• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Hawk Behavior (1 Viewer)

ravyrn

hpx0.jpg

This photo was taken this past Sunday afternoon. They were too high up for us to identify that afternoon, but we saw about 10 the next morning flying overhead, and they were red-tailed hawks. My question is, why are there 50+ hawks soaring around in a pack? I don't believe I've ever seen that before.

Hello Ravyrn, welcome to the forum. Large congregation of Red-Tailed for sure. They are known to often hunt in pairs, with a whoever grabs the fastest, gets the most, philosophy. Loose aggregations of mixed species hunting has been observed at times, including both black and turkey vultures also, in addition to various buteos. Of buteos, Harris hawks are well documented, collectively hunting. Migrations of Broad Winged hawks through and "up" (south) or "down" (north), in the Shenandoah valley is renowned.

Welcome to the forum.

Large numbers of hawk move through eastern Texas during migration. In Corpus Christi they can see tens of thousands of Broad-winged Hawks in a single day.

Here is a tally of what they have seen at the Corpus Christi Raptor Migration Project so far this fall.

Mike

jmepler, thanks for the share. Those are some pretty amazing stats! Do you know which method they use to identify and count the number of hawks. Those broad-winged hawk figures are just mindblowing!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back