• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chickadee help (1 Viewer)

LisaM

Hi everyone,
I'm new to birding and need some help/advice. Chickadees moved into a birdhouse in my yard and had a nest of babies--all seemed to be going well but I got scared when I saw nearby sparrows starting hang out above their birdhouse and when I saw one come out of the hole I installed some hanging fishing line with nuts tied to the end (hung it from my roof about 6" in front of the birdhouse.) Shortly thereafter the chickadees quit coming to the house..I don't know if it was because of the fishing line or because of the sparrows, but the poor babies ended up dying and I feel heartsick.
Any advice on how to keep other birds out of the chickadee houses? This house has a 1 1/4" hole which I see now is too big. Should I do 1" or 1 1/8" hole? It almost seems like a sparrow could still get in 1 1/8".
Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately this happens quite a bit with House Sparrows around. I would leave the next box hole alone though. Others may have some different ideas for you.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Please join in wherever you like ;)

Very unfortunate, House Sparrows are a huge problem here. A 1-1/8" hole should keep sparrows out. We restricted our box's hole from 1.5", and sparrows are unable to get through now.

House Sparrows are an enormous problem here in the U.S. mid-Atlantic. They are devastating to Eastern Bluebirds. Many birders are actively trying to attract Blue Birds to nest in houses they have put out, and the House Sparrow kills most of them - parents and chicks, destroys eggs, and takes over the house. But they are usually not a threat to Chickadees.

It occurred to me that your bird house might not be well-suited for Chickadees. The hole might be too big. It should be 1 1/8 inch diameter. House Sparrows cannot fit through a hole that size. If it's larger, you may want to think about replacing it.

(Note though, you'll also attract Wrens. I have a house in my yard that has attracted both. Not a problem for me as I love them both, in fact the Wrens are just about my favorite bird.)

It doesn't take much to attract wrens. They've nested in the railings of the bridges in our local park (made out of open ended pipe). This year there are three nests in only two bridges.

It doesn't take much to attract wrens. They've nested in the railings of the bridges in our local park (made out of open ended pipe). This year there are three nests in only two bridges.

To clarify, I was speaking of House Wrens. I think you're talking about Carolina Wrens. Their behaviors are quite different.

Chickadee help--thank you

thanks for the advice everyone--I was so happy to see Chickadees return to the back yard today. I am going to take down the birdhouses I currently have up and replace them with new houses with 1 1/8" holes. I'm also going to build some roosting boxes to put up this winter.

One way to bring chickadees into your yard is by sheltering them. These birds like to stay and live in bushy evergreen shrubs that can protect them, and they can camouflage too. You may also plant or buy a pre-grown conifer tree, which they like to be their home. Then, provide roosting boxes in the conifer tree. It will protect them during colder months and will make them warm. Also, they are attracted to dense areas of shrubs.

One way to bring chickadees into your yard is by sheltering them. These birds like to stay and live in bushy evergreen shrubs that can protect them, and they can camouflage too. You may also plant or buy a pre-grown conifer tree, which they like to be their home. Then, provide roosting boxes in the conifer tree. It will protect them during colder months and will make them warm. Also, they are attracted to dense areas of shrubs.
Chickadees like to visit bird baths, in which they can drink and take a bath. Be sure that you have birdbaths in your yard. Also, they are attracted to moving water or drippers with quite a noise and splashes of water. You may also provide heated bird baths during winter or colder months.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back