buyers? How do I safeguard their interests?

Last edited by Dialyt : Monday 11th February 2008 at 14:56.
Old Monday 11th February 2008, 16:36   #22
John M Robinson

As a buyer I prefer sending a check. I use the sellers ebay feedback rating and number of feedbacks as a way to gauge the sellers honesty and reliabilty. That said I've never bought anything over a couple of hundred dollars.
Old Monday 11th February 2008, 16:45   #23
Dialyt
The Definitive Binocular

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M Robinson View Post
As a buyer I prefer sending a check. I use the sellers ebay feedback rating and number of feedbacks as a way to gauge the sellers honesty and reliabilty. That said I've never bought anything over a couple of hundred dollars.
I'm a 1st time seller though.
Old Monday 11th February 2008, 17:20   #24
lucznik
Inspector Gadget

Quote:
I'm a 1st time seller though.
You're kind of "stuck between a rock and a hard place" then. I know that I personally use a seller's feedback score to determine how much I'm willing to risk on the product both arriving and being in its advertised condition. This is especially true for "first time sellers" who have no feedback whatsoever.

I will often pass up a seller with little or no feedback, even if he has something I really want, just because I have no real way of gauging how risky the transaction is. Many sellers do this as well. For example, I have often seen auctions where the seller's instructions include the counsel that you should not bid if you have fewer than say, 15 feedback scores and/or if your overall score is under a certain percentage (usually 95% or so.) Such instructions usually inform you that, should you not qualify but choose to bid anyway, the seller will cancel your bid.

It might be best for you to sell some inconseqential stuff on ebay first so as to build a feedback rating before you try to sell something of high value. You also might want to exhaust all other means of trying to sell your scope first.
Old Monday 11th February 2008, 20:26   #25
John M Robinson

An other option would be to find an ebay seller in your area, with good feedback, to act as your broker. They will probably charge you more than the paypal fees, but at least it's negotiable. I'm lucky in that my friends wife is a pro ebay seller, but that doesn't mean she doesn't charge me.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: