• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of Meopta S2 82HD / 20-70x (1 Viewer)

Yes, but in my experience I can only use the lowest magnification well before dawn/past sunset and hope for enough light. That is why a 20x minimum on a 82mm scope looks good to me (mammals are after all bigger than birds!), but I really dislike the tunnel vision of the swaro 20-60, so unless the meopta eyepiece offers a better field of view I will probably go for an 85 swaro.
The Meopta with 30-60x has a much wider FOV. I've compared it to the Swaro 85 w/25-50, no discernible difference that I could see except the higher mag of the Meopta.

The Meopta with 30-60x has a much wider FOV. I've compared it to the Swaro 85 w/25-50, no discernible difference that I could see except the higher mag of the Meopta.

That's why the Meopta is tempting, but 30x in low light with an 82mm scope is just too small an exit pupil for my use.

Also, let me apologise for highjacking the thread -- the Meopta *is* a great scope, and thanks to Lee for his review and replies.

I to have had the pleasure of the Meopta S2 with the 20-70x but unfortunately I have to return it. The eye relief is just to short for me (I'm a glass wearer), I have to be very carefull when placing the eye and it darkens when I zoom between 50-70x. But it is an amazing scope and just as described in the review.

I to have had the pleasure of the Meopta S2 with the 20-70x but unfortunately I have to return it. The eye relief is just to short for me (I'm a glass wearer), I have to be very carefull when placing the eye and it darkens when I zoom between 50-70x. But it is an amazing scope and just as described in the review.

Sorry it didn't work out for you Tommy. I wear glasses too and didn't have a problem. I wonder if the eyecup was not fully down, probably you checked this and it is just a shame it didn't work with your glasses.

Lee

That's a shame about the eye relief. I found it better in that regard than the Swarovski and Knows scopes that I tried. I'm using the 30-60, but the 20-70 worked for me too (I'm very short sighted and need a fair bit of ER with my specs on).

Sorry it didn't work out for you Tommy. I wear glasses too and didn't have a problem. I wonder if the eyecup was not fully down, probably you checked this and it is just a shame it didn't work with your glasses.

Lee

Yeah, I'm sorry too. I have the same problem with binoculars, what is ok for others with glasses can still a problem for me.

That's a shame about the eye relief. I found it better in that regard than the Swarovski and Knows scopes that I tried. I'm using the 30-60, but the 20-70 worked for me too (I'm very short sighted and need a fair bit of ER with my specs on).

The odd for me is that I don't have the same problem with Swarovski 30-70x95, i can't remember if is was with the eye cups for spectacles wearer. I have thought of trying it with the 30-60x to see if that makes any difference.

Tommy

Bear in mind that if the eye relief is too long (in relation to where the eyecup puts your eye) that can give problems too. These can sometimes be be overcome by lifting/unscrewing the eyecups a bit to lift it from the fully-down position. With my current relatively new glasses I have had to fit rubber o-rings under the eyecups of binos I was previously OK with. Bear this in mind next time you try the Meopta and indeed any binos or scopes.

Lee

Yeah, I'm sorry too. I have the same problem with binoculars, what is ok for others with glasses can still a problem for me.

When I have to exchange eye-glasses, I choose a model that minimizes the loss of eye-relief i.e. allows the lenses to be closer to the eyes... ;)

When I have to exchange eye-glasses, I choose a model that minimizes the loss of eye-relief i.e. allows the lenses to be closer to the eyes... ;)

This is what I did when choosing my current glasses but now I am too close to some bino eyepieces and have to unscrew the eyecups a little and if this adjustment is not available on the eyecup I place rubber o-rings under the eyecup to achieve the same thing.

Lee

I have had the same thought but my glasses is not to be exchanged in a while. But I could buy an extra pair with a model where it allows the lenses to be closer to the eyes and just wear it when birding|;|

Tommy

Bear in mind that if the eye relief is too long (in relation to where the eyecup puts your eye) that can give problems too. These can sometimes be be overcome by lifting/unscrewing the eyecups a bit to lift it from the fully-down position. With my current relatively new glasses I have had to fit rubber o-rings under the eyecups of binos I was previously OK with. Bear this in mind next time you try the Meopta and indeed any binos or scopes.

Lee

I tried to lift the eyecup but it just made it worse.

I have ordered the 30-60x WA from my supplier and at the same time got my right of withdraw extended so that I have the option to try the 30-60x WA with the Meostar to see if it fits me better. But i have to wait a bit, the supplier has the eye piece in stock at 28/11 so will know more in about two weeks.

I'll be back then.

Thanks for all your input so far.

I tried to lift the eyecup but it just made it worse.

I have ordered the 30-60x WA from my supplier and at the same time got my right of withdraw extended so that I have the option to try the 30-60x WA with the Meostar to see if it fits me better. But i have to wait a bit, the supplier has the eye piece in stock at 28/11 so will know more in about two weeks.

Good luck Tommy and when trying this eyepiece out make sure your glasses haven't slipped down your nose at all as this would push your eyes further away from the eyecup.

Lee

Good luck Tommy and when trying this eyepiece out make sure your glasses haven't slipped down your nose at all as this would push your eyes further away from the eyecup.

Lee

Thursday I sent the Meopta back to the supplier, the 30-60x WA was delayed to be delivered at 01-02-2019.

But yesterday I found a Black Friday offer for the Swarovski ATX 30-70x95, only € 3000 so I couldn't resist buying it. I will get the eyecups specially made for glass wearers to get more eyerelief.

Thursday I sent the Meopta back to the supplier, the 30-60x WA was delayed to be delivered at 01-02-2019.

But yesterday I found a Black Friday offer for the Swarovski ATX 30-70x95, only € 3000 so I couldn't resist buying it. I will get the eyecups specially made for glass wearers to get more eyerelief.

Sounds like you got a bargain Tommy. Have fun.

Lee

Sounds like you got a bargain Tommy. Have fun.

Lee

Thanks Lee, I will.

And thank you for all your good advices and the very good review of the Meopta which drove me in that direction, a shame for me it didn't end with the Meopta at last.

Have a nice weekend.

Tommy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back