• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dunlin with Green and Yellow tags La Palma (1 Viewer)

trw

For those unfamiliar with La Palma the Faro Saltpans are at the southern end of La Palma the westernmost Canary isle.
There was a first winter Dunlin with green and yellow tags, one on each leg.
It was way off the beaten track!
Anyone know where it came from?

For those unfamiliar with La Palma the Faro Saltpans are at the southern end of La Palma the westernmost Canary isle.
There was a first winter Dunlin with green and yellow tags, one on each leg.
It was way off the beaten track!
Anyone know where it came from?

The Saltpans are not really off the beaten track, you know, there's a bus to them!

Seriously, were the tags coloured rings or leg flags? On which leg was the green ring / flag, on which the yellow? I would guess that such information would be useful if anyone is able to investigate where the Dunlin is from.

So the Dunlin took the bus?
I am not a ring/flag expert.I suppose they looked more like flags.There was a little flapping bit blowing around off the legs.I can't remember which was on each leg.
I have done a La Palma report on the Vacation forum.I think you stayed at La Palma Princess.

Really good to see you took an interest. Basically with these combinations of colour rings you either need to note a lot of detail or get a decent photo. Essentially for individual ID, you need to be certain of the arrangement of
i) colour
[and ii) sometimes code written over this including colour of writing]
iii) ring or flag from top to bottom of
iv) each of the four visible leg sections (left tibia and tarsus, right tibia and tarsus).

E.g. "Right Above Green Yellow-flag Green, Left Above Blue Metal Lime"

The left means left leg, the order is top to bottom, "above" means "above knee" which just for fun is not really a knee, metal means scheme ring. You can also see from above you don't need to say 'ring' but definitely need to mention any flags. Fun times! As I say photos improve your day as you needn't note anything complex at the time.

Last edited:
I birdwatcher has just written to me-the Dunlin was ringed in Estonia origioanally and is now back there breeding!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back