• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (6 Viewers)

Lovely late autumn day today. 20 goldeneye (8 briefly in the harbour and 12 south) were more than I've ever seen here. Also a lapwing on the golfcourse, a woodcock at the battery, and plenty of blackbirds in. Unfortunately I didn't make it round to twitch the fridge - but these things tend to be long stayers.

Listing

Absolutely. It looks to me like a wild fridge, which are becoming increasingly rare today. There's a lot of inbreeding with domestic fridges and feeding is only going to make that more likely to happen.

I'm sorry but there's no way you can count the fridge, it's bound to have been ship-assisted ;)

Richard (2013 garden tick today, Citril Finch)

Interesting to hear about the Blackcaps - I didn't really look for migrants today. I also had a Snow Bunting flying over Greyhope Bay and over towards Aberdeen beach. The best bird was a smart Great Northern Diver around the harbour mouth. Other stuff included 11 Red-throated Divers, two Red-breasted Mergansers, a Reed Bunting, six Common Scoter and five Common Snipe. Some action on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Smashing! I didn't see the Fridge today. It's perhaps getting a bit late for them now though.

Is this a record year for birds in the Torry recording area? Sorry Teamscotch, that excludes your corner of Torry for consistencies sake...

GND today puts me on 147 spp for this year, and a quick look through 'Birds Fae Torry' earlier shows that Andrew has seen 8 species that I haven't. Also recorded here this year have been both redstarts, black tern, icterine warbler, and...ahem....black-headed bunting. Including the bunting (and I guess there's no real reason not to) that's a total of 160 spp. It's certainly been a record year for me...

Is this a record year for birds in the Torry recording area? Sorry Teamscotch, that excludes your corner of Torry for consistencies sake...

GND today puts me on 147 spp for this year, and a quick look through 'Birds Fae Torry' earlier shows that Andrew has seen 8 species that I haven't. Also recorded here this year have been both redstarts, black tern, icterine warbler, and...ahem....black-headed bunting. Including the bunting (and I guess there's no real reason not to) that's a total of 160 spp. It's certainly been a record year for me...

It's not been a record year for me! But it does seem to have been quite good all round, despite a slightly disappointing autumn after a good start. I guess this in part reflects more regular watching.

I've not really been posting much on here lately because I've been seeing so little. Today wasn't much better, but I thought it might be an idea to 'touch base'. The most notable bird was a Bar-tailed Godwit, in with the Oystercatchers and Curlew around St Fittick's. Also in that area were a couple of Redwings and a good mixed flock of Meadow and Rock Pipits. These have been around for a few weeks and may repay regular checking. Otherwise, two Red-breasted Mergansers were in Nigg Bay and there were also two Common Scoters and six Red-throated Divers.

The burn at St Fittick's did at least produce a patch tick, with what appeared to be a full adult wheelchair (see picture). Note the association with a shopping trolley, to the rear.

Attachments

• Wheelchair_St Fitticks_071213a.jpg
    Wheelchair_St Fitticks_071213a.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 83
A festive velvet scoter along with festive eiders at the end of the biggest festive breakwater this morning. Merry Christmas all!

Did the breakwater have decorations on it Mark? ;)

Happy Christmas to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back