• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In Love with 10x42 SV (1 Viewer)

Jason Bugay Reyes

Malaysia
Hio all,

I have been using the 8x32 SV for few years now and last year got the 10x42 SV but it really didnt have the love like how I enjoyed the 8x32 so much due to the shaking problem each time I put on any 10x binoculars.

But recently, I decided to give it another try on my previous tour. It went smooth and I didn't experience any shake whatsoever that would affect the view through this excellent bino!

:smoke:

Hio all,

I have been using the 8x32 SV for few years now and last year got the 10x42 SV but it really didnt have the love like how I enjoyed the 8x32 so much due to the shaking problem each time I put on any 10x binoculars.

But recently, I decided to give it another try on my previous tour. It went smooth and I didn't experience any shake whatsoever that would affect the view through this excellent bino!

:smoke:

horukuru,

The name for this type of perversion is "objectophilia." But you may take some comfort knowing that you are not alone:

10-people-who-are-in-love-with-inanimate-objects

If you drink lots of Kopi Itam (black coffee) before you go on a tour, your hands will shake so much, you will fall out of love with the 10x42 SV EL. If you switch to decaf, a love affair with a 10x42 SF awaits you. ;)

But seriously folks, I wonder what happened in a year's time that you now are able to hold the 10x42 steady? Did you drink coffee before? Something must have changed - same hands, same bin. If anything, your hands should have gotten shakier over a year since the older you get the shakier you become. Perhaps you drank from the Fountain of Youth on Sabah or maybe you've been eating Sabah Snake Grass?

Whatever you're doing, keep doing it, it's a shame to let expensive glass sit unused.

brockboogaloo

Last edited:
horukuru,

The name for this type of perversion is "objectophilia." But you may take some comfort knowing that you are not alone:

10-people-who-are-in-love-with-inanimate-objects

If you drink lots of Kopi Itam (black coffee) before you go on a tour, your hands will shake so much, you will fall out of love with the 10x42 SV EL. If you switch to decaf, a love affair with a 10x42 SF awaits you. ;)

But seriously folks, I wonder what happened in a year's time that you now are able to hold the 10x42 steady? Did you drink coffee before? Something must have changed - same hands, same bin. If anything, your hands should have gotten shakier over a year since the older you get the shakier you become. Perhaps you drank from the Fountain of Youth on Sabah or maybe you've been eating Sabah Snake Grass?

Whatever you're doing, keep doing it, it's a shame to let expensive glass sit unused.

brockboogaloo

Hahaha brock I still drinks coffee daily. I think the ergonomic on SV really helped me in getting it balance on my hand for prolong used.

The view is sharp plus excellent contrast and I noticed the FOV is smaller than the 8x32 SV. But it make a lot of differences seeing subject in details when spotting scope is not possible (such as cruising on the boat).

Enjoy your 10x42, they are great binocs. For me they (well mine are 8.5x42) have better size/weight for a steady hold then 8x32 (and I am not a big guy). I was really keen to get 8x32 as having same the same quality in a smaller package when hiking is most tempting. But no - 8x32 just didn't feel right (and plus a couple of other issues).

Enjoy your 10x42, they are great binocs. For me they (well mine are 8.5x42) have better size/weight for a steady hold then 8x32 (and I am not a big guy). I was really keen to get 8x32 as having same the same quality in a smaller package when hiking is most tempting. But no - 8x32 just didn't feel right (and plus a couple of other issues).

I use the 8x32 a lot for hiking, and I can't find any negatives except a bit of glare when the sun is low on the horizon.

HN

King Parrot,

Have you tried the original 8x32 EL model? It's larger (fatter barrels) than the SV EL. I have large hands, and I found they fit like a glove. I haven't tried the SV EL version, but in a photo that showed the two side by side, the SV EL's barrels look noticeably slimmer, maybe not enough "real estate" for my hands (or yours).

King Creole

Then the Sultans,
Yeah, the Sultans, they play creole, creole

Hi Brock, no I haven't tried the original Els. The current EL8x32 are I find considerably slimmer than 8.5x42 I got. I am sure I could be happy with the new EL8x32, but when tried right next to 8.5x42 (and I spent more than 45 min. in the store comparing them...I think the sales rep got sick of me), the choice was easy.

I am also planing to buy SV 10*42 mm but little confused if I should choose 10*50 SV. Will there be significant difference in brightness between these two ( both during day and night). Also if someone can help me to understand how significant is the difference in brightness ( assuming all remain comparably same) between ZEiss Victory HT 10*42 and Swarovski 10* 42 EL SV. I feel more inclined towards Swarovski.

how significant is the difference in brightness ( assuming all remain comparably same) between ZEiss Victory HT 10*42 and Swarovski 10* 42 EL SV. I feel more inclined towards Swarovski.

