• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead guillemots (1 Viewer)

kas

I saw 1 dead guillemot on Sunday night at our local beach. I was asked by 3 people over the last week ,"is there anywhere to take a ill (black and white) seabird. I am presuming these have been guillemots too

Then Horror today approx 15 dead guillemots and 1 dying one, on the beach. It was the same story on the town beach (1mile away) I am not sure on exact numbers, but between 20-30dead and a few barely alive. It was quite a horrible night last night, but we can expect much worse over the winter. S

Last year approx 170 were counted in one day washed up on Dunnet beach which is 5 miles away after a storm.

Is anybody else seeing this where they live?

I haven't seen any dead ones down our way but on the coast at Hartlepool this morning but I did come across a Guillemot that was very lethargic and didn't loook too well.

as I posted on another thread. 2 guillemots came up loch long and died within a couple of hours of each other. plus another 1 at helensbourgh. Sad.

billy said:
as I posted on another thread. 2 guillemots came up loch long and died within a couple of hours of each other. plus another 1 at helensbourgh. Sad.

It is very sad indeed.
The local ranger has passed the details to RSPB. She thinks they may be juvs. We still have alot of them hanging about the harbour. The breeding numbers have dropped dramitically here over the last 5 years, as nearly everywhere else. So that makes it even sadder.

The birds are still there today, I would love to pick them up, but I am sure most will agree they will go to good use as food for something else. Its easy to see the skuas have gone, they would have devoured them within hours.

on another thread i took an oiled guilli home and the rspca came for it and said they knew someone locally who would try to help it

"is there anywhere to take a ill (black and white) seabird.

Hi KAS,

For sick, injured or oiled birds, of any kind, in Scotland, contact the Scottish SPCA on 08707377722. They have Animal Welfare Centres that can care for these birds. Their intention is to rehabilitate and return them to the wild once they are fit to survive. If they are to poor and destruction is the only thing to do, then they are able to do this humanely.
There is an SSPCA Inspector in the Thurso area.

They are seperate from the RSPCA.

Have not seen unusual numbers of dead or dying Gullimots in Argyll, - -yet.

Cheers
John.

oops I didn't see this thread before I posted my thread in the news section, but I saw 4 dead guillies on Sandside beach today, I doubt if it was the particles. Very disturbing...

Reay_Bonxie said:
oops I didn't see this thread before I posted my thread in the news section, but I saw 4 dead guillies on Sandside beach today, I doubt if it was the particles. Very disturbing...

well, you know what the experts thinks now... thanks to Jane's post o:D

Tim

I naively thought that milder winters & early springs would pay dividends for breeding seabirds.... appears local Kittiwake are nesting a fortnight later, as poor feeding is slowing females from coming into breeding condition.
SE

StevieEvans said:
I naively thought that milder winters & early springs would pay dividends for breeding seabirds.... appears local Kittiwake are nesting a fortnight later, as poor feeding is slowing females from coming into breeding condition.
SE

Things are becoming grim quite quickly.

It's the same here on the Faroes.
We had a lot of dead guillemots last year.
This year breeding was very low. In one kittiwake colony, with some 3000 nests, not a single chick fledged.
In almost all of the known tern colonies, they either did not come at all, or just sat there waiting for something to happen. But nothing did, so they just left again without even having laid any eggs.

I live on the California Central coast, and I'd say Guillemonts are the #1 most commonly dead washed up bird Ive seen. Its too bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back