Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Raptor ID - help needed

Old Sunday 2nd November 2003, 09:33   #1
helenh

Raptor ID - help needed

The attached photo was taken at Lake Bogoria National Reserve, Kenya on the 24th of October 2003. It has the look of one of the Snake Eagles (either juvie Brown or Black-chested) but the eyes aren't right - they should be yellow, even in juveniles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Helen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unk-eagle.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	3744  
Old Sunday 2nd November 2003, 09:46   #2
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2020

I don't know much about snake eagles but to me the eyes actually do look yellow, which might solve the problem. Pale yellow at the very least.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 2nd November 2003, 09:52   #3
Jasonbirder
Jason-occasional-twitcher

I`m with Fifebirder here; if i was writing this one up i`d definately have the Iris colour down as yellow. (However knowing absolutely nothing about snake eagles i`d probably not realise it was impotant enough to note...)
Old Sunday 2nd November 2003, 09:59   #4
helenh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbirder
I`m with Fifebirder here; if i was writing this one up i`d definately have the Iris colour down as yellow. (However knowing absolutely nothing about snake eagles i`d probably not realise it was impotant enough to note...)
I know what you both mean but Snake Eagles have really yellow eyes. The following shows the head of this ui raptor and the head of a Brown Snake Eagle to illustrate what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	3745  
Attached Images

Old Monday 3rd November 2003, 16:22   #5
Tim

I'm pretty certain it's a Snake Eagle judging by the overall shape and jizz, (especially) the head.
From the leg colour and what can be seen of the tail pattern and undertail coverts I'd go for Western Banded Snake-eagle, Circaetus cinerascens.
Old Monday 3rd November 2003, 17:17   #6
helenh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
I'm pretty certain it's a Snake Eagle judging by the overall shape and jizz, (especially) the head.
From the leg colour and what can be seen of the tail pattern and undertail coverts I'd go for Western Banded Snake-eagle, Circaetus cinerascens.
Thanks Tim. That was one of the species we'd considered but they are really quite scarce in Kenya!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: