• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better than Gitzo? (1 Viewer)

John Russell

Some five years ago I bought a Series 2 Gitzo basalt tripod, a GT2942L. There were then fewer alternatives and the choice was determined by the requirement for light weight, but also height for my 192 cm and the 65 mm straight Diascope I was then using. Basalt was a compromise, 200 g heavier than carbon fibre but about €200 cheaper. Nevertheless, the tripod cost about €450.

I now use a Swarovski ATM 65HD (angled) with 30x eyepiece but on a trip to the North Sea coast this spring, the limitations of the Gitzo were very apparent. In strong winds the vibrations could not be damped sufficiently, although I hung my bin bag over all three legs. Despite the angled scope I still needed to use some of the 16 mm bottom leg sections, which would only have about 50% of the rigidity of the 20 mm sections above them.

A good alternative would have been a 3-section CF Gitzo Series 3 but the price of around €800 was a deterrent. The CP30 from FLM looked interesting but had one significant disadvantage. The legs can be folded back through 180° over the extended centre column (and ballhead) to reduce the packed length, but the catches on the leg tops are not spring-loaded. Now birders move around with a folded tripod much more than photographers and it would be a PIA tohave to have to reset the retaining catches every time I wanted to set up the tripod.

The alternative CF tripods from Benro, Induro and Slik were cheaper but appeared less well made than Gitzo and although Feisol enjoys a good reputation, I didn't like the look of the weave-pattern carbon fibre "wallpaper." I don't think carbon fibre tubes are made that way.

I then looked at Sirui. The M-3204 was the winner in a test in a German photography magazine and in stability second only to a Manfrotto 057 costing twice as much and weighing over 1 kg more. I considered the ability to detach one leg to use as a monopod something of a gimmiick, and would have preferred 3 leg sections instead of 4, but at 32, 28, 25 and 22 mm they promised vastly better stability (Gitzo has 4 mm steps), and a Youtube video of a Polish tester doing a pullup on the 18 kg rated Sirui convinced me.

I paid €350 for the Sirui and it came complete with cordura case, carrying strap, alternative short 9 cm centre column and a second top plate. Unfortunately the case is dimensioned for legs folded back over an extended centre column (and ballhead) and this is not possible with my video head, so I shall be using the felt bag I had made up for the Gitzo for transport.

Finish is excellent, the rubber feet offer plenty of grip on smooth surfaces and can be turned to expose stainless steel spikes - much better than the rattly and dirt-gathering accessories I bought for the Gitzo. An ingenious minor detail is the ability to attach the second top plate and reversible 1/4", 3/8" thread to the short centre column (each with its own little bag) without tools.

Maximum height was measured at 146 cm with another 30 cm available with the centre column and, despite much thicker leg sections than the basalt Gitzo, the weight at 1710 g is 80 g lower. Stability is in a different category to the basalt Gitzo, more in line with an old Series 4 Gitzo aluminium tripod weighing 3,6 kg.

I can unreservedly recommend Sirui. The M-3204 is for me the best compromise of stability, weight and cost.

John

Interesting. I have some Sirui stuff (but not a tripod) and rate them highly. One of their products that I have is the P424 mono pod which is truly excellent for the money. However their carbon tubing does not seem to be quite as rigid as Gitzo. In my VERY non-scientific test I extended the P424 to the same length as a fully extended leg on my Gitzo 3530ls and the Sirui was no more rigid than a Gitzo leg 1 series smaller. This is not an issue as Gitzo didn't make an equivalent mono pod and if they did it would have been 2 or 3 times the price!

The bottom line is that if my local camera shop was not doing such good deals at the time I would not be using Gitzos. With the prices they were offering at the time other brands looked a bit expensive! Yes a South Wales high street camera shop was selling me Carbon Gitzo at Sirui prices and cheaper than Feisol etc!

John,

Out of interest I measured the wall thickness of the second (28 mm) section of the Sirui tripod. It was 1,0 mm, which enables them to go down in 3 mm steps. I could not measure the 32 mm section but you may be able to do so with your P-424 monopod. However, I assume that Sirui use greater wall thicknesses for the diameters above 28 mm (4 mm steps) for impact resistance.

Gitzo have AFAIK 1,2 mm wall thickness for all tubes and materials, so I'm not surprised that the legs on your 3530ls with 24x1,2 mm bottom sections could have been a little more rigid than the 25x1,0 bottom tubes of the Sirui monopod.

My Sirui M-3204 tripod could perhaps best be compared to the 4-section Gitzo Series 3 tripods, GT3541 and GT3541L. Its height falls between the two, but whereas the Gitzos weigh 1.98 and 2,13 Kg respectively, the Sirui is only 1,7 kg.

