• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID from Al Ain, UAE, 14.10.2017. (1 Viewer)

peterarras

Hi all,
who can help me with this Gull identification please?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• DSC_4430a1.jpg
    DSC_4430a1.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_4442a.jpg
    DSC_4442a.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_4443a1.jpg
    DSC_4443a1.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_4444a.jpg
    DSC_4444a.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_4525a1.jpg
    DSC_4525a1.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 79
Hi Peter, recalcitrant thing but inclined towards fuscus in the second year of life. The neat all dark tertials with the pure white tips that are very wide are new to me and I have actually spent time perusing these birds in this region. Thought this photo would attract more comments because of this feature.

1cy not 2cy. and there the difficulties start. i don't think it is a fuscus fuscus, white tertial crescent is wide, bill is slightly stronger and shorter though it is a female type and thus harder to take as an ID feature, but especially inner webs of inner primaries too pale. also, the amount of replaced scaps is not so good for baltic gull. but it fits steppe gull (which should be anyway more common at al ain). heuglini could be very similar but usually is pristine juvenile at this time of year. so, mainly the amount of replaced scapulars strongly point towards larus fuscus barabensis, steppe gull. so does the mew gull like head jizz.

Thanks Lou,
Al Ain is an inland desert oasis, gulls used to hang around the big cat enclosures sometimes. This location is of course nearer to the barabenis populations on the UAE coast as you imply. Are you both reasonably sure this not a female type fuscus heuglini with delicate proportions? It seems so feather perfect, all over, for a ICY. Finally do you think the blocked in all dark single tertial is concealing the partially notched tertials underneath?

For As far as we know about these two taxa, I'd also choose barabensis, but it's the striking freshness of the tertials which is most disturbing (and the relatively fresh coverts). Also scap pattern with those darkish scaps recalls a "dark mantled" gull pattern. As for moult, Barabensis could even be more advanced in moult than this bird. So An advanced heuglini is impossible to rule out and might be a very good option for this bird

Alex Boldrini

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back