• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold HD's (1 Viewer)

oleaf

Check out EO current prices on the Leupold HD's. When I was looking for new bins, I thought the GoldRing series was nice (tried them out at the Outdoor retailer show in Salt lake) but too expensive (for me)

They seemed in every way like top end bins.

For some reason the bottom is dropping out on price. Guess the market let Leupold know who they'll trust for 1000+ bins.

I think for now that part of the market is almost impossible enter.

Cheers

Interesting find. Have you found similarly low prices at other websites?

I notice that the EO ad page shows that the binocular is out-of-stock and that the list price is around $950. This information is more consistent with the older, non-HD version, I think, ... even though the page clearly states the HD version. Could this ad page be an error, put together by someone who is not aware of the two versions?

I agree with you about the Gold Ring. I have the older, non-HD version in 8x42, and I think it's excellent.

No.. I don't think EO made an error in price. B&H has even better pricing.

Both companies are professional.

Even though the Gold Ring binos are very good... Leupold no doubt adjusted down their
pricing as they are not going to get 1100+ for their product (even if it's that good)

I'll bet since introduction the GR series has been slow to sell (even to hunters)
If you're going to spend $1100 or $1200... you can spend $1600 to get the L,S,Z binos.

And... look at the 8x32 GR. They are as heavy as average 8x42s. So what's the advantage to those? If it's just price, you can go down to $395 and match the performance (pretty much)

cheers

I see that you're right about B&H. Interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.

I also agree on your statements about Leupold's reputation being not quite as prominent as the big three and the Gold Ring series' weights.

Given recent statements in the Binocular Forum regarding shorter warranties (Leica only?), Leupold's famous warranty reputation hopefully will become a bigger factor.

I'm tempted to buy an HD, but I hope to read more convincing posts regarding the improvement. There have been a few, but I hope to see more posts.

SteveF,

I think the GR series is as close to the big 3 as anyone.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Leupold-Golden-Ring-8x42.php

30 oz or so is not bad for the 42's. The SLC's are within a few oz anyway.

Something to think about... Leupold might be pricing down because of the impending
recession. High end binos are a luxury purchase (for most) and customers buying these
type (high-end) binos already have a descent set to use. So, they can wait it out.

The big 3 are gonna hurt if we hit full-blown recession. With the exchange rate they have no where to go. Although the GR's are built in the states I'll bet the parts are Taiwan/Chinese (not that there's anything wrong with that). This allows them to cut some margin.

Think about it. Leupold was prepared to sell at $1200 (and tried to set MSRP at that level).
Without the exchange problems big 3 are $1000 to $1300 for top 42's.

Now Leupolds GR's are at $650-$750... exactly where they should be. If the price stays here they'll do very, very well.

Nice try Leupold.

Last edited:
I'm rooting for Leupold's survival and prosperity, too.

Thanks for the link. I saw it soon after it was 'published', alerted to it by the posts in this forum. But it is for the first, pre-HD version. It was that and other posts that made my decision to buy it; and its performance (and Leupold's warranty reputation) encouraged me to buy my second one. I'm already convinced of Leupold's capabilities.

What I'd like to hear about is how much better the HD-lensed version is. Even in some large urban areas, getting one's hands on the top end models is not easy. One reads about the "FL" upgrades in other brands, but how easily noticeable is the image improvement? Having said that, though, I might still go ahead with a purchase.

They are mainly a hunter and sportsman supplier where their competition is Nikon and Zeiss and now Pentax. Compared to the high-end birder market, even the higher end hunting market is a little more price sensitive (excluding the stratospherically priced top end suppliers). My guess is that they are pricing to that market. By contrast, the high-end birder market mainly prefers European makers and is not as inclined to shop price; Leica buyers want Leica even if Kowa or Leupold makes a unit of equal quality at a lower price.

They are mainly a hunter and sportsman supplier where their competition is Nikon and Zeiss and now Pentax. Compared to the high-end birder market, even the higher end hunting market is a little more price sensitive (excluding the stratospherically priced top end suppliers). My guess is that they are pricing to that market. By contrast, the high-end birder market mainly prefers European makers and is not as inclined to shop price; Leica buyers want Leica even if Kowa or Leupold makes a unit of equal quality at a lower price.

I'm not sure the high-end hunting or birding market is price sensitive. The mid-range is very price sensitive though.

Brand history, image and optical ability is allowing S, L, Z sell at these prices. Nikon and these Leupold HD's, Kowas Genisis, Meopta Meostar are pretty much the equal of the top brands. But... their brand image is not going to let them get the $$$ right now. 5 years time? But they will sell all day long at $789... $899.

Plus.... Swarovski and Leica are excellent at understanding their customer
and market. This part is not so easy.

cheers

Last edited:
Both Eagle Optics and Cabela's are pricing the HD's at $750, which is a great deal. You can still find the non-HD new on ebay for $630. I ordered the 8x42HD from Cabela's, and they are backordered for several more weeks. I'm like everyone else that if I was going to spend over a grand for bins I would have spent the extra and got one of the Z's or S's, so these Golden Rings are saving me a ton of money

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back