• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Computer grinding to a halt (1 Viewer)

Peewit, all I have running at the moment is firfox and thunderbird. Sorry I just noticed I did have lightroom running at the same time.

hi Christine

I think it is a program running in the background which is not visible to you, as you stated here. Whatever it is it well hidden from your view at the moment.

They are the worst to work out. Is it the lightroom one, I wonder, I hope that it is now?

Regards
Kathy

Hi Christine,
Your virus checker is probably warning you because this is a .exe file ..
It is DEFINITELY SAFE to download and run it .. But if you feel uncomfortable with that, then use another utility which can clean up all the temp files ..

I personally find Smitfraudfix great, and safe o:D

Remeber .. run it under safe mode and choose option 2 ... you will see it clean up the temporary files and the registry ..

:t:

I have a horrible feeling its something to do with Trend PC-cillin I renewed my subscription last week, .Hopefully not £40 down the drain.

I have a horrible feeling its something to do with Trend PC-cillin I renewed my subscription last week, .Hopefully not £40 down the drain.

hi Christine

Going on yout thoughts here at the moment.

It could be that but personally, I could not see Trend PC-cillin affecting your PC, as it has done so. Did you send your subscripition in late?

Could it be that Trend PC-cillin have updated their information/application/Internet Security, and you still have an older version of it running at the moment?

Maybe they have been slow on the update with your subscription fee, and if they have updated their system it will affect your usage of your PC.

I would have thought that you would have a warning of the update though, but you never know. ;)

Are they easy to contact?

Just another thought here. ;)

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:

hi Christine

It looks although you have hit the nail on the head here

Trend PC-cillin want you to uninstall 2007 Internet security and reinstall backwards to the 2006 version. It does not sound right at all with a fault that big hmmmmm..

I do not know what to recommend here expect a more reliable Internet Security protection from another company, if I where you - IMHO at the moment.;)

I have the normal Internet security myself as in McAfee, and attached internet protection as per site I use. So I rely on that a lot. Touch wood no problems here as such.

You have paid £40.00 though, and you need to know what is happening now?

I have AVG 7.5 Virus protection myself, and it is free. It updates itself on a regular basis. So I believe it is as safe as virus protection can be without paying a lot of money

It depends what you feel about it. There might be someone on BF enduring the same thing you never know here, and others who will recommend what the best you can do to resolve the current situation. ;)

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy, I am just waiting for thier live chat to be opened so I can find out what can be done.

Hi Christine

No worries.

I hope that they sort the issue out with you, and your PC is back to normal as soon as possible. :t:

Regards
Kathy

Wow, now that was good I have just had a live chat with customer support, he told me to download the update for this problem and gave me the link. Hope it works.

Downloaded the update, just have to wait and see whether its cured, I think they have used the PcScnSrv form an older version its a lot smaller.

Well things are better I have had the occasional jerk but nothing like before. The support chat is brilliant, it saves hanging around on the phone waiting to get through. The chap I was chatting to was very helpful and gave me the link for the download which made things very easy. Thumbs up for Trend.

Well things are better I have had the occasional jerk but nothing like before. The support chat is brilliant, it saves hanging around on the phone waiting to get through. The chap I was chatting to was very helpful and gave me the link for the download which made things very easy. Thumbs up for Trend.

Hi Christine

All I can say is whoopee you have got to the root of your 'phanton' program. Well done to Trend. ;)

I am sure that your PC will settle, after you shut down and log in again. That should clear any more jittering, as it has been behaving before. :t:

Great news :t:

Regards
Kathy

Well, I am back again with the same problem. What I am finding is everything seems to be paging to disk and using little memory. Can I force it to use memory first before paging, I thought this was done automatically. If you have a look at the screen capture on post 56, you can see how much memory is left. When I try to use any of my photo software it still takes ages to process each photo.

Christine the pagefile is probably set at a minimum so it will always use 300Mb or what ever yours is set to any way, if you open up a few programs and files (esp RAW files in PS or Elements) you should see the pagefile increase and the memory decrease.
Steve

To check in XP go in to control panel (in classic click on system) in XP mode go to performance and maintenance then click on system then advanced and advanced again, bottom option is virtual memory, click here and see whats been set
Steve

Steve, I have done a screen capture of the settings I have just changed the memory usage to cache instead of programs to see if that makes any improvement. In lightroom it recommended that I have a page file 3 times bigger then main memory but then it went even slower, so returned it to the default setting.

I have put the memory usage back to programs the machine was hanging.

Last edited:
Switch off system restore, its a crap feature and of very little benefit it things go T*ts up!!
Its also a huge drain on resources. Even just switch it off for a while and see if it makes a difference. Google Tweak Xp for more performace tips.

Use a smaller anti virus scanner. Stay clear of Norton, its a memory HOG.
Use AVG or Nod32 in conjunction with SPYbot S&D There free also.

One thing that might have happened is that your PC has lost it clocking settings in the BIOS. Enter the BIOS and reset the default values, save and escape.

Hope this helps

G:t:

Hi Gareth, thanks for those tips. I have the bios set to high performance as I put in more memory and reformatted hoping for an improvement in speed but having very little joy. The boot up and everything else is zooming along its just when I go to use Lightroom, DPP it just goes to a crawl.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back