• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Allbinos.com review - New Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Quote: Holger Merlitz,
The confusion arises from the contradictory claims of the manufacturers. While the objective visual angle can be converted exactly into the visual field, a calculation of the subjective visual angle, requires knowledge of the distortion. Unfortunately, the manufacturers do not indicate the distortion of their optics. Alternatively, they could at least publish the actual subjective visual angle, but only a few do (Swarovski, and Zeiss only in his SF series, but not in the other models!). In all other cases, they use standard conversion formulas that either overestimate or underestimate the subjective visual angle.

Nikon consistently uses the ISO 14132-1: 2002 conversion formula

a = 2 atan [m tan (A / 2)] (1)

where 'a' is the subjective visual angle and 'A' is the objective angle of vision, and 'm' is the magnification. This formula is valid only in the absence of distortion (strictly speaking, in the absence of the radial distortion V), and this condition is almost never fulfilled in practice. In the presence of a radial distortion, the above formula must be extended to

a = 2 atan [m (V + 1) tan (A / 2)]

where 'V' indicates the relative radial distortion at the field of view. If this equals zero, then you immediately get the ISO formula again. Almost always V is a positive number, one speaks then of a pillow-shaped distortion. Stupid only that no manufacturer indicates the value of V. A special case is of interest, namely the so-called angle condition in which

tan (mA / 2)
V = ------------ - 1 (angle condition)
m tan (A / 2)

applies. This leads to the well-known simple conversion formula

a = m A (2) (angle condition)

It can be shown that this special case, if satisfied for each pixel, leaves the angular distances of all pixels unchanged when panning across the entire field of view. In astronomy, this means, for example, that an open star cluster is represented in the center of the image as well as at the edge of the field of view (when the eye follows the position of the cluster in the direction of the edge of the field of view). In the English-speaking world one speaks then of the absence of an angular magnification distortion (AMD) - for which there does not seem to be any expression in German (one could speak somewhat casually of 'angular distortion').
Historically, the manufacturers initially aimed for a distortion-free image (V = 0), since about 1950 then increasingly on the angular condition set (in which V> 0 and a significant pincushion distortion exists) to avoid the globe effect when pivoting the binoculars. In almost all binoculars currently on the market, the value of the distortion lies somewhere between V = 0 and the angle condition, so that neither (1) nor (2) reflects the correct ratios. We then have no choice but to measure the apparent visual angle ourselves."
https://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/read.php?9,443747,443808#msg-443808

Andreas

Hello David,

with pleasure!
Holger is simply an absolute optics expert, I've already benefited a lot from his knowledge!

Andreas

Andreas,

It's a shame Holger hasn't found an English publisher for his book yet, but I know a number here have had the pleasure of discussing some topics with him.

David

The field of view is going to be different with the eyecups extended and different for someone using eyeglasses. It is a relative measure to use as a guideline. Does anyone buy bino XXX with a published FOV of 370 feet over another bino that has a FOV of 365 feet?

It also seems silly to compare a 8x32 that sells for $2200 with a 8x30 that sells for less than $1100 (I paid $1046 for my Swarovski 8x30 CL B Companion bino). It assumes that cost is unimportant as we Americans are so rich. At least we don't have the 25% Trump tax hitting us for optics coming from Germany and Austria.

Allbino's complained about the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B but sill ranked it 4th over some highly touted 8x32's like the Nikon SE, Leica Ultravid HD and the Zeiss Conquest HD. That is pretty impressive for a smaller 30mm binocular. If Allbino's tested the Swarovski SV 8x32 it would be interesting to see if it could could edge(play on words) the Nikon EDG 8x32 out of first place. The EDG would beat the SV on CA and internal reflections or glare and the SV would dominate in astigmatism, coma, and darkness at the edge of the field. Things Allbino's don't test are important also. The EDG has by far the smoothest focuser and the SV has the best accessories like objective covers, rainguard, strap and case. What I don't understand is why Nikon went through the trouble to put a little bump to hold their objective covers on and THEN they made them too small to fit tightly in the opening so they keep popping out and they have NEVER fixed them. You can't even replace them with a different objective cover because of the darn bump! The SV's edges are slightly sharper and the field is slightly flatter than the EDG but this can create rolling ball caused by AMD distortion for some people. If you are bothered by RB the EDG is a better binocular for you than the SV. It is less likely to show RB. The SV has a slightly bigger FOV than the EDG also but the EDG has a very large FOV except in the 7x42 which is kind of small for a 7x42. Also, Swarovski has by far the best customer service and the best warranty and will bend over backwards to satisfy you. Nikon is a distant 2nd in my experience. I have the SV 8x32, SV 8.5x42, SV 10x32, Swarovski 8x25 CL-P, Ultravid 8x20 BCR, Nikon 7x15 reverse porro and the Nikon EDG 10x32. The SV and EDG are both excellent in the 10x32 format and each has it's strong points and weak points. I like them both. It is weird that Nikon can manufacture such great optics as in the EDG binocular but then conversely be so lame when it comes to designing an objective cover. Maybe they need more mechanical engineers instead of optical engineers to design their accessories.

Hi Dennis,
My new EDG is a 7x42, not the 32 you are discussing here, but you might be interested that the semi-soft objective covers snap/pop into place with a snug fit and then have to be snapped/popped out again. I don't know if my example is newly made or old stock lying around in a warehouse for years (no. is 000581, so presumably not very new or not many were made) but perhaps this was one thing they updated. I know every comment I have read mentions the looseness but unless they get loose with age my experience has got off to a good start.

Added since first posting: I see you have had this with the 7x42 and others too, not just the 32s I first thought. Problem with my reading your post too fast!

All the best,
Tom

Last edited:
My 7x42 EDG objective covers fit pretty good. They had a double lip that you had to really push on hard but once on they stayed on. It was my 10x32 EDG that had loose objective covers. Maybe the loose objective covers are on just some of the EDG's. The reason I sold my 7x42 EDG mainly was because IMO I felt it had a small AFOV for a 7x. It didn't WOW me like my 10x32 SV but it does have a very relaxing, easy view being a 7x. If you get a good one they are a nice binocular. I bought two of mine from Japan and I think the Japanese sellers might be selling returns because both of them had play in the focusers. They looked like they had been opened.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back