• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

A few more images from yesterday's visit.

Attachments

• 02Sept-9213.jpg
    02Sept-9213.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 02Sept-9225.jpg
    02Sept-9225.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 54
  • 02Sept-9246.jpg
    02Sept-9246.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 02Sept-9264.jpg
    02Sept-9264.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 02Sept-9286.jpg
    02Sept-9286.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 36
Monday 3rd September 0840-1420 & 1845-2010

Just over 8 hours on the reserve yielded only 63 species - it was hard work! Spare a thought for Andy Pitt who was on site for 12 hours!! It could be very hard work on Saturday for the Autumn All-Day Birdwatch ….

SAILING POOL
1 Little Egret, 10 Great Crested Grebe, 19 Coot, 2 Moorhen, Grey Wagtail, Meadow Pipit over (first of the autumn?), Garden Warbler by the gate to the Flashes as per Neil Duggan.

FLASHES
13 Curlew, 3 Snipe, 62 Lapwing, 7 Shoveler early morning only, 5 Moorhen, 2 Raven, Peregrine, Jay, Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker, 325 BH Gull roosted on 3rd Flashes including a yellow ringed bird - possibly 2??J,Common Tern through at c8pm.

MOORS POOL
2 juvenile Black-tailed Godwit, 10 Snipe, 3 Green Sandpiper, juvenile Dunlin (very vocal this evening and not seen after a Sparrowhawk flushed everything), 183 Lapwing, 5 Wigeon, 40 Shoveler, 39 Teal, 12 Gadwall, 3 Pochard, 2 Great Crested Grebe (+1 on North Moors), 17 Little Grebe, 6 Cormorant, 3 Little Egret, 3 Grey Heron, 7 Mute Swan, 20 Moorhen, 205 Coot, Raven, Jay, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Sand Martin, Kingfisher, Swift reported, Common Tern briefly at 7:50pm as per Tim O.

Butterflies included Brown Argus, Small Copper, Comma, Common Blue, Speckled Wood, Red Admiral and Large White.

Odonata include Brown Hawker, Migrant Hawker, Common Darter and Common Blue Damselfly.

A photographer's camouflaged "bean bag" style camera rest was found on the east track this evening and placed in the East (Lapwing) Hide for safe keeping.

Last edited:
JTB also reports at the Moors Pool this morning:

Wigeon 3, Shoveler 8, Lapwing 30, Snipe 3, Little Grebe 15, Kingfisher regularly seen, no Black-tailed Godwit or Dunlin, Water Rail several calling.

Hi all

I have just had to remove a juvenile blue tit from the Lapwing Hide. Please can we all make sure the windows and doors are closed!

Bird was fine and I did not have to touch it, but perhaps may not have been the case if it was there all night!

Also could not resist this one - the feathers on the back of this particular bird are amazing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 53
An eventful 14 hours on the reserve today

Work Party
Thanks to all 10 of us today , we brush cut the Pool Island and part of the promontory. The cuttings were raked up and piled up into the channel south side of the island. Here the cuttings will form a temporary island where waders and duck will loaf and feed on it.
The pics show the Pool island after the work. close ups of muddy bays and now short cut vegetation.
Thanks to Alan D, Bobby P, Charles, Ian Joh, Keith M, Paul M, Terry W, Tony B, Sophie a newbie and me.

Attachments

• Pool Is after brush cutting 4th Sep 18 DSCF1240.jpg
    Pool Is after brush cutting 4th Sep 18 DSCF1240.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 52
  • close ups of work DSCF1245.jpg
    close ups of work DSCF1245.jpg
    891.7 KB · Views: 45
  • close up of pool island DSCF1246.jpg
    close up of pool island DSCF1246.jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 48
  • pool is close up DSCF1247.jpg
    pool is close up DSCF1247.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 54
Birding the Moors all day

Arrived 6.45am to great conditions of drizzle, low cloud and a cool NW breeze.
Within 15 minutes I heard a "chiff" immediately saying to Richard B that I thought I heard a wood sand then the full "chiff iff" call sounded as the bird appeared at the far end of the pool island. Now that the island has been brush cut we should be able to pick up waders much easier. Hopefully the more open aspect of the scrape will also attract waders.
After saying this, today was about much more than waders passerines were much in evidence.
Behind the East hide a tit flock numbering 120+ birds passed through over a 20 minute period. This flock included treecreeper, chiffchaffs, blackcap, goldcrest along the same hedge line was my first Nuthatch of the year on the reserve.
I did a thorough waterfowl count before and after the work party and nothing left the reserve. In fact after the work all the waterfowl were pushed to the north end of the pool where counting revealed even more coot and little grebes.
The little grebes roosted en-masse in blanket weed in the NE corner.
Overhead passage included singles of meadow pipit & grey wagtail.
A good flock of large gulls spent long periods on the pool amongst them was at least 1 YLG.
Early afternoon 3pm Paul M phoned me to say that he had spoken to a couple of togs who showed him a pic of a bird that he said was almost certainly a whinchat. I rushed around to the car park where I met Dave who showed me his shots of the bird and indeed it was a whinchat. But Dave said they hadn't seen it for 30 minutes or more. Myself and Bill Box dashed up to the concrete hide where luckily I re-found the 2 birds yes 2 of them. They performed really well for at least 3 hours after this, flycatching and perching on top of bullrush heads. All in all a very productive day hopefully this bodes well for Saturday's All-Dayer.

Species count MOORS:
GCG ad +juv, Little grebe 27 +, cormorant 4, Little egret 3, grey heron 3, Teal 37, Gadwall 12, Wigeon 5, Shoveler 29, Tufted 55+, pochard 3,
Mute swan 7, Buzzard 7, Sparrowhawk,
Water rail 5+, coot 189,
lapwing 120+, curlew 12, snipe 4, WOOD SANDPIPER JUV, Green sand,
BHG 750, Common Gull juv, Yellow legged gull ad, Herring gull 360, herring gull 140, common tern flyover,
stock dove 6, swift, kingfisher 3, great sp woodp 2, swallow 5, sand martin 5, house martin 45, jay, treecreeper, nuthatch, song thrush, WHINCHAT 2 juvs, cettis w 2, reed warbler, sedge w, blackcap 2, chiffchaff 10 -12, goldcrest, meadow pipit, grey wag, pied wag, greenfinch 6, goldfinch, reed bunting

Spotted Flycatcher at the North Moors by the seasonal pool as per Phil and Lyn Cooper.

Whinchat and Wheatear still at the Flashes.

Photos taken yesterday

Grey, flat light yesterday morning gave these near black and white images. Look carefully at the eye and, more clearly, the foot in the final image, to see they are in fact colour.

Attachments

• Little Egret-0371.jpg
    Little Egret-0371.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Little Egret-0393.jpg
    Little Egret-0393.jpg
    884 KB · Views: 36
  • Little Egret-0394.jpg
    Little Egret-0394.jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 55
A fine trio of migrants at the reserve today courtesy of Lynn and Phil Cooper :t:

Attachments

• IMG_0952.jpg
    IMG_0952.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Back