• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

world list apps (1 Viewer)

Pitta Patter

At the moment I keep a county/uk/wp and world list of species seen. I use a simple excell spreadsheet with just basic information. Does anyone have any tips for a better system/apps? As my current way is time consuming and there must be an easier way. Thanks.

There are a few places online where you can store and maintain lists...

bubo.org, ebird.org, and bto birdtrack for examples.

BTO has a good smartphone app, so you can upload all your sightings as you see them.

One thing I forgot to mention, particularly with ebird, is that the data is cloud based, so safe from home PC crashes, and data losses. Plus you can download a dump of your ebird data in a spreadsheet format which safeguards it in the event of ebird going wrong.

I don't like eBird, do these apps work as standalones ?

BW Diary is an app so can be used completely independently of any other desktop software or browser based software. It's not designed for detailed analysis of life lists and the like - it's raison d'être is to be a fast efficient way of recording sightings in the field. But as bonus it outputs in a number of formats including e-Bird which I find gives me sufficient flexibility and the peace of mind that my data is being maintained by a major US university so is unlikely to get lost!

BW Diary is an app so can be used completely independently of any other desktop software or browser based software. It's not designed for detailed analysis of life lists and the like - it's raison d'être is to be a fast efficient way of recording sightings in the field. But as bonus it outputs in a number of formats including e-Bird which I find gives me sufficient flexibility and the peace of mind that my data is being maintained by a major US university so is unlikely to get lost!

And of course, you have bulk downloaded your data from ebird, back to your own environment ;)

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I have set up Bubo and Ebird accounts. This is going to save me no end of time in date entry. Much obliged to you all.

Have been a member of iGoTerra for 6.5 years now. In my opinion there is no better list server. I use IOC to list, my updates are already done days before the IOC even releases the update to the public. Is easy to upload your current spreadsheet to the site in whichever tax you prefer - Clements or IOC. More than just a simple bird listing site - you can twitch absolutely everything, Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians, Fungi, Fish, Dragonflies etc.
As a guide, I don't have the time to be fiddling about with my personal lists all the time. In 2014 for example I spent pretty much the entire year on the road racking up over 3000 year species in 22 different countries. I finished the year with something like 800+ in Colombia and another 700+ in Ecuador in less than 6 weeks - all updated with immediate effect. I can import my sighting using spread sheets, direct entry or by iPhone application which allows me to record int he field, without connectivity and upload when I next hit internet access.
Perhaps the fundamental advantage is that there is a team of listers that own and run the site, but the user drive content and functions. If you need or want a specific function - they can build and implement it for you.

I use Bird Journal. It is utterly brilliant, not only for birds but plants, butterflies, etc

https://www.birdjournal.com/

As Bob says it's great for birds as you can add photos etc too and even map sightings too for uk and world lists.

I find it absolutely superb for moth records as it is so much quicker than excel spreadsheets, this is almost certainly the same for any order of taxa.
Very reasonably priced as well as the makers being very contactable, which helps for advice or even suggestions.

As Bob says it's great for birds as you can add photos etc too and even map sightings too for uk and world lists.

I find it absolutely superb for moth records as it is so much quicker than excel spreadsheets, this is almost certainly the same for any order of taxa.
Very reasonably priced as well as the makers being very contactable, which helps for advice or even suggestions.

Ben makes a good point about the help you receive from the developers. They have helped me a couple of times, being a complete computer numpty. The support is second to none and it's very reassuring to know it's there when you need it.

+1 for Bird Journal. I used the iphone app on a recent trip to South Africa and the sync with the desktop software worked seamlessly.
Peter

Last edited:
BIrd Journal

Using any of the previously mentioned recoding stores [e.g. eBird] is fine. I have used them myself but since moving over to Bird Journal [Bluebird Technology] I have all the storage space I need PLUS the use of automatic month/year lists from any of many locations selected by me. The basic graphs are an added bonus.

What are the differences between the "free" and the "premium" versions of Bird Journal ? besides the $49.99 per year !. For instance, the "World Wide" feature seems to be available only in the paid version, is that correct ?

Do any of these sites give you a species list for each country so that you can tick off what you have seen nice and quickly (like ticking a box in an Excel spreadsheet), or do you have to go through a long process for each species you enter in each country?
I have never brought together all of my sightings to make a world list (probably between 2000 and 3000 species) and one of my concerns is that one day I will move country and lose my notebooks during shipping. During one foreign move I carried them all in my hand luggage, but there are far too many now and I want to get them in a more secure format before I move to China this summer.
I am quite happy to pay for one that is quick and easy to use, but if it is too time consuming I will never have time to get it done.
Thanks

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back