• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (4 Viewers)

Most of the regular summer visitors have shown up, and as always the last one to appear in its "usual place" (see previous entries) is the Rufous Bushchat. It must have arrived in the last two days - it wasn't there on Tuesday, found it yesterday. It is so easy to see and hear, and quite approachable; this is easily one of the most reliable places I know for this charming little bird.

Attachments

• RBC.jpg
    RBC.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 94
Here's an oddity seen today at El Hondo. Photographed at long range from the first hide on the Vistabella Road - I think it's a Black-necked Grebe!

Attachments

• Albino.jpg
    Albino.jpg
    530.5 KB · Views: 136
Will be out there again in three weeks time - can't wait. Will try to make an effort for the magpies this year.

Hi Phil - I finally managed to get to the Magpies this morning, having taken the correct second roundabout instead of the first. I didn't want to trust my car on the rough track down to the salinas, so I parked at the end of the metalling and straight away one flew right overhead!

Armed with my trusty new Sigma zoom, I thought it would be easy to get some great shots, but they are very flighty and wary. They seemed to be centred on the large tree alongside the last villa on the right-hand side, but frequently flew across the track into the rough ground behind the broken wall on the left. I estimate there were up to 20 birds present.

I went to the nearby Zenia Boulevard for some retail therapy and lunch, and returned at about 2 p.m. It was getting quite warm, and I only managed to see 2 flyovers in about half an hour of searching, so it seems the best time to see them is early morning.

These aren't much cop as photos, but they might whet your appetite. Good luck!

Attachments

• AWM1.jpg
    AWM1.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 118
  • AWM2.JPG
    AWM2.JPG
    448.3 KB · Views: 116
  • AWM3.jpg
    AWM3.jpg
    790.4 KB · Views: 121
  • AWM4.jpg
    AWM4.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 105
Most of the regular summer visitors have shown up, and as always the last one to appear in its "usual place" (see previous entries) is the Rufous Bushchat. It must have arrived in the last two days - it wasn't there on Tuesday, found it yesterday. It is so easy to see and hear, and quite approachable; this is easily one of the most reliable places I know for this charming little bird.

Is this just before you get to the green bins along the coast road? Will try to combine with a visit to Clot and an evening stakeout of Red-necked Nightjars up by the lighthouse

Got the Azure-winged Magpies this morning. Directions are dead easy. Head to La Balcones past Torrevieja hospital. Don't take the first roundabout into La Balcones - take the second roundabout. Turn right and park at the end of the road. There is some rough ground to the right and a garden on the left. I saw the first 2 magpies here. I then walked another 100 yards towards the lake where I found at least 5 more magpies on the left on more rough ground, watched from a break in the wall on the left hand side. Took about 15 minutes and got awesome views.

Just so I am clear, on the CV-95 head west and turn right at the second roundabout after the hospital on to Avenue Angel Garcia Rogel?

That's the one. also there is a road parallel to that street to the east, you can see the large tree by the villa from it and sometimes the magpies forage in the rough ground between the tree and this road - might give you more opportunities.

The Bushchats are in the first plantation on the left coming from Gran Alacant, there is a large parking area on the left just before it. Watch out for the perverts who also frequent this plantation - the "naked cyclist" is regular at the moment! :eek!:

8 weeks until I come out. When do the Bush Chats usually hang on until? Also keen to get info for Eagle Owl. That would about finish off all the local birds for me...

That's the one. also there is a road parallel to that street to the east, you can see the large tree by the villa from it and sometimes the magpies forage in the rough ground between the tree and this road - might give you more opportunities.

The Bushchats are in the first plantation on the left coming from Gran Alacant, there is a large parking area on the left just before it. Watch out for the perverts who also frequent this plantation - the "naked cyclist" is regular at the moment! :eek!:

Cheers Mark for confirmation of the AWM location.

Last time I had the chat on the inland side of the road approx 200 metres before the lay by but I suppose they frequent the whole area (as do the cruisers ....)

For those of you planning to come here during high summer, the slightly disappointing news is that several of the El Hondo lagoons are beginning to dry out. I visited yesterday, still some good birds about but the numbers are down quite considerably.

For Hotspur, the Bushchats should be here until the beginning of September.

Azure-winged Magpie safely connected with as per the previous instructions; more were calling from the large villa surrounded by trees immediately to the east. Also a male Montagu's Harrier in the vicinity of the lake's shoreline.

For those of you planning to come here during high summer, the slightly disappointing news is that several of the El Hondo lagoons are beginning to dry out. I visited yesterday, still some good birds about but the numbers are down quite considerably.

For Hotspur, the Bushchats should be here until the beginning of September.

Did my first visit of the holiday to El Hondo yesterday and noted the same thing (a bit hard to ignore). Most obvious impact was the lack of duck - no White-headed Duck or Black-necked Grebe and just one of each of Pochard and Red-creasted Pochard.

On the positive side there were plenty of Marbled Duck and Purple Gallinules, herons noted included 4+ Little Bittern, 5+ Squaccos, 2 Purple Heron and plenty of Glossy Ibis along with Grey Heron and Cattle and Little Egret. Waders were limited to stilts, Avocet, Kentish and Little Ringed Plover, singles of Redshank and Greenshank and 2 Green Sand. Lots of Whiskered Tern and plenty of gulls (Med / Black-headed / Slender-billed). The reed-beds were alive with Great Reed Warbler. A Woodchat Shrike was on wires between the reserve and San Filipe Nesri whilst the palm plantation at the north gate held the usual Roller and Bee-eater. Will try to post some photos in the next day or two.

Are there White-headed Duck this year at Clot?

Selection of photos taken on Tuesday at El Hondo with my bridge camera (SX40) - imagine what images you could get with a decent bit of kit!

1. Marbled Duck
2. Roller (north gate)
3. Bee-eater (north gate)
4. Squacco Heron
5. Collared Pratincole

Attachments

• Marbled Duck.jpg
    Marbled Duck.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 103
  • Roller2.jpg
    Roller2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Bee-eater.jpg
    Bee-eater.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Squacco2.jpg
    Squacco2.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Collared Pratincole.jpg
    Collared Pratincole.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 121
Are there White-headed Duck this year at Clot?

Hi Phil

Yesterday 2 Males and 1 female present - youngster also seen over the past few days. The resident Little Bitterns are showing occasionally, but you have to be patient, caught one yesterday with his lunch!

Attachments

• LB.jpg
    LB.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 101
And a few more from El Hondo:

1. Whiskered Tern
2. Purple Gallinule
3. Great Reed Warbler (adult feeding young)

Attachments

• Whiskered Tern.jpg
    Whiskered Tern.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Purple Gallinule.jpg
    Purple Gallinule.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 102
  • GRW.jpg
    GRW.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 103
Hi Phil

Yesterday 2 Males and 1 female present - youngster also seen over the past few days. The resident Little Bitterns are showing occasionally, but you have to be patient, caught one yesterday with his lunch!

Cheers Mark - might give it a go on Monday combined with an early morning visit to El Hondo, a bit of Robin hunting and an evening up at the lighthouse for Red-necked Nightjars. Was there anything else of interest at Clot?

PS Black-necked Grebes have clearly dispersed to larger bodies of water - had rafts of 14 and 20 at San Pedro del Pinatar salt pans on Wednesday, the first time I have seen them there during the summer

The Clot is fairly quiet now compared with a few weeks ago - it looks as though Pochard, Red-crested Pochard and White-headed duck have all bred successfully, there are loads of Reed and Great Reed Warblers about, there is a group of about ten Bee-eaters which are breeding in the centre of the Clot and come to the main pool each evening for a drink, as do large numbers of Spotless Starlings and their youngsters. Zitters are everywhere (not just the Clot!), the Little Bitterns appear to have bred but beyond that nothing much out of the ordinary for this area. Savi's Warbler are in the large central reedbed.

There seem to be fewer Red-rumped Swallows than in past years although they are about, also I am 95% certain there are Bearded Tits in the overgrown scrape area - heard but not seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back