• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting Scope Recommendation (1 Viewer)

avenues

Spotting Scope Case or Cover Recommendation

Hi everyone,

New here, lots of great information! I have a spotting scope that I'm currently using that came with a thin bag to carry but is not very protective. I am looking at a few options and was curious what you guys prefer or recommend. I have a large tripod so I like the idea of a bag or case that captures the tripod too.

Of the three options below, which one would you choose and why? Or just tell me I'm overthinking it:) I just hate buying stuff that I wont end up using, thanks.

Attachments

• option1.jpg
    option1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 67
  • option2.jpg
    option2.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 54
  • option3.jpg
    option3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Hi,

welcome to birdforum, first of all!

As for protection for the scope, I prefer a stay on case - that would be the one on the right-most image... provided it has an opening at the bottom for the head... it will offer protection on the tripod and also when not mounted.

My tripod and head just get thrown inside the suitcase - the clothes are enough padding. Optics always goes to carry-on...

Joachim

Hi,

It's all a matter of personal taste really. I have never used a stay-on-case in the field and have never experienced any external damage to any of my scopes. Many scopes have rubber armouring anyway. It's sometimes necessary to rotate the scope in its collar for use in a hide and some SOCs don't allow this.
For transport to a birding location in the car, I use a padded bag.

BTW, where did you find that first photo of the Leica APO-Televid 62? AFAIK, they were always sold with a silver paint finish. I once saw a similar dark grey version in the field and the owner told me it was ex-Bundeswehr (Federal German Army).

John

Thank you both for the feedback. I had not considered the collar rotation with the cover installed. Any other considerations like this are greatly appreciated!

BTW, where did you find that first photo of the Leica APO-Televid 62? AFAIK, they were always sold with a silver paint finish. I once saw a similar dark grey version in the field and the owner told me it was ex-Bundeswehr (Federal German Army).
John

I grabbed that picture from here. You know your spotting scopes well:t:

Hi,

the case of using the rotating collar with an angled scope in a hide is indeed an argument against a stay-on-case.

But since it is rather rare for my usage pattern, I would prefer to remove the stay-on-case in those rare cases to having my non-armoured and non-waterproof TSN-3 on the tripod w/o a SOC and to have to take it off the tripod and put into a bag when it goes into the trunk...

PS: With a straight scope like the Leica shown above, a rotating collar is neither necessary nor present...

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi,
John
They were available for retail for quite a while, certainly here in the UK. It was a rubber type finish though customers still purchased a stay on case from what I remember.

Stay on case for me in all cases, my kit has toppled over on occasions and I'm satisfied the case prevented serious damage.

Last edited:
...It's all a matter of personal taste really. I have never used a stay-on-case in the field and have never experienced any external damage to any of my scopes. Many scopes have rubber armouring anyway. It's sometimes necessary to rotate the scope in its collar for use in a hide and some SOCs don't allow this...

Same here. I find any kind of case irritating as it just gets in my way. To prevent scuffs and minor dings, I wrap my scopes in McNett camo-form. It can be placed strategically so it doesn't cover any controls. I get the snow camo version, then color to taste. Wish it were available in solid (non-camo) colors.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3219167905

--AP

I’ve had a scope for a short time and have found the stay on case to be useful for simple transport protection, as well as when in the field. The removable objective cap and eyepiece covers that come with the scope are too easy to misplace on a long hike, whereas the pull over hoods do the job. If one is walking beneath foliage laden with dew or raindrops, protection is helpful.

-Bill

I know the cuff-rotation screw can be an irritation, but with the two scopes i carry in a stay-on case, the screw heads are not that difficult to reach - more remembering where they are is the problem!
As i have hardly ever needed to rotate the scope in the cuff, a dab of thread-lock has prevented the continual, irritating loosening of the screw.
As one of the scopes is the magnesium-body Kowa 883, i have a layer of bubble-wrap between the scope body and the stay-on case. The more protection the better when you've laid out that kind of money.

Same here. I find any kind of case irritating as it just gets in my way. To prevent scuffs and minor dings, I wrap my scopes in McNett camo-form. It can be placed strategically so it doesn't cover any controls. I get the snow camo version, then color to taste. Wish it were available in solid (non-camo) colors.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3219167905

--AP
Alexis I have used the McNett camo-form and like it a lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back