• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redwing? Melling Liverpool UK (today) (1 Viewer)

Hi all

Is this a Redwing?

It was with a 'flock' of Fieldfare (and a few Mistle Thrushes, Starlings and Pied Wagtails too). I only noticed it whilst looking through my photos once home.

Now I know Redwings are a common bird - especially at this time of year - but, believe it or not, I have never seen a blimmin' Redwing! So will be popping back to the farmer's field again to look out for more (if it is). I have been wrong before due to misidentifying Redwings with Fieldfare - and the fact that I suffer from colour blindness (common not extreme).

1. The original photo resized due to forum specifications.
2. The original size of the image on the photo.
3. The image blown up.
4. The image blown up and lightened.

cheers

Attachments

• Redwing-001.jpg
    Redwing-001.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Redwing-002.jpg
    Redwing-002.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Redwing-003.jpg
    Redwing-003.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 104
  • Redwing-004.jpg
    Redwing-004.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 162
:t: Yes Redwing. Well done. :t:

I always find that the white "brow " ( supersilium) really stands out and seems very pronounced when seeing Redwing in the field.

I have often observed Fieldfares and Redwings feeding together, on the ground. Fieldfares are bigger than Redwings, so where there is a mixed feeding flock, the size difference can be a helpful thing to look for, especially if seeing colour is sometimes harder for you. ( Fieldfares look much more grey coloured than Redwings.)

Good luck when you return, in getting another viewing of a Redwing.

Kind regards, Carol

Yeah, the eyebrow is even more conspicuous in most cases than the reddish pattern. Redwings are easy to find in my experience because of their characteristic flight call. Over here, it's very common (at least in late autumn) to hear their flight calls at night, even in cities.

I'm quite amazed by the idea of trawling through Fieldfares many times to find one Redwing - in the urban parks of both Leeds and Manchester, it's exactly the opposite!

I'm quite amazed by the idea of trawling through Fieldfares many times to find one Redwing - in the urban parks of both Leeds and Manchester, it's exactly the opposite!

When I lived in South Norfolk, England, I would often observe mixed flocks in the field behind my home. Typically these would have 60-80 Fieldfares and about 4 Redwings. It is interesting to hear how different things are with you further north ! :t::t:

Kind regards, Carol

It is interesting to hear how different things are with you further north !
I'd say in UK* it's more a matter of country versus town - Redwings are somewhat more tolerant of human presence, so more likely to be present in urban parks, while Fieldfares prefer open fields. All changes in cold snowy weather though, when both come pouring into urban areas looking for food.

* Also very different elsewhere, with urban-breeding Fieldfares common in e.g. parts of Scandinavia. But these birds I suspect stay there in winter, and don't migrate to Britain at all.

I'd say in UK* it's more a matter of country versus town - Redwings are somewhat more tolerant of human presence, so more likely to be present in urban parks, while Fieldfares prefer open fields. All changes in cold snowy weather though, when both come pouring into urban areas looking for food.

* Also very different elsewhere, with urban-breeding Fieldfares common in e.g. parts of Scandinavia. But these birds I suspect stay there in winter, and don't migrate to Britain at all.

Yes, I am sure that you are right Nutcracker. Always interesting to hear how thing differ in other places, thank you.

Kind regards, Carol

Thanks for all your replies and info :t:

I do see flocks of Fieldfare around Liverpool and the surrounding local areas, but I've only ever seen them in 'remote' farmer's fields and never in local parks, even though we have some large wonderful parks here - Sefton Park and Calderstones to name just 2 - but maybe that's because I'm relatively new to birding and I've either not noticed or wasn't 'able' to distinguish the bird from more common birds.

Now I'm getting more experienced 'in the field' (no pun intended) -and that's because I've got a lot of help and encouragement from everyone on here especially telling me just to get out there and look and learn, which I have been doing though not always with success ;) - I'm actually looking and therefore noticing more, listening to calls too and noting behaviour, and I'm starting to think that maybe I have seen Redwing before but not 'seen' them if you know what I mean.

I still like to take a 'record' shot of all the birds I see when I'm out and about and I know this is an anathema to some birders but it is a great help to beginners like me who can compare images once back home.

Anyhoo, you know what it's like, I'll most probably see Redwings everywhere I go now ha ha ;)

My pleasure :t:

Taking photographs, in the field, is helpful, I agree and like you I like to scrutinise them when I get back home

Good luck with getting more sightings of Redwings :t::t:

It's kind of the opposite in Germany, with Fieldfares even breeding in some urban parks.

Out of the window of my flat in Birmingham I often see small flocks of redwing, feeding on the Rowan trees, but have never seen a fieldfare.

In 20 years of living at my Nottingham address, 2 miles from the City, I've seen Redwings once (apart from regular, migratory flyovers) and only garden ticked Fieldfare last year during the 'Beast from the East' when they were turning up all over the place, looking for food.

In Russia, we have a Fieldfare that's nested in the same nest for the last two years, visible from our front room.

Go on then Nutty, what's the tree, you know you want to!

Attachments

• DSC_9111.jpg
    DSC_9111.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 42
Here in Alresford Hampshire, a smallish rural town, Redwings often arrive in large numbers- I've seen flocks of 30 or 40 individuals in the trees around town. Not seen many this year yet, but had one in the garden earlier in the month. Fieldfares rarely seem to venture into town, but can frequently be seen in the fields around, maybe 15 minutes walk from the town centre. Often seen in mixed flocks with Redwings, which are an altogether smaller and less "chunky" bird. Back in 2010 during a snowy cold snap, a small flock of Redwings descended on my garden on morning to eat wild privet berries; unfortunately, my neighbour's new fence means that particular bit of hedge no longer exits!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back