• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gary Russell Graves (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Germany
Grallaria gravesi is the first bird taxon dedicated to Gary R. Graves, known for his descriptions of several neotropical bird species (e.g. Heliangelus zusii). Would be to great to know his birth date and birth place.

From my Key MS (where gravesi is not new)
gravesi Dr Gary Russell Graves (fl. 2010) US ornithologist (subsp. Cinnycerthia fulva, Grallaria).

From my Key MS (where gravesi is not new)
gravesi Dr Gary Russell Graves (fl. 2010) US ornithologist (subsp. Cinnycerthia fulva, Grallaria).

Thanks for the hint. I have forgotten that there was already a subspecies named after Graves. Unfortunately I don't have access to Graves's Ph.D. thesis.

Last edited:
Would be to great to know his birth date and birth place.
Melanie, as earlier stated, be careful with the dates of any person still alive. Birth years might be all ok, but exact dates is a bit worse. Simply in respect of Personal integrity.

If not easily found I´d be a bit reluctant to post such information (without approval from the person involved).

It's a fraudulent World "out there", with risks of ID theft and all ...

Björn

Sure, it's simply a question of/if the person involved was/is to bee considered as (what's called) "of Public interest", which, of course, is a matter of opinion. Never-the-less the rules/laws regarding Personal integrity has been tightened considerably during the last couple of years (and most certainly so in the EU).

Either way; just be careful.

/B

Gary R. Graves ... "examining the type specimen of the Swainson’s Warbler on July 28, 2014" (here).

In the US he's a well-known Ornithologist (of good and international repute), with several (many) publications written.

It looks like he's still working, still writing, still watching birds (see here, here, ... or elsewhere).

He himself, his work, and many Papers, aren't nearly as hard to find as his Birth year (maybe for a reason?) ;)

/B

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Fulvous Wren ssp. Cinnycerthia fulva gravesi Remsen & Brumfield, 1998 Dr Gary R. Graves is an American ornithologist who is Curator of Birds at the USNM. The University of Arizona, Little Rock, awarded his bachelor's degree (1976), Louisiana State University his master's (1980) and Florida State University his doctorate (1983). He was appointed Honorary Professor at the Centre for Macroecology, Evolution and Climate, University of Copenhagen, for a 5-year period (2011). His primary interests centre on the ecology, biogeography, and evolution of birds and he is one of the co-organisers of the Bird 10K genome project which seeks to obtain whole genome sequences of the 10,400+ living species of birds. One of the most recent of his many papers was the co-authored 'An update of Wallace's zoogeographic regions of the world' (2013).

But of couse no birth year. Indeed he was already dealt here.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back