• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small black snake? (1 Viewer)

Roger S.

Hi,
While out bird watching the other day, I came across a small black snake about a 14" long. Time I got my camera out it had hidden it self in some long grass.

Any ideas what it was please?

Roger

What sort of habitat was it in? I believe that adders are variable in colour and can be black (or at least very dark) so maybe one of these?

Allen said:
What sort of habitat was it in? I believe that adders are variable in colour and can be black (or at least very dark) so maybe one of these?

Grass Snakes can also be very dark but even the almost black ones still have the yellow-green partial collar behind the head.

Stuart

I was at pagham harbour, on the top of the beach where it joins the countryside .It was on the very edge.It must have come out of the grass and onto the hardened stones mixed with patches of grass.

also in the short time I was able to watch it, i was sure it did not have any spots and that it was black all over. I might be wrong, but the snake was trying to get to cover qick.

If it was all black and in a dry area then it was probably an adder, Viper berus. Grass snakes are seldom found far from fresh water.

Stuart

Just done a search for adder pictures and came across a black adder,pretty sure that was what I saw. Is it poisonous?

Thanks for your help

Hi Roger. A black snake in the UK is, as has been mentioned, most likely an adder. Any snake CAN be melanic but it is very rare in the other british species. Black adders, on the other hand, occur with reasonable frequency. Yes the adder IS venomous but bites are rare and very unlikely to cause any lasting problems. Only the very young or elderly are at serious risk and even then there hasn't been a death attributable to an adder bite since 1975. Still, it would most certainly be unpleasant and meical attention should always be sought. There's a bit more info about them HERE.

Regards, Lee.

Roger S. said:
Hi,
While out bird watching the other day, I came across a small black snake about a 14" long. Time I got my camera out it had hidden it self in some long grass.

Any ideas what it was please?

Roger

I have seen a snake in Sevenoaks, Kent, today, in our rear garden that was the same as you mention. It was completely black and its neck narrowed before a small head.

The Adder ( Viperus berus ), melanic ( black ), is similar, but this snake had no pronounced scales that the adder has. When I put a stick near it, it poised to strike, then moved away quickly going under a neighbours fence.

Apart from the melanic Adder, I have been unable to find another similar snake listed.

Any more ideas?

Last edited:
noirua said:
I have seen a snake in Sevenoaks, Kent, today, in our rear garden that was the same as you mention. It was completely black and its neck narrowed before a small head.

The Adder ( Viperus berus ), melanic ( black ), is similar, but this snake had no pronounced scales that the adder has. When I put a stick near it, it poised to strike, then moved away quickly going under a neighbours fence.

Apart from the melanic Adder, I have been unable to find another similar snake listed.

Any more ideas?

A slow worm?

noirua said:

Any more ideas?
Just to clear things up a bit there are only THREE species of snake in the British isles,and being as there are no Smooth Snakes in Kent then yours is either Adder or Grass snake.

I would suggest that a dark or melanistic Grass Snake would be the most likely snake to be found in a Kent garden (Unless there is suitable adder habitat nearby).

The following link gives information on the 12 people who died due to adder bites since 1900; There is also information on first aid treatment: http://www.geocities.com/braguk/aboutadder3.html

If you find any links that have photos of young melanic ( black ) adders, that would be helpful. The garden the snake went into has two small children living there who are at present on holiday.

Last edited:
noirua said:
The following link gives information on the 12 people who died due to adder bites since 1900; There is also information on first aid treatment: http://www.geocities.com/braguk/aboutadder3.html

If you find any links that have photos of young melanic ( black ) adders, that would be helpful. The garden the snake went into has two small children living there who are at present on holiday.
Yes but what would one do with the info,short of killing the whole colony,and can you be sure that your neighbour wont over react(as most folk do with snakes)

Most if not all adder colonys date from the end of the ice age,which means that if it is an adder, the colony has been there long before your houses and you and your neighbour have been living along side them since you moved in obviously without problems.

Last edited:
mothman said:
Just to clear things up a bit there are only THREE species of snake in the British isles,and being as there are no Smooth Snakes in Kent then yours is either Adder or Grass snake.

Just to be totally pedantic there are three native species of snake in the British Isles, plus a small colony of Aesculapian Snakes in North Wales (a long way from Sevenoaks I agree): of late there have been all sorts of things escaping or being released, including Corn Snakes, pythons spp., one report of an Anaconda..... the sort of thing that will be assisted to survive by global warming. Unless we get an Ice Age instead.

The RAUK website is a good read.

John

Thank you very much for your information on snakes. My knowledge was nil a few days ago and I've been forced into a rapid learning curve. Especially on the point raised by " mothman " that the snake may have been there for a longtime.

Three of my neighbours, who have no young children, are now aware, though I have hesitated further in case I cause panic.

The snake isn't a slow worm as I remember having a few of these as pets as a child. I still cannot get hold of photographs of young melanic adders or young rat snakes. I understand they differ a great deal from adults.

I have sent some information to a London Radio Station and if I hear anything I will post the information.

If an adder strikes, will it be able to penetrate quite strong material, such as, leather gloves or heavy cloth etc?

Last edited:
noirua said:
Thank you very much for your information on snakes. My knowledge was nil a few days ago and I've been forced into a rapid learning curve. Especially on the point raised by " mothman " that the snake may have been there for a longtime.

Three of my neighbours, who have no young children, are now aware, though I have hesitated further in case I cause panic.

The snake isn't a slow worm as I remember having a few of these as pets as a child. I still cannot get hold of photographs of young melanic adders or young rat snakes. I understand they differ a great deal from adults.

I have sent some information to a London Radio Station and if I hear anything I will post the information.

If an adder strikes, will it be able to penetrate quite strong material, such as, leather gloves or heavy cloth etc?

A friend of mine had one strike a training shoe and go clean through that, thankfully not reaching the foot within - best not to test it.

John

grass snakes can be very dark but have the collar effect Stuart mentioned (look at the attached pic). Can also be pretty chunky.

I see adders on a good % of my visits to Waxham, mostly typical in colour, haven't seen a really dark/black one yet...and over the weekend I almost trod on two.

Grass snakes I encounter much less frequently but saw a nice one yesterday which gave me a good hiss before rocketing off...

i must stop birding in my converse and get some chunky boots on....

Tim

Attachments

• grass_snake1.jpg
    grass_snake1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 672
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back