Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Is this over sharpened ?

Old Wednesday 11th June 2008, 18:07   #1
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Is this over sharpened ?

This looks ok on my CRT (calibrated) monitor but on my Laptop it looks well over sharpened. Does it look over sharpened to you - if so what type of monitor are you using (CRT or LCD)?.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gtit1.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	144448  

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 11th June 2008, 19:08   #2
Saphire
Christine

Fantastic close up Roy and it looks great on my monitor, its not over sharpened at all.
Old Wednesday 11th June 2008, 19:25   #3
The Valley Walker

Looks bloody fantastic on my monitor too....congratulations Roy !!
Old Wednesday 11th June 2008, 19:25   #4
666taz
Phill Wain

Looks ok to me ,it could be just about at top of sharpening level but i wouldent say its over shaprend, i'm using a LCD,i sometimes think the crystals make the image look diffrent to a CRT but thats just my opinion.
Old Wednesday 11th June 2008, 19:35   #5
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666taz View Post
i'm using a LCD,i sometimes think the crystals make the image look different to a CRT but thats just my opinion.
I think you are right Phil which is why I was asking the question - it looks awful on my laptop but because my CRT is getting on a bit now I was wondering if it was on its way out.

Old Wednesday 11th June 2008, 21:49   #6
mike from ebbw

Looks good to me too Roy.
When my monitor blew a while back I actually went out to buy a CRT monitor.I cant get used to these new fangled LCD thingamabobbies!
Old Thursday 12th June 2008, 04:58   #7
tzanampeths

Hi Roy,

looks great on the CRT. Over sharpened on the laptop's LCD, but then everything looks crappy on this laptop.

Great shot!

Takis

Last edited by tzanampeths : Thursday 12th June 2008 at 05:00.
Old Thursday 12th June 2008, 05:03   #8
HokkaidoStu
occasional moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Looks fine on my 4 year old i-mac!

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th June 2008, 06:21   #9
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Thanks for the feedback guys, it would appear that my six year old CRT is still holding up.

Old Friday 13th June 2008, 07:53   #10
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

it looks a bit over sharpened to me (viewing on an LCD).

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th June 2008, 08:42   #11
POP
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
This looks ok on my CRT (calibrated) monitor but on my Laptop it looks well over sharpened. Does it look over sharpened to you - if so what type of monitor are you using (CRT or LCD)?.
I am no photographer,I am a "looker" it appears to me perfect and if I took a photo like that it would be one hell of a "wow" factor.Incidentally my monitor is an LCD.

POP
Old Friday 13th June 2008, 15:42   #12
fugl
Forum Member

It looks a little contrasty on my LCD monitor, but I don't see any problem with over-sharpening. Nice picture.

Last edited by fugl : Friday 13th June 2008 at 15:46.
Old Monday 16th June 2008, 20:11   #13
mjmw
formally known as mw_aurora

Looks ok on both my calibrated LCDs Roy.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th June 2008, 19:13   #14
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Oversharpened on my calibrated LCD. It kinda looks (and no offence meant, Roy) like it's been "robustly" sharpened to make up for detail lost by NR - there's a kind of "smeared" look to it, where you might expect a close-up shot like this to show fine feather detail.

I've attached a lightly sharpened 100% crop of a Titchwell robin taken with the 100-400mm (and TC) on the 30D to show what looks "natural" to my eyes. You can see a difference in the feather detail.

Again, no offence, Roy - I'm just fussy about things looking natural and not heavily processed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100 crop cs3.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	145505  

Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS, TCs.
www.capture-the-moment.co.uk

Last edited by Keith Reeder : Tuesday 17th June 2008 at 19:26.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th June 2008, 19:39   #15
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Reeder View Post
Oversharpened on my calibrated LCD. It kinda looks (and no offence meant, Roy) like it's been "robustly" sharpened to make up for detail lost by NR.

And there's a kind of "smeared" look to it, where you might expect a close-up shot like this to show fine feather detail.

I've attached a lightly sharpened 100% crop of a Titchwell robin taken with the 100-400mm (and TC) on the 30D to show what looks "natural" to my eyes. You can see a difference in the feather detail.

Again, no offence, Roy - I'm just fussy about things looking natural and not heavily processed.
Certainly do not take offence Keith constructive criticism is always welcome. Interesting comments Though - just shows how we all view things differently. For info I now always sharpen before NR ( I am not 100% sure I even used NR on this image as I very often use the blur tool instead - not on the bird but on the surrounding area ).
My sharpening method is to create a duplicate layer and sharpen only the Luminosity channel before flattening - not sure if this give a more sharpened result or not but I like it because it does not globally sharpen)

Like I say, it is interesting how we view thing differently because I view the Robin shot as being soft but that it just me. I guess it would be boring if we all had the same views.

