• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon V2 (1 Viewer)

The V1 price seems to have fallen again, I just got hold of one for £214!
Now waiting for a FT1, which is ridiculously overpriced and only maginally less than the actual camera...

That has to be the best value-for-money ever.
Neil

returned mine got a full refund ,sold the adaptor on e/bay for a slight loss ,just not happy with overall quality ,speed ,and quite a few other niggles ,would have been better off buying a ghilly suit to creep up on stuff

returned mine got a full refund ,sold the adaptor on e/bay for a slight loss ,just not happy with overall quality ,speed ,and quite a few other niggles ,would have been better off buying a ghilly suit to creep up on stuff

It would help others if you could be specific with your problems and post some examples of the images you weren't happy with.
Neil.

I'm still liking my recently purchased V1, though it does have its limitations. One seems to be that if I put it into "Electronic Hi" shutter (to get bursts of 10fps) I cannot select the exposure mode - the camera automatically defaults to "P". Am I missing something? This is OK most of the time, but I would like full manual control ideally.

Nikon should put this 2.7x cropped sensor into a DSLR body (or at least something with the same level of control as a DSLR) as it would be a massive seller to bird/wildlife/sports photographers.

That said, for the time being this is a great camera and is replacing my D90 on my 300mm f4 af-s pretty much all the time now.

a few sample images on my blog here and here

I'm still liking my recently purchased V1, though it does have its limitations. One seems to be that if I put it into "Electronic Hi" shutter (to get bursts of 10fps) I cannot select the exposure mode - the camera automatically defaults to "P". Am I missing something? This is OK most of the time, but I would like full manual control ideally.

You're not missing anything as far as I can see. If you select Electronic Mode , instead of Electronic Hi , you can select Aperture Priority and that should also be very fast at approx 10 fps. This is the mode I use when digiscoping with this camera.
Neil.

Thanks Neil,

Just checked my settings and found I had the shutter set to "single" rather than "continuous"!

Best wishes

Dave

I just bought a V2 from a mate with low mileage and took it out on Monday with the new 80-400/AFS VR G . First I updated the firmware though to enable AFC with the FT1 adapter. It works, although I forgot to set it for AFC in the menu for about an hour.
I'm very impressed with combo.
I was disappointed though that they seem to have dropped the Intervalometer for timelapse and it's a bit more difficult to set the Video mode in the dark or by feel.
Neil

Attachments

• little egret flight V2 80-400zm DSC_5848_edited-1.jpg
    little egret flight V2 80-400zm DSC_5848_edited-1.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 157
  • cattle egret breed feed DB 80-400zm V2 DSC_6666_edited-2.jpg
    cattle egret breed feed DB 80-400zm V2 DSC_6666_edited-2.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 184
  • hills mudflats DB V2 80-400zm DSC_6730_edited-1.jpg
    hills mudflats DB V2 80-400zm DSC_6730_edited-1.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 107
  • crabs mudskipper 80-400zm 600mm_N8D5207_edited-1.jpg
    crabs mudskipper 80-400zm 600mm_N8D5207_edited-1.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 133
  • white wagtail 80-400zm_N8D5230_edited-1.jpg
    white wagtail 80-400zm_N8D5230_edited-1.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 148
I took the 80-400 lens down to Sydney last week. Had 4 days of rain in the wettest June for 6 years but managed to get a few shots with the V2.
I found the AF was a bit "off"a few times when it lost focus and I had to move onto another subject to get it back.
In the bush I needed the Silent Mode as the birds are easily startled.
Neil

Attachments

• red wattlebird V2 80-400mm DSC_7044_edited-2.jpg
    red wattlebird V2 80-400mm DSC_7044_edited-2.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 133
  • bs dove V2 80-400mm 750mm DSC_9065_edited-1.jpg
    bs dove V2 80-400mm 750mm DSC_9065_edited-1.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 135
  • superb fairy wren male V2 80-400mm DSC_7145_edited-2.jpg
    superb fairy wren male V2 80-400mm DSC_7145_edited-2.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 144
Excellent as always, Neil. I particularly like the shot of the Fairy Wren, it reminds me of my visit to Oz a few years ago.

Mike

Picked up a used V2 last week so took it out for a test drive today with the FT-1. Seemed to work very well. A couple of questions.
Can you turn off the display so you don't need to keep a thumb over the eye sensor ? Can you turn off silent photography but turn of the bleep ? Will post a couple of images when I pricess them but seem quite pleased on its first field trip. Tried it with a 300/4 and a 600/4

Attached is a Kingfisher cropped by 50% shot at 400iso 1/1600 f4 on a 600/4, looks like it could be good when the light is good, need to try it out in dull conditions. Noise at 400iso was acceptable

Attachments

• kf-nikon-1-v2-1-web.jpg
    kf-nikon-1-v2-1-web.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back