I think Gitzo have been resting on their laurels for far too long; they didn't even exhibit at Photokina last year and they charge for all the accessories, bag, carrying strap, spikes etc. Sirui products are very well engineered and come with all the accessories one needs (and some one doesn't) at about half the price, so I think I can comfotably ignore Gitzo's better service as it is unlikely that I will ever need it.

John

John,

Out of interest I measured the wall thickness of the second (28 mm) section of the Sirui tripod. It was 1,0 mm, which enables them to go down in 3 mm steps. I could not measure the 32 mm section but you may be able to do so with your P-424 monopod. However, I assume that Sirui use greater wall thicknesses for the diameters above 28 mm (4 mm steps) for impact resistance.

Gitzo have AFAIK 1,2 mm wall thickness for all tubes and materials, so I'm not surprised that the legs on your 3530ls with 24x1,2 mm bottom sections could have been a little more rigid than the 25x1,0 bottom tubes of the Sirui monopod.

My Sirui M-3204 tripod could perhaps best be compared to the 4-section Gitzo Series 3 tripods, GT3541 and GT3541L. Its height falls between the two, but whereas the Gitzos weigh 1.98 and 2,13 Kg respectively, the Sirui is only 1,7 kg.

I think Gitzo have been resting on their laurels for far too long; they didn't even exhibit at Photokina last year and they charge for all the accessories, bag, carrying strap, spikes etc. Sirui products are very well engineered and come with all the accessories one needs (and some one doesn't) at about half the price, so I think I can comfotably ignore Gitzo's better service as it is unlikely that I will ever need it.

John

I totally agree with your comments about Gitzo sitting on their Laurels. However, from all the products that I have tried, Gitzo have a significant advantage in the Carbon fiber legs. They manage to make stiffer legs that are lighter and yet still damp vibration better. This is not to knock the other manufacturers as some produce products that are often technically better and certainly cheaper, and are fully up to the job.
As I said in my previous post I went Gitzo due to price (yes read that again!) as they were cheaper than the equivalents that I could get at the time. Were I buying now I would go straight to the likes of Sirui/Feisol but they are more expensive than my Gitzos were at the time - I love high street camera shops as Hong Kong can be so expensive!

What about the metal versions of the Gitzo tripods. It seems like the heavy metal Gitzo metal tripods would be better dampened, harder to carry but better dampened. I own the old Gitzo 410R and it seems to stand up to high winds fairly well.

What about the metal versions of the Gitzo tripods. It seems like the heavy metal Gitzo metal tripods would be better dampened, harder to carry but better dampened. I own the old Gitzo 410R and it seems to stand up to high winds fairly well.

Standing up to high winds and dampening vibrations are two different things.

One question that can't be answered yet is durability over an extended period

It's not only about leg/wall thickness because the fittings and fixtures are equally important.

Not saying Sirui or Feisol will not equal Gitzo in those respects, only time will tell

One question that can't be answered yet is durability over an extended period

It's not only about leg/wall thickness because the fittings and fixtures are equally important.

Not saying Sirui or Feisol will not equal Gitzo in those respects, only time will tell

I don't see any cause for concern here. It's not as if the joints are likely to be subjected to tens of thousands of operations.

I can say however, that the precision build of the Sirui is better than my Gitzo. One only has to loosen the joints a half turn and all leg sections slide out under gravity. On the Gitzo they have to be pulled out. The Sirui tubes have two internal guide rails, the Gitzo's only one.

Of course, Gitzo offers better spare parts availability, but at what cost?

John

Standing up to high winds and dampening vibrations are two different things.

Would you please explain as I am not an expert but it seems to me weight is your friend for both high winds and dampening. Providing the mechanism is the same the thicker legs and heavier tripod should vibrate less with my way of thinking.

.......the thicker legs and heavier tripod should vibrate less with my way of thinking.

I recall having read test results some time ago here in BF saying that carbon fiber is still the best when it comes to dampening effects (given same weight). But also that hanging a load on the hook of the center column does the opposite of what one might have expected. Vibrations were going on for a longer time. But I'm sure such a tripod would be less prone to falling over in high winds.

But also that hanging a load on the hook of the center column does the opposite of what one might have expected.

I think that is when the load is swinging in the wind, when it has contact to the soil and does not swing, it should be better.

Best help for dampening vibrations is to hang a backpack not under the center column but with one strap over the legs. My velbon tripod came with a stone bag that is attached to the 3 legs, this should have the same effect (I never used that).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back