Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Tenerife & Fuerteventura 26th Jan to 5th Feb 2020

Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 16:26   #26
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

30th January PM

Fortified by some excellent Canarian cooking we decided to check out the upper parts of the Barranco de Chasna as per the Crossbill Guide p. 136. I had seen the one Bolle's Pigeon but was quite eager to have further views and this site sounded promising. The shrine was in a beautiful setting and the whole area was very scenic, but here is where I have my one grievance with the authors (who otherwise have nailed everything perfectly in my opinion) - do not attempt to walk the 800m uphill stretch of road unless you are a b***dy mountain goat! We nearly got divorced over it! No Bolle's Pigeons but we did see Kestrel, Common Buzzard, African Blue Tit, CI Chiffchaff, Robin and a pair of Common Chaffinches.
Dropping Sandra back to the house I decided to have my last roll of the dice pigeon-wise at the upper end of the Barranco de Ruiz as per Dave Gosney's 'Finding Birds in THE CANARIES' P.14. Parking at the now derelict retaurant El Bosque I crossed the road and scanned the gorge. The habitat certainly looked ideal and I soon had several Blackbirds and a couple of CI Chiffchaffs under my belt! Then I hit paydirt, a Bolle's flew across the barranco and perched in a tree further down from me but still in sight! I was able to see the distinctive tail markings quite clearly! In the next 30-40 minutes two more showed, one flying up the gorge and passing almost directly overhead! I also had a bonus Laurel Pigeon plus a Common Buzzard and an African Blue Tit.
Not bad for my last birding session on Tenerife and a birthday that will live long in the memory for a variety of reasons!

Chris

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 17:30   #27
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
Love those Blue Chaffinches Chris!
Thanks Nick, they are rather smart aren't they!

Chris

Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 23:08   #28
foresttwitcher

Belated Birthday wishes, Chris, and congratulations on the good news. Agree, great Blue Chaffinch photos.

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 06:02   #29
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresttwitcher View Post
Belated Birthday wishes, Chris, and congratulations on the good news. Agree, great Blue Chaffinch photos.
Many thanks on all counts Pete!

Chris

Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 16:10   #30
Paul Longland

Great read. loved the blue chaffinch pics. a special looking bird. With respect to the Robins, one the first things I noticed during my first proper birding trip abroad in the Camargue last year, was how differently birds behave from our experience at home. The few Robins we saw there were in deed quite skulky, whereas we had some very showy nightingales. exactly the opposite of what we are used to.
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 16:54   #31
KenM

Great news all round Chris!...and as for the Blue Chaffinch...simply stunning! Looking forward to your FTV jaunts, no doubt you’ll consider the LB as an option? If so...the best of luck.
Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 17:10   #32
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Friday 31st January

We had a 12.30pm flight from Tenerife North to Fuerteventura so had a leisurely morning before dropping off the car and checking in with Binter for the less than 50 minute trip. All went very smoothly and before long the verdant scenery of northern Tenerife was being replaced by the yellows and ochres of Fuerteventura. The only slight hiccough was a lengthy queue at the CICAR desk but the staff were very efficient and we were on our way reasonably speedily!
Half an hour's drive north took us to our hotel in Villaverde, just past La Oliva and fairly close to Tindaya. Spanish Sparrows were in abundance in the palm trees in the gardens and also in the cracks of the old farmhouse-style building itself. Collared Doves were also plentiful and I had a couple of Ravens and several Yellow-legged Gulls passing over. After a delicious luncheon in the hotel's excellent restaurant I left Sandra to unpack and headed off for my first taste of the Tindaya plains!
First stop was at Rosa de los Negrines as described on p. 28 of Gosney's book. Before I had even reached the site I had my first Fuerteventuran Lifer foraging at the side of the track - Lesser Short-toed Lark!. Reaching the site I soon had another target, a very confiding Great Grey Shrike ssp. koenigi! Passing on and reaching the fenced-off area I turned left and headed for Tindaya. Frequent stops to scan for Houbaras were to no avail but I did see several Berthelot's Pipits and a Common Buzzard. Perhaps three-quarters of the way to Tindaya were a couple of dlapidated buildings surrounded by a fence, and close to the fence a couple of small birds were flitting around. Nudging the Opel Mokka round to get a better view through the driver's window I was delighted to see a pair of Trumpeter Finches - another Lifer! Then a black crescent came swooping down out of the azure blue sky - was it my Plain Swift? No, but it was another trip tick - Barn Swallow! Following the track into Tindaya brought none of the hoped-for desert birds but I did add a pair of Ravens. It was time to head back to the hotel now as we were meeting up with friends who had flown out to celebrate my birthday! Not a bad start on our 'desert island'!

Chris

Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 17:16   #33
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Longland View Post
Great read. loved the blue chaffinch pics. a special looking bird. With respect to the Robins, one the first things I noticed during my first proper birding trip abroad in the Camargue last year, was how differently birds behave from our experience at home. The few Robins we saw there were in deed quite skulky, whereas we had some very showy nightingales. exactly the opposite of what we are used to.
Thanks Paul! What you say is so true - you wouldn't believe how shy the Blackbirds are here in Bulgaria, they only ever come into the garden in the harshest of winters!