Old Tuesday 17th June 2008, 21:42   #16
Epsomsalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valley Walker View Post
Looks bloody fantastic on my monitor too....congratulations Roy !!

I could not put it better myself! fabulous shot Roy. No sign of any overshapening on my calibrated LCD or my laptop.

Chris
Old Wednesday 18th June 2008, 08:57   #17
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Like I say, it is interesting how we view thing differently because I view the Robin shot as being soft but that it just me. I guess it would be boring if we all had the same views.
Personally I think that the sharpening on Keith's images is just about spot on, it has a natural look. Personally I'd far rather see a slightly soft shot than an over sharpened one, for me it's closer to how I see the bird. A quick look through the gallery will show how different people like different levels of sharpening.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 18th June 2008, 10:45   #18
Peter Ericsson

On my LCD laptop screen it looks a bit over sharpened. Sort of an icy look to the feathers.
Still, not to the point of disturbing.
Old Wednesday 18th June 2008, 10:57   #19
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ericsson View Post
On my LCD laptop screen it looks a bit over sharpened. Sort of an icy look to the feathers.
Still, not to the point of disturbing.
Like I said at the beginning Peter on my Laptop it looks absolute Cr*p but it looks ok on my Calibrated CRT. Mind you everything looks dreadful on my laptop.

I have no doubt that LCD screens tend to give a brighter image than a CRT and consequently you see things that are not apparent on a CRT.

I dread the day when my CRT finally packs up and I have to get a LCD

Old Wednesday 18th June 2008, 11:03   #20
pe'rigin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Reeder View Post
I'm just fussy about things looking natural and not heavily processed.
Roy, what I think has happened here, the sun has been a direct light source which is reflecting off the eye and feathers, by sharpening you have increased the highlight pixels. You almost don't need to do any, it's so sharp anyway.

Keith's right that it doesn't look natural, by blurring the eye reflection in PS it starts to looks correct. I think that you have a 'spot-on' image which contrary to normal processing needs you to adjust the 'other way'.
Old Wednesday 18th June 2008, 11:44   #21
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Quote:
Like I say, it is interesting how we view thing differently because I view the Robin shot as being soft but that it just me.
Oh, that's fine, Roy - as I say, it's lightly sharpened (only capture sharpening, as far as I recall) and it can take a lot more sharpening and still keep a "natural" look to it, which is my personal taste.

As a matter of interest, would you agree that the robin has more detail than the blue tit? That's what my processing approach favours - keeping as much fine detail as possible.

Last edited by Keith Reeder : Wednesday 18th June 2008 at 11:47.

Old Wednesday 18th June 2008, 12:01   #22
JohnZ

Looks a smidgeon over sharpened to me but then again I have one of those new fangled LCD jobbies. It`s a good one though ! The LCD I meant....LOL But I would be very happy with that piccie.
Old Wednesday 18th June 2008, 15:55   #23
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
Personally I think that the sharpening on Keith's images is just about spot on, it has a natural look.
I was sitting with you and the Simpsonettes when I took that shot!

Old Wednesday 18th June 2008, 22:35   #24
Clive Watson
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

The Great Tit definitely looks 'wrong' on my LCD screen, perhaps over-sharpened, but I agree with Keith, it looks like it's had too much noise reduction (that's not to say it has, just what it looks like). The Robin looks spot on, I personally wouldn't want to sharpen it any more than that. Interesting how the same image can look so different on different screens though.
Old Thursday 19th June 2008, 07:08   #25
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Watson View Post
Interesting how the same image can look so different on different screens though.
This was the whole point of the thread Clive. I was trying to ascertain if my 7 year old CRT was on its way out because the image looked so different on my laptop. I was not after a debate as to weather the image was good, bad or indifferent but merely trying to gauge if other people were seeing the same as me.

It is obvious from the responses that different people have there own ideas about how sharp or otherwise an image should be and long may this variation be (it would be pretty boring if we all though the same wouldn't it ?). At the end of the day I guess most of us take pictures for our own benefit and if someone else happens to like it then that's a bonus.

That aside and taking a balanced view of all the responses I am reassured that my trusted CRT lives to fight another day. Thanks to everyone for your responses in this thread.

Out of interest this shot was not taken with my normal prime lens but with a zoom lens which is noticeably softer than the prime. This is one reason why I had to sharpen the image at all (very often with my prime lens I do not apply any sharpening).

Once again thanks to everyone who contributed

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: