• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BDII-XD - september 2019 (1 Viewer)

OK, it’s September. Where are they? :-O
OK, HERE THEY ARE! GET YOUR PRE ORDERS IN! DON"T DISREGARD THE 8X32'S. THEY ARE 8.8 DEGREE"S AND 462 FEET FOV. SAME AS THE NIKON 8X30 E2! THE 6.5X32 HAS AN AFOV OF 65 DEGREE'S AND THE 8X32 HAS AN AFOV OF 70 DEGREE'S!
https://www.astroshop.eu/instruments/kowa-bd-ii-6-5x32-xd-wide-angle-binoculars/p,63441
https://www.astroshop.eu/instruments/kowa-binoculars-bd-ii-8x32-xd-wide-angle/p,63442
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=Myp2Sxt0Dh4

Last edited:
Did you or anybody compare the 6.5x32 to the 8x32 BD II XDs? I was trying to decide which one to buy. Maybe buy them both and return the one you like least.

Dennis,

The most obvious difference I saw was the CA increased with magnification, and was rather higher than I might expect for a double ED design. However, you should keep in mind what I said elsewhere. Kowa have a bit of a habit of bringing pre-production samples to Birdfair and it's anybody's guess what the final product might look like.

David

I think I will try the 6.5x32 even though I usually don't care for low power but these have a huge FOV and I already have the Swarovski SV 8x32's so there is no way the Kowa's in an 8x32 are going to compare with a $2K binocular even with the bigger FOV and they are not going to bring anything different to the table. 6.5x32 it is then. I don't think even a 10 degree 6.5x will WOW me but we will see. The most WOW binocular I have ever had is the Swarovski SV 12x50 which I still have and is my "Big Gun."

Last edited:
I will be interested to know if the new Kowa BDII-XD series will actually have better optical performance than the old BD-XD Prominar series , or is it only an increase in the Field of View that sets the new series apart.

My wild guess is that Kowa have only changed the eye-pieces and kept the other optics and lenses from the old BD-XD series.

So the question is , if a person is satisfied with the field of view of the old BD-XD Prominar series will it be worth while to upgrade.

But the 6.5 x 32 does interest me .

I have an old series 8 x 42 BD-XD Prominar and I think that it is a very fine binocular.

Cheers.

I will be interested to know if the new Kowa BDII-XD series will actually have better optical performance than the old BD-XD Prominar series , or is it only an increase in the Field of View that sets the new series apart.

My wild guess is that Kowa have only changed the eye-pieces and kept the other optics and lenses from the old BD-XD series.

So the question is , if a person is satisfied with the field of view of the old BD-XD Prominar series will it be worth while to upgrade.

I have an old series 8 x 42 BD-XD Prominar and I think that it is a very fine binocular.

Cheers.
It depends upon how much of a WA fanatic you are.

OK, HERE THEY ARE! GET YOUR PRE ORDERS IN! DON"T DISREGARD THE 8X32'S. THEY ARE 8.8 DEGREE"S AND 462 FEET FOV. SAME AS THE NIKON 8X30 E2! THE 6.5X32 HAS AN AFOV OF 65 DEGREE'S AND THE 8X32 HAS AN AFOV OF 70 DEGREE'S!

I don't think even a 10 degree 6.5x will WOW me but we will see. The most WOW binocular I have ever had is the Swarovski SV 12x50 which I still have and is my "Big Gun."
I think we have a similar sense of wow. The 15x SLC does for me what the 12x EL does for you, which would have been my second choice. And on the other end, what a low mag bino needs to wow is a comparable AFOV, a proportional trade-off of magnification for real field, which almost never happens below 8x, and the 6.5x BD is no exception. (I'll be equally interested to hear about the new BD's construction. I keep being disappointed with that in this price range.)

I think we have a similar sense of wow. The 15x SLC does for me what the 12x EL does for you, which would have been my second choice. And on the other end, what a low mag bino needs to wow is a comparable AFOV, a proportional trade-off of magnification for real field, which almost never happens below 8x, and the 6.5x BD is no exception. (I'll be equally interested to hear about the new BD's construction. I keep being disappointed with that in this price range.)
You and I agree. A 6.5x at 10 degrees is till only 65 degrees AFOV, whereas, the 8x at 8.8 degrees is 70.4 degrees AFOV so I bet the 8x will have more WOW factor. My SV 12x50's are 68.4 degrees AFOV using the simple method of calculation not the ISO. Your SLC 15x56 are 67.5 degrees AFOV. Still a 65 degree 6.5x is pretty good and it is going to have good DOF and be easy to hold steady but WOW factor I don't know. That is one thing that is nice about the BD it has a magnesium frame which is getting rare at the under $500.00 price point.. I will take a magnesium frame any day over polymer I don't care what the plastic nuts have to say.

Last edited:

Cheers.

It is hard to say, but the exterior looks quite a bit more "upscale" to me, so that plus the wide angle viewing would be a fair improvement especially considering the lack of increase in price
Optically I thought the original BD XD was quite good, but with a narrow FOV.

All of the magnifictons look good on paper, but considering I've been using the 10x with Image Stabilization, the 6.5X seems a good complement.

Despite owning some variety of all the alpha models, I still think the 8.5x44 Genesis is my favorite - if only it had a wider field of view. It seems they will never update this model, unfortunately.

It is hard to say, but the exterior looks quite a bit more "upscale" to me, so that plus the wide angle viewing would be a fair improvement especially considering the lack of increase in price
Optically I thought the original BD XD was quite good, but with a narrow FOV.

All of the magnifictons look good on paper, but considering I've been using the 10x with Image Stabilization, the 6.5X seems a good complement.

Despite owning some variety of all the alpha models, I still think the 8.5x44 Genesis is my favorite - if only it had a wider field of view. It seems they will never update this model, unfortunately.

Kowa rep told me new Genesis are in the works and will go to a double bridge design.

Had another chat with Kowa rep this morning. Among other things he said the new Genesis models have been put on the back burner and are probably another year away.

I emailed Kowa today to ask about local retailers carrying their new line, so I could try it out, and the GOOD news is that they will be demo-ing the new BD II XD's in Sonoma this Saturday at the Wine Country Optics Festival.
http://www.sonomabirding.com/coming-events/

The BAD news (for me), is that I will be out of town. Hopefully some folks here on the forum can get up there to try them out and report back. Someone with glasses! ;-)

-Bill

...... That is one thing that is nice about the BD it has a magnesium frame which is getting rare at the under $500.00 price point.. I will take a magnesium frame any day over polymer I don't care what the plastic nuts have to say.
Why do you say that Dennis?

I prefer materials sophistication, performance (as in material properties - strength, stiffness, hygroscopicity, density, etc) , and lightness.

If it was Magnesium Metal Matrix then it might be in with a chance, otherwise it's Carbon Fibre Reinforced Plastic all the way for me ! :cat:

CNRP (Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Polymer) is better and even sexier again !! o:D

Chosun :gh:

Hello,

I am also firmly in the "anti-plastic" camp.

Plastics and rubber of all types WILL deteriorate over time , although the old formula Bakelite seems to last well.

Metals on the other hand , given a modicum of care will last practically forever , and they also just feel right and proper.

Weight reduction can be overdone.

o:D o:D o:D

Cheers.

I took our youngest to our laboratory and showed him magnesium, it burned extremely well yielding a phantastic amount of light..
The fighter planes of our military and also quite a bit of weaponry consists of "plastic = reinforced carbon fibre" etc. Very strong, durable and in many occasions much better then metal.
The Victory FL's I have seen did not detiorate one bit since the time they were produced despite very intense use.
Prejudice is a very tough phenomenon.
Gijs van Ginkel

I took our youngest to our laboratory and showed him magnesium, it burned extremely well yielding a phantastic amount of light..
The fighter planes of our military and also quite a bit of weaponry consists of "plastic = reinforced carbon fibre" etc. Very strong, durable and in many occasions much better then metal.
The Victory FL's I have seen did not detiorate one bit since the time they were produced despite very intense use.
Prejudice is a very tough phenomenon.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thank you Gijs - I couldn't have put it in better words!

Which brings us to the interesting question - what about optics with magnesium bodies on aircraft? Magnesium is on the list... only powder, only pure metal or alloys too? So many questions...

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/~/...ort/security/dangerous--prohibited-items.ashx

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back