• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10X Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

jrhudgins

Hello,

I wish to add a 10X binocular to my optics selection, and would like to solicit the input of the Forum.

First, objective size: 42 vs. 50mm?

Second, specific advice, eg. Trinovid, Ultravid, Swaro SLC.

Any and all input welcomed.

jr

(Currently use an 8.5x42EL and 8X30SLC)

jrhudgins said:
Currently use an 8.5x42EL

The 10x42 EL will feel very natural to you, then. Get them, and come back and tell us how happy you are.
Beware, some of the older EL have a slow focus, the new ones have faster focus.

Get the Zeiss Fl 1042 FL.

jrhudgins said:
Hello,

I wish to add a 10X binocular to my optics selection, and would like to solicit the input of the Forum.

First, objective size: 42 vs. 50mm?

Second, specific advice, eg. Trinovid, Ultravid, Swaro SLC.

jr

No question here. Get the Zeiss FL 10x42 and you will never regret it. Best view and overall package. Take my word for it.

Dennis

OK, I know that this has the potential to start something, but I must ask: What became of the early concerns re: Zeiss build quality? I reviewed old posts about fingerprints on prisms, the focus wheel easily popping out to the diopter position (which was present on the only pair I tried one year ago, the 8x42s), etc., but haven't seen anything about these or other issues for a while.

jr

jrhudgins said:
OK, I know that this has the potential to start something, but I must ask: What became of the early concerns re: Zeiss build quality? I reviewed old posts about fingerprints on prisms, the focus wheel easily popping out to the diopter position (which was present on the only pair I tried one year ago, the 8x42s), etc., but haven't seen anything about these or other issues for a while.

jr

I still think Zeiss have some of the best optics. I had trouble with my focus wheel popping out so I sold them. I think it was an isolated incident though and I would still recommend them as a great total package. Nice lens covers with attachments, nice case, nice ergonomics on the binocular and super sharp optics in the sweetspot. (Sharper than Swarovski by a long shot!). I got no blackouts with them either. I guess I did have trouble with a demonstrator model and the focus wheel popping out(you should have seen the salesmans face when that happened!) but what the heck why worry about it if you have the Zeiss Warranty,right. Just send the suckers back to Germany and use your Nikons in the meantime. Nikons are just like Japanese built automobiles. You never have any trouble with them. Zeiss are like Mercedes or BMW's. You have trouble with them all the time. Get my jist.

Dennis

Last edited:
I just got a pair of Swaro 10x42 SLC. Made in Austria. These are my first pair of high end bins. I can't put them down. I see so much more when I scan an area then I have ever seen. My point is if one can spend the money do not skimp on your bins there is no substitute for the quality. and I am not a high end snob just a working man.

Last edited:
johnruss said:
My point is if one can spend the money do not skimp on your bins there is no substitute for the quality. and I am not a high end snob just a working man.

Hey, i have to sell four cows to get one of those binoculars. I know what you mean.

jrhudgins said:

jr

I read all that AFTER I'd bought my 10 x 42 FLs as I hadn't found this forum before. I got paranoid and tested them every which way, and examined them, asked for second, third and fourth opinions ... and then finally realised what my instinct had told me when I first tried them out: they're abosolutely superb, and perfect for my eyes and preferences. Looking through them excites me (ooer, missus!), it's a buzz, and that'll do me fine. I'm very happy with the choice, which was made after a all afternoon/evening field comparison with SLCs, Ultravids, adn everything else in the shop!

Each to his own ;) try 'em, and pick what feels best for you.

jrhudgins said:
Hello,

I wish to add a 10X binocular to my optics selection...First, objective size: 42 vs. 50mm?

jr

Dear Jr,

Will the 10x be your primary binocular or will it be carried along with one your current models?
I ask because I suffer from a shaky hand, which had put me off a 10x40/42. It seemed too much for views much above the horizon and even for sustained viewing even at or near the horizon. However, I felt the need for a little more reach from time to time. I decided that a 10x32 as a companion binocular, for a quick look might be a good move.

