Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Android phone digiscoping on a budget

Old Tuesday 17th December 2019, 22:51   #1
Cabo

Android phone digiscoping on a budget

I have an lg g6 smart android phone and would like to set it up to digiscope and hoping for some recommendations as to both a proper adapter and a portable zoom scope from users that actually use or have used the recommended gear. I have a budget of up to $1500? I would like something small enough to pack in and quickly setup. I've read through the posts and googled the internet and found it overwhelming, to say the least, of making sense of it. I'd much rather learn from your expertise as I value your opinions greatly. I would appreciate your input greatly!

Last edited by Cabo : Wednesday 18th December 2019 at 09:25. Reason: Hopefully to make this request a little clearer.
Old Saturday 25th January 2020, 10:57   #2
Cabo

Early research suggests a Vortex Diamond 20x60x80 angled spotting scope and an adapter from phone skope. I looked through one at Bass Pro Shop and from what I could tell the clarity looked awesome. I looked through some other scopes but the other images didn't seem quite as crisp. Granted I looked indoors. On line reviews rate it pretty high, but most evals centered around target shooting and hunting; but I'm only interested in birding.The price came in at $499. What do you think? Has anyone used this scope in the field? It seems compact enough and ready to be packed into the field.
Old Saturday 25th January 2020, 11:45   #3
Piskeddu

hello, Vortex makes good products and makes excellent ones but the price goes up, for your figure look for an opticron model that has medium) high products. George.

Giorgio
Old Sunday 26th January 2020, 11:51   #4
Cabo

That's a great tip; I'll look into that.
Old Sunday 26th January 2020, 20:48   #5
Cabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabo View Post
Early research suggests a Vortex Diamond 20x60x80 angled spotting scope and an adapter from phone skope. I looked through one at Bass Pro Shop and from what I could tell the clarity looked awesome. I looked through some other scopes but the other images didn't seem quite as crisp. Granted I looked indoors. On line reviews rate it pretty high, but most evals centered around target shooting and hunting; but I'm only interested in birding.The price came in at $499. What do you think? Has anyone used this scope in the field? It seems compact enough and ready to be packed into the field.
So, I looked into a comparable Opticorn scope that specs out similar to the Vortex 20x60x80 including the zoom eyepiece and found it to be more than twice as expensive. Even though the Opticorn reviews were excellent. Is the significant extra cost worth the money? What do you think? I really value your opinion.
Old Sunday 26th January 2020, 21:41   #6
Piskeddu

Hi, I don't know the Vortex brand well but I would have liked to have one for sure. You have to decide if you want portability then choose a 60 aperture model or you are interested in photographing in every light situation and take an 80. I am not a professional in the trade but someone says that for digiscoping or phonescoping it is better to use a fixed lens, so you could take a 25x if you use a 60mm or a 32x if you take an 80mm. Good evening. George
Old Monday 27th January 2020, 02:23   #7
Cabo

That's a very good point as portability is a big consideration. Between that and a tripod I would like to keep the weight below 10 pounds. I have a day pack that the scope and the tripod have to fit in. I like that idea of an 80mm lense so I'll be ready for most light situations. I have a Pentex 80mm ed with several eye pieces but it's too awkward to pack around. It is used in the house and on the rear deck. Anyway, I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a scope and a tripod. I'm hoping other people will chime in with what works for them or equipment they've heard about before I go shopping. I'm sure there's other posts on this forum related to this issue, but so far I've been unable to locate an applicable thread. Incidentally, Jekyll Island, Georgia, is a wonderful place to dodge around birding. I've missed many opportunities because I was I'll prepared, but that's about to change. Blessings.
Old Monday 27th January 2020, 12:05   #8
Piskeddu

Hello I use this tracing, opticron ES ga 80 ED + zoom sdl2 20 x 60 including tripod Genesis C5 Carbon fiber, Head Velbon FDH51qn. The total weight is 4.5 kg

Giorgio

Last edited by Piskeddu : Monday 27th January 2020 at 12:10.
Old Monday 27th January 2020, 22:36   #9
Cabo

How do you like ur set up? If you were to do it again what would you do differently?km
Old Tuesday 28th January 2020, 05:42   #10
Piskeddu

Hi, I like taking into account that it is what I can afford, if I had economic possibility I would take all kowa. As a second choice but not least I would take Leica. later I will take a fixed 32x eyepiece, I am waiting for the adapter to connect the cellphone to arrive, I am not a maniac of the photos I prefer to observe but some shots to compare can be useful. I use the 1000 rule to buy, everything must not cost more than 1000

Last edited by Piskeddu : Tuesday 28th January 2020 at 05:50.
Old Wednesday 29th January 2020, 02:31   #11
Cabo

I like your rule. The beauty of your 1k rule is once you purchase the equipment that's it. No further equipment costs.
Old Thursday 30th January 2020, 00:02   #12
Cabo

Okay, after lots of research and imput from fellow birders I've settled on a Vortex Diamondback 20x60x80 angled scope with a packable tripod. All that comes in under 10 pounds. I got the tripod, angled scope, and a "Phone Skope" phone adapter for around $650. The Vortex comes with a transferable lifetime warranty, no receipt required. So far I love the scope, nice and bright. However a more solid tripod (more weight) might be in my future. I find the lightweight tripod I have tends to have a bit of vibration to it. I find it necessary to have a 5 sec shutter delay when taking photos in order for the composition to settle down before the shutter fires. At 300 yards I can read the expiration date on a license plate sticker, however, the detail characteristics of the finished photo on the LG G6 isn't as sharpe. I would say anything above 50x through the phone camera wouldn't be as sharpe. This phone d-scope setup nailed a bald eagle at 100 yards looks not only in your face but crystal sharpe. I can enlarge it on the back of the camera and to me it's quite impressive.
Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 06:09   #13
Piskeddu

Hi, the important thing is that you are satisfied with your equipment, the rest does not count. Enjoy your birdwatching days, many people waste time looking for a better sharpness or performance, the time available must be used to observe.

Giorgio
Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 21:25   #14
Cabo

Thank you, good advice, and the same to you.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: