Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How can you differentiate old ATS 80HD model from new ATS 80HD?

Old Monday 10th February 2020, 19:38   #1
nature elvis

How can you differentiate old ATS 80HD model from new ATS 80HD?

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a used ATS 80HD but before I do I want to be sure it's the most recent model. How can I be sure it's the aluminium one that follows the magnesium ATM and not the ATS 80HD which predated it? As far as I can tell they look identical. Are there any clear, visual signs on the body that would give it away other than say a serial number?

Regards
Old Monday 10th February 2020, 22:47   #2
Tringa45

The serial no. is inside the bayonet mount. Add 1930 to the first two digits to indicate the year of manufacture.
My ATM 65HD begins with 81, i.e. 2011 so an ATS with anything higher than that should be the current model.

John
Old Tuesday 11th February 2020, 19:03   #3
nature elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
The serial no. is inside the bayonet mount. Add 1930 to the first two digits to indicate the year of manufacture.
My ATM 65HD begins with 81, i.e. 2011 so an ATS with anything higher than that should be the current model.

John
Thanks John, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I think its important to understand as I was concerned I could mistakenly pick up an earlier model with the inferior optics in the belief it is the version that followed the ATM. This helps. Thanks again.
Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 01:43   #4
John A Roberts

As the OP indicates, ATS and ATM (and STS and STM) units are externally identical

From my observation of advertised units:

A) Original ATS/ STS production was from early 2002 to mid 2009: U7207 06132 to U7923 85182 (presumedly from an 06000 start)

B) ATM/ STM production was from early 2009 to early 2012: U7904 81968 to U8215 23737, and

C) New ATS/ STS production is from late 2011: U8147 20999 on

And there is no distinction between the numbering of non-HD and HD models, or different objective sizes

The same optical and mechanical design is used throughout the series in different alloy housings i.e. aluminium > magnesium > aluminium
- though the coatings have progressively improved over time e.g. see the work of Gijs van Ginkel at: https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/verre...n-vergelijken/

As John indicates in post #2, the serial number is located in the lens mount, and adding 1930 to the first 2 digits of the number indicates the year of manufacture
In addition, the next 2 digits indicate the week of the year of production, and the rest the consecutive production number

Also the inside of the mount is marked 'ATS' or 'ATM' (or 'STS' or 'STM') as appropriate
- and HD units are marked as such both on the focus collar and inside the mount

John

Last edited by John A Roberts : Wednesday 12th February 2020 at 05:33.
Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 09:53   #5
nature elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post
As the OP indicates, ATS and ATM (and STS and STM) units are externally identical

From my observation of advertised units:

A) Original ATS/ STS production was from early 2002 to mid 2009: U7207 06132 to U7923 85182 (presumedly from an 06000 start)

B) ATM/ STM production was from early 2009 to early 2012: U7904 81968 to U8215 23737, and

C) New ATS/ STS production is from late 2011: U8147 20999 on

And there is no distinction between the numbering of non-HD and HD models, or different objective sizes

The same optical and mechanical design is used throughout the series in different alloy housings i.e. aluminium > magnesium > aluminium
- though the coatings have progressively improved over time e.g. see the work of Gijs van Ginkel at: https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/verre...n-vergelijken/

As John indicates in post #2, the serial number is located in the lens mount, and adding 1930 to the first 2 digits of the number indicates the year of manufacture
In addition, the next 2 digits indicate the week of the year of production, and the rest the consecutive production number

Also the inside of the mount is marked 'ATS' or 'ATM' (or 'STS' or 'STM') as appropriate
- and HD units are marked as such both on the focus collar and inside the mount

John
Brilliant, thanks John. That's really helpful.
Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 11:40   #6
Tringa45

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post
Not quite. ATM/STM have a black lens hood and a green focusser. On the ATS/STS it's vice versa.
I believe the latest ATS/STS are only made in HD versions, although the non-HD 65 mm scopes were allegedly quite good.
Swarovski's 65 mm and 80 mm scopes have the same focal length of 460 mm, giving the 65 mm versions an unusually "slow" focal ratio (for a spotting scope) of f/7.
This allowed moderately good correction of CA without the use of ED glass.

John
Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 23:14   #7
John A Roberts

Thanks John (post #6),

You're of course right on both points (the differing colour combinations of the external coverings, and all the post 2011 ATS/ STS production being the HD version)
. . . ah, the perils of posting without sufficient scrutiny!

John

And for clarification: ATS vs ATM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATS.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	718036  Click image for larger version

Name:	ATM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	718037  

Last edited by John A Roberts : Thursday 13th February 2020 at 03:24.
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 19:02   #8
nature elvis

Well, after all that I've decided to go for a used pair of the original 8.5x42 EL's which I've picked up at a good price. I think I'll revisit the scope idea at a later date. Thanks again guys.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: