• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July 2005 theme challenge - 'Butterflies, Moths and other Insects' - How to enter! (1 Viewer)

IanF

For July 2005 the theme is 'Butterflies, Moths and other Insects'.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification.

The Moderators decision is final.

Rules -

1. Entries to have been taken in the last twelve months ie. since 1st July 2004
2. Date taken to be included in the entry - must at least include month and year.
3. Entries to be uploaded between 1st-21st midnight GMT(BST).
4. Your entry must be of a wild subject - not one in captivity or cultivated.
5. Location taken to be included and must include at least the county/state and country.
6. One entry per member.
7. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot - no composite images.
8. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However, you have until the closing date/time of this competition to ensure that your entry meets criteria as regards details/description.
9. The entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site.
10. Please add the Common Name if possible - this rule has been relaxed due to difficulties in indentification of some species (please add the scientific name too if you can).
11. Details of photo equipment used to be included.
12. Comments are permitted on entries.

Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery

A voting booth will be posted after the 21st.

Please note 30 entries will be selected for addition to the voting booth for members to vote upon.

The entries not selected for inclusion in the voting booth will be moved to their respective Gallery forum.

Any queries about this months competition, please post below.

Limits on photo size and kb are determined by the Gallery limits. The proposed monthly themes are listed in the Competition forum - however they are subject to amendment and designation as 'prize competition' themes which will appear periodically.

Grampy,
I wonder if you have actually read the above: it says
a Entries should be uploaded to the Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery, and
b Your entry must be of a wild subject - not one in captivity or cultivated

So would your proposed picture not be disqualified as being one in captivity?

Niels

I'm afraid so on both counts.

The entry must be uploaded to the competition forum in the Gallery - accessible through the above link in red and the subject must be wild - not captive.

IanF said:
I'm afraid so on both counts.

The entry must be uploaded to the competition forum in the Gallery - accessible through the above link in red and the subject must be wild - not captive.

Sorry, missed the bit about uploading to gallery, it must have been the bright red writing that confused me....

As for being wild, the moth was released from a light trap and photographed in its natural habitat, on the bracken under which it was first attracted. Therefore not captive...

Help!

I forgot to add the country to the photo I just uploaded to the monthly competition. Is there a way I can add USA to my info? Sue Cassidy

Hi Sue. If you click on "edit" to the lower right hand side of the photo, just below the thumbnails, you can add your change there.

Hi Ian, I just saw too late that the subject isn't just butterflies, but insects in common... :egghead: Is it possible to change my entree? I've uploaded two pics today, one butterfly and a hoverfly. I'd like to put the hoverfly in the competition, so that there's more diversity in the amount of pics!

cheers,
Luc

Where's my photo gone?

Hi Ian,

A few days ago I uploaded my brimstone butterfly photo on to the competition gallery, and then had a quick look to make sure it went on ok. I've just had a look through the Comp gallery again and my photo is no longer there. Could it have possibly been taken off for some reason?
By the way, the same photo is also in the main gallery.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I don't know what's happened here?

I can confirm you correctly uploaded the photo to the competition forum as I received notification of the entry, but as you say it's not there now.

I have now moved the photo into the competition forum from the main gallery :t:

Hi Ian,
Could you please take a look at the picture I have of a red dragonfly in my gallery http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/31555/sort/1/cat/500/page/4. I don't know more of the name than what is given below the photo. Could you answer if that would be disqualified? If not, please include this photo in the contest folder.

If you think this photo would be disqualified, I would like you to instead transfer the photo of a hercules beetle to the contest http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/56426/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

thanks
Niels

Hi Niels,

I have transferred the red dragonfly as it qualifies as an entry as it stands.

I can't at this stage though comment whether it will make the final 30 for the voting booth.

IanF said:
Hi Niels,

I have transferred the red dragonfly as it qualifies as an entry as it stands.

I can't at this stage though comment whether it will make the final 30 for the voting booth.

Ian, Thanks!

re your second comment, we will see what happens ;)

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back