• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some question on birds on Sulawesi (1 Viewer)

rwoudstra

Dear readers,

Just returned from an almost two week spell in South Sulawesi. Birding was rather ok, given that is was not a birding trip per se.
The new field guide by Eaton, van Balen, Brickle & Rheindt is very nice, but for Sulawesi I found the maps confusing for Tana Toraja (Toraja-land). Adminstratively this is part of the province of South Sulawesi. Biologically I wonder if it should be considered South Sulawesi or that it is southern Central Sulawesi?
Some remarks on my sightings:
- I saw Black-ringed White-eye three times during a trekking west of Rantepao, Tana Toraja. One of these observations was around 1500 masl, so higher than mentioned in the field guide (1380 masl max.). I did not expect this bird here, but this occurence indicates that Toraja-land should be considered to belong to the biological region of South Sulawesi?
- I saw Lompobattang (Sulawesi) Leaf Warblers around Malino. I also saw Leaf Warblers during the trek in Toraja-land. Views were to meager to obtain satisfactory identification myself (e.g. with faint crown stripe in sarasinorum). My question is: is this Lompobattang (sarasinorum) or Sulawesi Leaf Warbler (nesophilus)? In the field guide both subspecies are split, but this is not strongly suppored so far? (e.g. IOC)

Moreover I was shocked by the amount of swiftlet-farms in the lowlands. Does anyone know if the nests of the local species (Glossy, Sulawesi and Uniform) are also eaten? I did not see Edible (white)-nest Swiftlets around every "farm".

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back