• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More peeps, Barbados today (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello all,
I hope I have these right
1) semipalmated
2) semipalmated and least
3) White-rumped
4) Pectoral

At least for the last one but thanks if also for the others, can anything be said about age?

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• q sesa P1140384.jpg
    q sesa P1140384.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 61
  • q sesa w lesa P1140387.jpg
    q sesa w lesa P1140387.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 61
  • White-rumped Sandpiper P1140414.jpg
    White-rumped Sandpiper P1140414.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Pectoral Sandpiper P1140444.jpg
    Pectoral Sandpiper P1140444.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 54
I think in pics 1 & 2 they are all Least. The bills are decurved and pointy at the tip which is tough to use alone but is not very good for semipalmated. The reddish brown facial markings are also probably good for Least. I’d bet on it but wouldn’t be completely shocked if I was wrong.

On the second image, the left hand bird has black legs (based on about 5 different images showing that pair). Given that the Pectoral Sps all show yellowish legs, I don't think the conditions were particularly good for mud staining pale legs black.

I am less sure about the birds in image 1 with regards to leg color. I had seen them as black originally but they could easily be yellow after a second look, so I am OK with those being least.

Niels

Niels,

There is no other N. American shorebird that is the same size as Least and has such dark brown upperparts. Leg color can be incredibly hard to tell, even in the field. It looks to me like the left-hand bird's legs are in shade.

I believe they're both Least Sand.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back