These should both be excellent bins, and both very bright. The difference in brightness is probably less significant than other differences, like flat field, ergonomics, focus mechanism, color, personal inclination and price.

Hi Brock, no I haven't tried the original Els. The current EL8x32 are I find considerably slimmer than 8.5x42 I got. I am sure I could be happy with the new EL8x32, but when tried right next to 8.5x42 (and I spent more than 45 min. in the store comparing them...I think the sales rep got sick of me), the choice was easy.

These should both be excellent bins, and both very bright. The difference in brightness is probably less significant than other differences, like flat field, ergonomics, focus mechanism, color, personal inclination and price.

I know that Swarovski EL has edge to edge clarity. It will be good to know what are the key differences in terms of image quality between SWarovski EL VS ZEiss HT and how significant are those differences.

Sanjay

I know that Swarovski EL has edge to edge clarity. It will be good to know what are the key differences in terms of image quality between SWarovski EL VS ZEiss HT and how significant are those differences.

Sanjay

Find a place to compare these binoculars side-by-side. It's the only way to go! :t:

And why not throw the Nikon 10x42 EDG II into the mix?

[URL="http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/blog/nikon-binoculars-now-available-in-india]nikon-binoculars-now-available-in-india[/URL]

Brock

Sanjay

That question can only be answered by your looking through both, and using your own vision and image-processing circuits to compare them.

After a couple or three weeks with my 10x42 SV's, it is without a doubt the finest view through a binocular I've ever seen. Fantastic package, especially when mounted on a tripod.

After a couple or three weeks with my 10x42 SV's, it is without a doubt the finest view through a binocular I've ever seen. Fantastic package, especially when mounted on a tripod.

Try the 10x50!

I have the 10x50 & 8x32, in use every day. The 10x is phenomenal!

That's putting it nicely.

Bryce...

Try the 10x50!

I have the 10x50 & 8x32, in use every day. The 10x is phenomenal!

That's putting it nicely.

Bryce...

I can second that Bryce, the 10x50 quickly became my favorite of the 2 after I bought it.
Phenomenal bin indeed. Easy to hold still as well, even my wife experienced less shake than with the little SV, remarkable, because it is 10x mag. vs 8x for the little one. It feels lighter than it is.

Gijs

I can second that Bryce, the 10x50 quickly became my favorite of the 2 after I bought it.
Phenomenal bin indeed. Easy to hold still as well, even my wife experienced less shake than with the little SV, remarkable, because it is 10x mag. vs 8x for the little one. It feels lighter than it is.

Gijs

So if I understand correctly, you are recommending 10*50 SV as against 10*42 SV. May I know what will be the key advantage of it. I have tried 12*50 SV and I found it heavy after 20 mints of use. Weight of 10* 50 is same as 12* 50

Sanjay

So if I understand correctly, you are recommending 10*50 SV as against 10*42 SV. May I know what will be the key advantage of it. I have tried 12*50 SV and I found it heavy after 20 mints of use. Weight of 10* 50 is same as 12* 50

Given similar optical quality, *any* large binocular will be better than a small one, up to an exit pupil of 7-8mm. It's as simple as that. Take Swaros: The 10x32 is clearly better than the 10x25. And the 10x42 is better than the 10x32. In similar vein, the 10x50 is better than the 10x42. And if Swarovski made a 10x60, it would also be better than the 10x50.

What you've got to decide is what weight you are prepared to carry around. My own maximum weight for an all-pupose binocular is about 800 gr., but I aim at a weight of no more than 700 gr. (without the strap and so on).

Hermann

Given similar optical quality, *any* large binocular will be better than a small one, up to an exit pupil of 7-8mm. It's as simple as that. Take Swaros: The 10x32 is clearly better than the 10x25. And the 10x42 is better than the 10x32. In similar vein, the 10x50 is better than the 10x42. And if Swarovski made a 10x60, it would also be better than the 10x50.

What you've got to decide is what weight you are prepared to carry around. My own maximum weight for an all-pupose binocular is about 800 gr., but I aim at a weight of no more than 700 gr. (without the strap and so on).

Hermann

Thanks Hermann

I think the only difference will be felt in low light condition as that is the time when larger exit pupil have role to play. During the day light condition all of them should be comparable. I agree anything beyond 800 gr is difficult to hold steadily.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back