• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

red wattlebird bird bath behaviour (1 Viewer)

Frozzbird

G'day,.,I used to have a mob of Red Wattlebirds who delighted me by really getting stuck into the bird bath I set up.They would completely submerge and frolick around,preening etc.
But now that I'm at a different location(same suburb)and have another family of Red Wattlebirds visiting many times of day,they don't bother with the same enthusiasm towards this bath as the others did.
They occasionaly have a drink and just jump around the outside of it.
The bath water is very clean and is on a dripping fed system.
The only thing I can think of is that the bath is of a deeper depth and they might not like the bottom appearance.
But these birds are a very confident species so I just don't know if going through heaps of design changes would work.
Any suggestions would be mucho thanko,.,B :)
>>>>and what is in fact the correct spelling of the Red Wattlebird,or is it Red Wattle Bird ?

Hmmm I haven't studied wattlebirds beyond trying to work out what it means when they clack their beak. But I did my major in animal behaviour looking at risk assessment. Apart from what you already mentioned, I would consider differences between the two environments, such as is the new place more noisy, are they more prone to predators sneaking up due to more cover etc. Is there a cat or dog in the yard next door?

If there isn't anything obvious there may be a difference in personality between the clans, which doesn't really get discussed very much because it is so difficult to quantify these kinds of behavioural variation.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back