• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to REALLY reduce your carbon footprint (2 Viewers)

I should think diclofenac would be an issue.... :king: On the other hand "long pig" has a long and honourable history as a source of protein. Don't knock it till you've tried it! :t: John

I'll knock it: I'll see your 'honourable' and raise you 'Kuru'.

"Kuru is a very rare, incurable and fatal neurodegenerative disorder that was formerly common among the Fore people of Papua New Guinea. Kuru is a form of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) caused by the transmission of abnormally folded proteins (prion proteins), which leads to symptoms such as tremors and loss of coordination from neurodegeneration.

Deceased family members were traditionally cooked and eaten, which was thought to help free the spirit of the dead. Women and children usually consumed the brain, the organ in which infectious prions were most concentrated, thus allowing for transmission of kuru. The disease was therefore more prevalent among women and children."

That's brawn off the list, then...:eek!::eek!::eek!:
MJB
(Thanks Wikipedia!)

The danger of a prion disease can be avoided by removing brain and spinal cord before consumption (as is already done with cattle and sheep).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back