Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

could anyone suggest a comprehensive,but pocket sized book on bird identification

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Saturday 10th July 2004, 19:17   #1
loner

could anyone suggest a comprehensive,but pocket sized book on bird identification

I require a quality book on british bird i.d,preferably photo i,d pocket sized,any recomendations.thanks
Old Saturday 10th July 2004, 19:37   #2
Michael Frankis
conehead

Hi Loner,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Hard to balance the two - but if the pocket is reasonably large, it has to be the Collins Bird Guide (Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterström & Grant). Fairly chunky (20cm x 14 cm x 3cm) but worth every penny

Michael
Old Saturday 10th July 2004, 19:38   #3
very boring banned member

Is Your pocket Collins Bird Guide -sized? If so, Collins (Mullarney-Svensson-Zetterstrom) it shall be.
Old Saturday 10th July 2004, 20:00   #4
pduxon
Quacked up Member

What do you mean by comprehensive?

Do you mean any bird that could possibly turn up in Britain ? See the above or perhaps the one by Heinzel which is not nearly as good but is a little smaller.

or any bird you are likely to see without twitching?

When I'd go for the Pocket Guide to the Birds of Britain and Northwest Europe by Kightley et al

If you really must have a photo guide then the new Collins Complete British Birds by Paul Sterry. I still prefer illustrations.

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Saturday 10th July 2004, 21:50   #5
Sandpiper
Mike Powell

I agree with Michael and Karwin. Although the illustrations are not photographs, they are first class.
Old Sunday 11th July 2004, 17:19   #6
Surreybirder
Ken Noble

Few photo guides really show the vital features on birds... and few show all the different plumage variations. It has to be Collins. (Buy bigger pockets if necessary.)
If you cannot afford bigger pockets, I like the RSPB book of British Birds by Peter Holden and JTR Sharrock, beautifully illustrated by Hilary Burn. But in my copy the distribution maps are all mixed up (did you know that kestrels were summer visitors and that golden eagles occur in most English counties!)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: