• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Video: Pair of Grey Wagtails attacking Grey Squirrel (1 Viewer)

wotcha

On holiday in North Wales last week I was fortunate enough to capture this fearless pair of Grey Wagtails launching a series of assaults on a Grey Squirrel that was skulking too close to their nest in the garden wall opposite our caravan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE_byxHn4AY&feature=youtu.be.

Apparently it's not unknown for squirrels to take both eggs and fledglings from nests, so the Wagtails were right to be wary.

It became clear a couple of days after this incident that the Wagtails had abandoned their nest, but not before at least one of their fledglings had escaped unharmed, because I witnessed it being fed by one of its parents a bit further along the wall. I have no idea how many chicks they had because their nest was well hidden behind a screen of ivy. Once it became clear the nest had been abandoned a local gardener checked it out and confirmed it was completely empty.

The incident took place last week at Aberdunant Holiday Park in Snowdonia, North Wales where we were staying on vacation.

It got me wondering how unusual this type of behaviour is. There are several clips on YouTube of Grey Wagtails attacking images of themselves in car wing mirrors but I have yet to come across anything similar to this.

I don't know how common such behaviour is, but a very interesting video, thanks for posting the link. (Last year a Grey Wag spent about 30mins messing around on top of my neighbour's car but on that occasion didn't show special interest in the mirrors, which is odd. As you say, wagtails do like to attack their reflections in mirrors - I've seen Pied Wags do it).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back