• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best tool for analyzing AudioMoth recordings (1 Viewer)

jebeckjr

Hi everyone,

In the April 2020 issue of the ABA Birding Magazine, there is an excellent article on research being done using autonomous audio recording devices, like the AudioMoth. I was so excited at the potential of learning the different birds in my home area through recordings, that I went out an purchased the AudioMoth. I neglected to think about how to analyze the audio files one I had them. In searching Google, it looks like Cornell's "BirdNet" demo provided the ability to upload a file of birdsongs, and use the system they created to analyze and map those recordings to bird species in their data set. This is exactly what I'm looking for, but it seems like BirdNet is down for maintenance with no anticipated start up date.

My question is: what other tool or website exists, like BirdNet, that would allow for uploading of audio files and mapping them to bird species? I am willing to subscribe to a site for this ability, I just can't seem to find any that do this. It seems there are a few iphone apps that do it, but I want to use the recordings I capture from the AudioMoth. Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Thank you,

John

Do you mean somewhere that tries to automatically identify the species for you? I'm only aware of Birdnet and that is extremely iffy for many, many species. Most people use software like Audacity to look through their recordings and make audio clips and sonograms of calls, and then try to cross reference them with likely species using the wonderful Xeno Canto database.
Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back