• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Italy (1 Viewer)

The second volume to the Birds of Italy by Pierandrea Brichetti and Giancarlo Fracasso is out now. I found the first volume to be really excellent. Considering that this is the most comprehensive book series published on the Italian avifauna in english for a very long time aim surprised that these books don't raise more interest.

https://www.nhbs.com/the-birds-of-italy-volume-2-pteroclidae-locustellidae-book?bkfno=250684

Probably because Italy isn't a major, birding destination Steve and the book isn't cheap either.

The book should be available at a much cheaper price directly from the publisher: http://www.edizionibelvedere.it/novita/the-birds-of-italy-2-english

I say 'should' because the order procedure seems to be quite clunky. After completing the order form, you are supposed to get an email with the amount due and a paypal link, but I have not received it yet. Also, make sure you click on "accept cookies" otherwise you won't be able to send the order form.

Volume 1 is very good, and I expect Vol. 2 will also be. One minor criticism is that many dubious or obviously wrong published records are accepted: a couple of examples from Vol 1 include a spring record of 6 Upland Sandpipers together, and sight reports of Rough-legged Buzzards from late Aug/Sept that I am sure are all juvenile Honey Buzzards. Part of the problem is that for any given species, the Italian RC only reviews the first 10 post-1950 records (it used to be the first five), and that there is some resistance within the committee to re-visit older records, so that purging mistakes from the literature is a process that takes time.

Anyway, Italy deserves a lot more attention from foreign birders, there may not be any endemics (unless you split Sicilian Rock Partridge) but the birding is excellent!

The reply from them arrived today and I just paid via PayPal, the price was actually 34 euros instead of 42 and shipping is free, so an excellent deal! I assume that the free shipping is only for Italy, though, but even with shipping costs it should still come out substantially cheaper that NHBS (this is not meant as a criticism of the latter, I order from them all the time!)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back