Chris

Old Thursday 13th February 2020, 17:21   #34
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
Great news all round Chris!...and as for the Blue Chaffinch...simply stunning! Looking forward to your FTV jaunts, no doubt you’ll consider the LB as an option? If so...the best of luck.
Thanks indeed Ken! As for the DB, ..thereby hangs a tale!

Chris

Old Friday 14th February 2020, 14:17   #35
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Saturday 1st February

Arriving for breakfast (surprisingly fresh after a hearty 'catch-up session' with our friends John & Lorraine the night before!) at 07.30am only to discover it didn't start for another half an hour, we headed into Tindaya. A local cafe-bar doing a brisk trade with locals more than satisfied our needs and we headed out onto the plain not long after sunrise.
We were perhaps half a km out of town and Sandra, quite taken aback at the scale of the stony plains, had just said "How will you find anything in all this?" when I spotted movement not far from a ramshackle agricultural building on her side of the track. Sure enough it was the main prize - Houbara Bustard, a male! It was reasonably distant and rather than risk spooking it by approaching further I inched out of the car and set up the scope. I then got Sandra to clamber over and come out via my door. We enjoyed brief views of it before ,joy of joys, it started to display! A truly mesmerising experience and something I had only really dreamed of! It finished its performance and sauntered away into the distance. Continuing along the track Great Grey Shrike and Spectacled Warbler soon followed, while up ahead was another car, birdwatchers too judging by their stop-start progress. Reaching the crossroads shown on p. 29 of Gosney we continued over and then there was one, no two, sorry three Cream-coloured Coursers darting about! The second Lifer of the day and it wasn't even eight o'clock yet!
We made our way back to the crossroads and took the left-hand track to head for El Cotillo, following the route on p. 124 of our Crossbill Guide. Another Shrike, a Berthelot's Pipit, nine Ravens and Common Kestrel ssp. dacoitae were encountered before we reached El Cotillo and headed out to the Faro de Toston. The tidal pools at the lighthouse did hold the promised Little Egret as well as several Yellow-legged Gulls and a couple of Berthelot's Pipits in the car park. The sand dunes did look inviting but were very busy so we headed off to El Roque in search of more desert birds. The barranco there brought our first Barbary Ground Squirrels but only one bird flitting about! Rather gratifyingly it soon showed itself to be a striking male Canary Island Stonechat! Another major target and Lifer in the bag before lunch!
Returning to Villaverde via the FV-10 we stopped briefly at Rosa de los Negrines where Sandra was delighted to see one of her favourite birds - Hoopoe!
Back at the hotel making our way from the car park to freshen up before lunch, I almost dropped the scope in my haste to examine a group of swifts that appeared overhead! Fortunately Sandra was on hand to save it and I was able to add the hoped for but not entirely expected Plain Swift!

We had enjoyed our meal at El Horno so much the previous evening we were returning there for lunch, but I would have to put any celebrations on hold - that afternoon I was planning a crack at the Barranco del Rio Cabras!......

Chris

Old Friday 14th February 2020, 15:24   #36
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Saturday 1st February (continued)

Heading off after lunch, leaving Sandra to struggle with the loungers by the hotel pool on her own, I parked up near the lights of the airport's runway and headed into the Barranco del Rio Cabras.
Rock Doves were in evidence almost from the start, and Common Buzzards soon became apparent as I made my way further in. Spectacled Warbler rattled from the vegetation and put in the occasional appearance while Ravens called from above. Above the (dry) reservoir a dozen Spanish Sparrows flitted around some tamarisks and I saw my first female Chat. By now the gorge had narrowed considerably and I saw the first signs of water, muddy ground! Just then a familiar honking heralded the appearance of four Ruddy Shelduck in flight, not what I was expecting in the barranco! Common Buzzards wheeled overhead and then my reason for visiting the barranco appeared in view - a sub-adult Egyptian Vulture ssp. majorensis, soon followed by three adults! Noticeably different from the birds we get here!
By now there was quite a lot of water, and I was having to jump from dry patch to dry patch to avoid getting a bootee! I could see the first wrecked car just up ahead but decided I had gone far enough. If I made it back to the car in reasonable time I would still have enough daylight for a visit to Tindaya and a crack at the last of the 'desert trinity', the Sandgrouse! The walk back down added a couple of Shrikes (see pic), a pair of Chats and a Berthelot's Pipit.
Back at Tindaya I drove a bit further along the track to Punta Raso Chico than we had in the morning and was rewarded with a pair of Houbaras (see pic)! Making my way back to Tindaya I added another Hoopoe, two Trumpeter Finches, Great Grey Shrike and Berthelot's Pipit. Back at the location of the morning's Houbara anothe (the same?) male showed very close to the track.
No Sandgrouse but a fantastic day's birding, everything I could have hoped for and more! Tomorrow we were meeting up with Lorraine and John and I planned to visit Los Molinos and Betancuria.

