• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Legend L 10x42 bargain? (1 Viewer)

Cluster

I read quite often about binocular bargains in the US, feeling a little jealous... I noticed that the low price of the Legend L series is repeated here in the UK by Amazon.co.uk who advertise the purchase from the USA and ship (duties paid) to here in the UK.. Seems too good to miss!

The Legend L 10x42 has attracted some poor reviews, not particularly because of a poor view, but due to a few parts falling off. Rain guards, dioptre ring and even the eye-cup have been reported to have problems. Despite all this, I ordered a 10x42 last week, today it arrived. £155 to the door. The 8x42 is still at ~£300. The 10x42 must be poor?

First inspection is very good. Feels good, nothing loose, nice sharp contrasty view with fairly neutral colours (seen in overcast weather). Sharpness of the view very good within the sweetspot, out to maybe 35% when I noticed the critical detail begin to fall off gradually.
I wanted to try 10x42 when in hides to supplement my UV7x42HD (afraid that I might be missing something)...I can already tell that I will need to work the focus more as compared to my 7x42s (which rotates in the opposite direction).
Worth noting is the loss of warranty on this purchase.
Looking forward to a day out with it in the hides.

Last edited:
I managed a couple of hours with the Legend L 10x42 around my local woodland/country park and a little while studying the crumbling brickwork of a nearby mill.
My non-expert impressions are that they will not replace my 7x for the woodland work, but in more open terrain (which is where I wanted to try 10x) I was impressed by them.
They are small, as small as my UV7x42. When focussed on a textured trunk of a tree at 70yds, the critical sharpness begins to degrade only at around 25-30% away from the centre. It degrades gradually, so it's not a real issue for me, but it is significantly smaller area than my usual bins (UV7x42HD, ZR7x36ED2, Nikon 8x30 M7).
In its sweet spot it is sharp and the whole view has a contrast (that "just washed" view) that I find of great value to my enjoyment of the bins. For this CA sensitive viewer, CA is controlled well, probably better than my UVs.
The focus control is on the firm side, perhaps it will slacken a little with use and I detected a little backlash in the focus mechanism.
Overall, I am quite thrilled with this purchase. As to whether 10x really is a good compliment to my 7x bins, I will be able to answer in time, but that's a different issue.

Allbinos has just posted the Bushnell Nitro review https://www.allbinos.com/index.php?test=lornetki&test_l=341

Replacement for the Legend L.

"When it comes to my personal opinion the binoculars impressed me in a very positive way. The result of our test is an important aspect but the handling and comfort of usage is also significant, especially that both are very individual, subjective criteria, hard to reflect in any testing procedures. In my opinion the Bushnell Nitro 10x42 is not only nice to look at; it fitted my hands and eye sockets in a perfect way so I enjoyed using it very much. I would have nothing against taking that piece of equipment for nature trips to the forest."

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back