• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Speaking of Killdeer (1 Viewer)

SeniorCitizen

I was sent a pic of a Killdeer on nest on top of a commercial building that has a gravel roof. Being Killdeer prefer nesting in gravel it seems natural they would build a nest on a roof top. I've also observed it's natural for the brood to be taken away from the nest area as soon as possible after the last chick has hatched to search for insects through the prairie grass and weeds.

Now for the question. How do the hatch-lings get down to ground level, or do they before flight feathers have developed?

Attachments

• Killdeer nest on roof 2019.jpg
    Killdeer nest on roof 2019.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 36
Not sure how they'd climb over that parapet, but the newly hatched chicks are so lightweight they'd be able to jump down without any risk, even though they don't have any wings yet.

The advantage of the roof nest is the freedom from ground predators (dogs cats, etc.), the disadvantage the lack of food (if the chicks can't get over the parapet), and a slightly higher risk of avian predators (crows, etc.).

Agree, the problem is the parapet which I don’t see how the chicks could possibly surmount until fully flighted, leaving them, as you say, subject to starvation or death by avian predator. Crows in particular would be a problem. In places where they’re common, as they are in many North American towns and cities nowadays, mortality would likely approach 100%.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back