Chris

Great Grey Shrike at Barranco del Rio Cabras
Houbara Bustard at Tindaya plain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4854Lthumb.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	718159  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4858cLthumb.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	718160  

Old Yesterday, 07:15   #37
wolfbirder

Great to see you connected with the bustards and the Coursers Chris, I failed with the latter despite 3 visits.
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.
Old Yesterday, 08:31   #38
MKinHK
Mike Kilburn

Really enjoying your report Chris, especially the inclusion of the subspecific names. Delighted to find birds named after Indian bandits and a Dutch beer!

Cheers
Mike

Hong Kong: Chinese Grey Shrike, Japanese Night Heron, White-tailed Robin (478)
Greater China: European Golden Plover, Glossy Ibis, Japanese Night Heron (974)
Lifer: Tennessee Warbler, Copper Pheasant, Japanese Night Heron
Old Yesterday, 10:21   #39
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
Great to see you connected with the bustards and the Coursers Chris, I failed with the latter despite 3 visits.
Many thanks Nick, I was delighted! A real shame you didn't find the Coursers, lovely little birds!

Chris

Old Yesterday, 10:23   #40
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKinHK View Post
Really enjoying your report Chris, especially the inclusion of the subspecific names. Delighted to find birds named after Indian bandits and a Dutch beer!

Cheers
Mike
Welcome aboard Mike, glad you're enjoying the trip!

Chris

Old Today, 12:32   #41
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Sunday 2nd February

We weren't meeting up with John & Lorraine until 10.00am (they seemed to think being on holiday was a good enough reason to lie in bed half the morning!) so I had plenty of time for an early morning visit to Tindaya. I set off earlier than the previous day, and was in place not far out of the village to make a start as the sun came up. Just as the day was dawning an unusual 'bubbling' call alerted me to a single bird on the wing approaching from the south! The silhouette was unmistakeable and a quick playback of the flight call from my Collins app confirmed it - Black-bellied Sandgrouse! Overjoyed at having found perhaps the most elusive of all the desert birds I moved on with a metaphorical 'spring in my step'! I went up to the crossroads and briefly explored all three tracks before returning to the hotel for breakfast. I managed to add three Berthelot's, a Great Grey Shrike, three Coursers and three Lesser Short-toed Larks. On my way back a solitary male Houbara was in the same area as the previous day, this time in much kinder conditions for photography (see below).
John & Lorraine (who have recently become interested in birding) safely on board, we headed off to Los Molinos reservoir. The dirt track to the dam offered plenty of Trumpeter Finches, a couple of Lesser Short-toed Larks and a handsome male CI Chat, all of which J&L were happy to see. Parking at the dam it was interesting to have our first water birds of the Fuerteventura leg of our trip:
At least 50 Ruddy Shelduck, half a dozen Black-winged Stilta plethora of Coots, and good numbers of Little Egret and Grey Heron were present. A pair of Ravens and a Great Grey Shrike were also added.
Lunch was beginning to exert its siren call by now so we headed into the beautiful village of Betancuria (the oldest settlement on Fuerteventura). The Crossbill guide came up trumps again, site 1 on p.134 yielding a pair of Sardinian Warbler ssp. leucogastra and African Blue Tit ssp. ultramarinus! Definitely time for lunch!

Chris

Male Houbara Bustard, Tindaya plain
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4869cLthumb.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	522.1 KB
ID:	718285  

Old Today, 12:40   #42
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2020

This is a great report Chris - you're doing an excellent job lad.

Many congratulations on the grouse too... and a super picture of him to boot!

Down Under Trip Report

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Today, 13:40   #43
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by delia todd View Post
This is a great report Chris - you're doing an excellent job lad.

Many congratulations on the grouse too... and a super picture of him to boot!
Many thanks indeed Delia, much appreciated!

Chris

Old Today, 14:58   #44
Scridifer
BF Supporter 2020

Sunday 2nd February (contd.)

After a very pleasant postprandial stroll around the village, which yielded umpteen Collared Doves and a Kestrel, we headed higher into the Betancuria Mountains. Passing the village of Vega de Rio Palma we stopped at a mirador which offered splendid views back over Betancuria. The main reason for the stop though was the presence of a couple of tame Ravens. It was a real joy to observe them at such close quarters and see how they differ from our European Ravens. It was easy to note the smaller size and brownish necks, along with the different call which I had been hearing for days. Another draw were at least a dozen Barbary Ground Squirrels which fed from our hands!
Having dropped everyone back to their respective hotels I decided to investigate the other end of Los Molinos as per site 4, p.26 of Gosney's book, hoping for further Sandgrouse on the stony plain. It wasn't to be, but I did find the first White Wagtail of the trip near the goat sheds along with some very obliging Trumpeter Finches! Also seen were Great Grey Shrike, Common Buzzard, four Ruddy Shelduck, Berthelot's Pipit and a male CI Chat.
We were meeting up with our friends again the next day to make the trip to Isla de Lobos so I decided to call it a day and headed back to Villaverde.

Chris

Trumpeter Finch Los Molinos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4885Lthumb.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	718313  

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: