Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Olrog's Gull in Bahia Blanca, Argentina

Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 10:31   #1
SlowLowFlyingTurkey

Olrog's Gull in Bahia Blanca, Argentina

I am trying to find out if it is possible to see Olrog's Gulls around Bahia Blanca and if so, where is the best place to look for them. I've read that they nest in the bay but it looks like a large area and I was wondering if there is a spot in or near the town itself where they hang out. I don't drive so will be limited to public transport or taxis.

I realise that Punta Rasa is the usual spot to see them but I won't be able to make it there.

I have also posted this in the Argentina section but that doesn't seem very active. Any information gratefully received.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 13:18   #2
Jens Thalund

Looking at records on eBird there seems to be birds present year round, maybe except January and February, but anywhere along the coast, around estuaries and fishing harbours, could be worth a try.

cheers

Jens
Old Sunday 14th October 2018, 01:24   #3
Jon Gallagher

I had 4 birds over San Antonio Oeste in November a few years ago, on my way to Las Grutas. That's a bit of a way from Bahia Blanca, but anyway...

Cheers,

Jon
Old Monday 15th October 2018, 08:38   #4
SlowLowFlyingTurkey

Thank you, Jens and Jon.

I have now booked a one-way flight from BA to Puerto Madryn so I will be doing the return trip by bus, which means I will almost certainly break the journey at Bahia Blanca. I guess I'll just have to wander down to the waterfront and have a look around.
Old Wednesday 17th October 2018, 19:01   #5
MSA
I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....

Don't know if this will be of use, but on a cruise in Feb 2014 there were a few Olrog's Gulls on the breakwater at Buenos Aires main harbour, seen from the ship as it sailed off in the early evening.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 19th October 2018, 19:33   #6
pbjosh

Arroyo Parejas looks to be a far more reliable spot, closer out on the ocean, than Bahia Blanca itself, for what it's worth. I don't know if that will be possible for you but if you look at the eBird hotspot for Balneario Arroyo Pareja it would appear Olrog's Gull is almost guaranteed.

Mark - Olrog's Gull is decidedly less common in summer here in BsAs (and is never really common here), you did well to get them in February!
Old Sunday 21st October 2018, 17:22   #7
MSA
I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....

I had no idea Josh - guess that explains why I only saw one or two, thought I just wasn't looking hard enough! The cruise left in the early evening, so I assumed the birds roosted out on the breakwaters.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: