• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BDII 6.5x32 XD first day (1 Viewer)

Thank you, Henry.

I will try this.

A question: when you write „sounds like your binocular is defective“, this would imply that

- it could be repaired
- things would be different when inspecting another sample

Right?

I have other binoculars which exhibit asymmetrical blur patterns, so I think this is not that unusual in low to mid price instruments.

Yes Right.

I wouldn't be surprised if this defect is more common in inexpensive binoculars, particularly when it results from the use of a large amount of eyepiece or objective lens eccentricity to achieve proper collimation, but I've also seen it in alphas.

Henry

Thank you galazie1 for the really interesting review. I think a lot of folks will now be looking to see if the sweet spots in their binoculars are concentric with the field stop! I'm grateful for the observations of those more demanding (and sharp-eyed) than me, but at the same time am grateful I don't have the same level of discernment.

BTW, where did Denco's post earlier in the thread go? I was going to say that instead of galazie's binoculars being defective as he suggested it must be, the OP could simply be a more observant reviewer o:D

Galazie, can you elaborate on the focuser? I just bought the 6.5x32 on the forums here and the focuser is crap compared to my 8x32 model. It has a bit of play and a slight 'gritty' feel to it. The 8x32 has no slop and a nice buttery smooth action.

I had that trouble with an 8X42 BD II and both tubes did not focus simultaneously, lag in one), returned them for a replacement, new one is fine. There is going to be variability with any budget/economical glass, no surprise in < $500 priced binoculars.

Andy W.

I don't know...I have a couple pairs of $80 beaters that don't have this problem. Seems like a not-sloppy focusing mechanism isn't exactly a premium feature

I would send them back, they are new after all, and get one with better focus. This could be a more common problem since they are a new glass on the market. Some bugs to work out, there are going to be issues like my 8X42.

Andy W.

Galazie, can you elaborate on the focuser? I just bought the 6.5x32 on the forums here and the focuser is crap compared to my 8x32 model. It has a bit of play and a slight 'gritty' feel to it. The 8x32 has no slop and a nice buttery smooth action.

The focuser on my pair has a bit play. When you start rolling to each side there is a couple of mm of free rolling before real movement starts

No big issue to me. And no gritty feel

Thanks..the focuser slop really annoys me. Optically, however, I love these binoculars. The sweet spot is ample and looks centered to me. The huge FOV and good depth of field you get with the 6.5x makes them a pleasure to look through. They are also very sharp and CA is almost non-existent. Aside from the focuser, I like them better than the 8x32 version (which I already liked quite a bit). Edit- I should add that both the 6.5x and 8x show quite a bit of glare. I think I notice it more in the Kowas than I did in my m7s. In a side by side comparison the m7 shows more glare, but during actual field use I am seeing it more frequently in the Kowas.

Last edited:
I think it is worth an update. I finally managed to sell the Kowa to a new binoculars enthusiast. To my astonishment, this was his comment upon receiving the Kowa:

"better than the Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD Plus"

I think it is worth an update. I finally managed to sell the Kowa to a new binoculars enthusiast. To my astonishment, this was his comment upon receiving the Kowa:

"better than the Leica Ultravid 8x32 HD Plus"
Opinions here have no limit, we all see things differently. No matter how much we pay or comment about our brand being the best.

I picked up a pair of these for $350. I use them at night for stargazing. I find them quite good. Wonderful fov for cruising the Milky Way. Not an alpha, but still good.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back