• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The D7100 has landed (1 Viewer)

Well, maybe the time to retire my ancient D70 has finally arrived. I am particularly intrigued by the 1.3 crop mode and am looking forward to hearing what the reviewers have to say about it.

I've been waiting to upgrade my old D300 for a long time. I must say this D7100 might finally be the major DX upgrade I've been hoping for, with a few interesting surprises thrown in. It doesn't quite match up against the specs of the rumored upcoming Canon 7DMarkII, so maybe late this year Nikon will offer us an even better DX body. But I don't know if I can wait that long. I will wait to see the first detailed reviews of actual production D7100's, but my initial impression is that I will be very tempted to order a D7100 early, especially for the price. That's a hell of a lot of camera for $1200!

--Dave

Last edited:
Well, maybe the time to retire my ancient D70 has finally arrived. I am particularly intrigued by the 1.3 crop mode and am looking forward to hearing what the reviewers have to say about it.

So does this mean that if you use a 300mm lens you get the benefit of the normal DX crop (1.5x) plus an option to crop by a further 1.3x? So your 300mm lens = 585mm...?

Still significantly less reach than the 2.7x crop on the V1, though I appreciate it may be useful in situations where the V1 is weak (eg BIF).

Dave

Last edited:
so does this mean that if you use a 300mm lens you get the benefit of the normal DX crop (1.5x) plus an option to crop by a further 1.3x? Is for you 300mm lens = 585mm...?

That's how I read the specs, yes. But the devil is in the performance as always and that's why I'm anxious to hear what the reviewers have to say.

The 1.3x crop on DX translates to a 2x effective. A 300mm lens will have the same angle of view as a 600mm lens.

I wonder if the new 7100 still has the crippled frame buffer seen on the 7000?

The 1.3x crop on DX translates to a 2x effective. A 300mm lens will have the same angle of view as a 600mm lens.

Or almost (300 x 1.5 x 1.3 = 585). Unless, of course, one or both of the crop factors has been rounded down.

Does that built in crop factor of 1.3x also crop the Mp?

i.e. Will that 600mm (effective) from a 300mm lens be @24Mp, 18Mp (linear crop), or even 12Mp (area crop) ??

Chosun :gh:

Does that built in crop factor of 1.3x also crop the Mp?

i.e. Will that 600mm (effective) from a 300mm lens be @24Mp, 18Mp (linear crop), or even 12Mp (area crop) ??

18mp according to what I read in one of the documents (I can't remember which one) linked to in the OP. My mouth is definitely watering.

18mp according to what I read in one of the documents (I can't remember which one) linked to in the OP. My mouth is definitely watering.

Resolution is 15.4MP (4800x3200) in crop DX mode.

As for figuring the effective focal length of a lens in this mode, best to understand it like this.

A Nikon FX sensor is 36x24 aspect.
A DX sensor is 24x16.
This new crop DX is 18x12.

As you can see, the ratio between the FX and DX crop aspects is exactly 2x. Thus a 300mm lens will have the same angle of view as a 600mm.

Last edited:
Resolution is 15.4MP (4800x3200) in crop DX mode.

As for figuring the effective focal length of a lens in this mode, best to understand it like this.

A Nikon FX sensor is 36x24 aspect.
A DX sensor is 24x16.
This new crop DX is 18x12.

As you can see, the ratio between the FX and DX crop aspects is exactly 2x. Thus a 300mm lens will have the same angle of view as a 600mm.

15.4mp it is then (I must have misremembered). And thanks for clarifying the crop factors.

UK available end of March at £1100 pre order at Wex, which is the usual UK pricing i.e. US dollar price gives UK £ price

so the "additional" crop mode factor is 1.5 x 1.3 (in conventional 35mm terms), which equals 1.95 .......... or does it say somewhere in the spec sheet that it crops down to 18 x 12.

so with the Nikon TC x 1.4 we will be up to 2.8 times the 35mm focal length, with the loss of only one stop.
Has anyone spotted if you need "Mk ll" TCs with the new body or will the "older" Nikon TC-14E still be as effective.

Reading up on the info as I type

Last edited:
My order is in. D7000 has been good enough for me, besides the 39 autofocus points. With 51 points I will need no more.

Well done Nikon

Regards

And the centre point can AF at f/8, so a 300mm f4 + TC2.0xIII combo will look very interesting too, especially with the 1.3x additional crop factor thrown in.

It seems the JPEG Fine Large buffer is 33 frames and 73 frames in 1.3 crop DX mode. FPS also seems to be slightly throttled if you choose 14-bit processing. Unlike the AF modules in the latest FX cameras, only the single centerpoint is F8 compatible.

Last edited:

I wonder if the new 7100 still has the crippled frame buffer seen on the 7000?

Seems not, shooting in RAW you get 6 at 14bit and 7 at 12bit. If you use the 1.3x then that becomes 8 and 12 respectively.

Not sure why are people so much excited about the 1.3x crop mode. In fact it is not 1.3x crop. It is crop of the crop 1.3 * 1.5= 1.95x crop of the full-format.

There are no 1.95x lenses so there is no point of having it in the camera (unless you cosnsider 7 vs 6fps diffrence as significant). You can always do the crop in the postprocessing.

I would rather welcome equivalent of Canon's sRAW rather than crop.

Not sure why are people so much excited about the 1.3x crop mode. In fact it is not 1.3x crop. It is crop of the crop 1.3 * 1.5= 1.95x crop of the full-format.

There are no 1.95x lenses so there is no point of having it in the camera (unless you cosnsider 7 vs 6fps diffrence as significant). You can always do the crop in the postprocessing.

I would rather welcome equivalent of Canon's sRAW rather than crop.

no sure what you mean ...... please explain further

this is a bird forum and a lot take images of these small things ........ major cropping can be commonplace ........ as the centre of the image is usually where the bird is ........... getting as many MPs as possible on the image is good ......... plus the centre of my Nikon 300mm f4 is where my subject usually is

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back