At first, I had doubts about the brightness of the image, but the Zeiss 10x32 FL turned out to be fine in daylight. It has, if I recall, a 6.4º FOV and a huge percentage of the field is in focus. The FL glass may add something useful to the color. Should you wear specs, the 10x32 FL has reasonable eye relief.

In any case, try before you buy, but if you are not a dawn and dusk observer, a modern 10x32 might suit you.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
lucznik said:
I thought Denco moved on to the Nikon LXL?

LXL which he is also now selling. Where i come from, we talk straight, shoot straight, and put our money where our word is. But you are a Wyomingite (how do call a person from Wyoming anyway?), so you know what i mean. Had that 10x42 FL been the greatest invention since hot water - as he implies, he would have not parted with it, would he?

Last edited:
Luca said:
That, Sir, is an insult and a lie.

According to Consumer's Guide Reliability ratings on these brand of automobiles they have way more trouble areas than the asian cars. I am not saying there not fine automobiles just unreliable. Check the magazine if you don't believe me.

Dennis

Luca said:
LXL which he is also now selling. Where i come from, we talk straight, shoot straight, and put our money where our word is. But you are a Wyomingite (how do call a person from Wyoming anyway?), so you know what i mean. Had that 10x42 FL been the greatest invention since hot water - as he implies, he would have not parted with it, would he?

I am the type of person that if something doesn't work right I get rid of it rather than hassle messing around trying to fix it. Bought the Zeiss FL 10x42 for $900.00(On E-bay) and sold them for $1100.00(Not bad huh!) Other people are different. If I buy a car and I have problems with it I trade it in. Same way with binoculars. It doesn't alter the fact that the Zeiss are excellent binoculars. I probably just got a lemon. Too me life is too short. I sold the Nikon LX L's because I had blackout issues with them. Bought them for $700.00 and sold them on E-bay for $900.00. Not bad He He! I have had Swarovski EL, Zeiss FL, Nikon SE(Too many blackouts), and Nikon LX L, and Leica(Too many blackouts for me) and Canon IS and compared them all.

Dennis

Last edited:
I am the type of person that if something doesn't work right I get rid of it rather than hassle messing around trying to fix it. Bought the Zeiss FL 10x42 for $900.00(On E-bay) and sold them for $1100.00(Not bad huh!) Other people are different. If I buy a car and I have problems with it I trade it in. Same way with binoculars. It doesn't alter the fact that the Zeiss are excellent binoculars. I probably just got a lemon. Too me life is too short. I sold the Nikon LX L's because I had blackout issues with them. Bought them for $700.00 and sold them on E-bay for $900.00. Not bad He He! Bought another pair of Nikon Monarchs 8x42 with the $200.00. So they didn't cost me anything! No that is a value. I like the Monarch's. They are light,cheap, good optically and they have perfect eye relief for me.(No Blackouts). I have had Swarovski EL, Zeiss FL, Nikon SE(Too many blackouts), and Nikon LX L, and Leica(Too many blackouts for me) and Canon IS and compared them all.

Dennis

I guess the question then is; if you have had such great success with the Monarchs and if it is as close to the "Alpha" binoculars as you have said (better even for you,) why recommend the Zeiss? i.e. why not just recommend the Monarchs?

Luca said:
But you are a Wyomingite (how do call a person from Wyoming anyway?)

I don't actually know. I've always just said a "resident of Wyoming."

"Wyomingite" works fine by me though.

lucznik said:
I guess the question then is; if you have had such great success with the Monarchs and if it is as close to the "Alpha" binoculars as you have said (better even for you,) why recommend the Zeiss? i.e. why not just recommend the Monarchs?

I still think the Zeiss FL are slightly better optically. If you are looking for the ultimate and that last 10% of performance means alot to you I would get the Zeiss. For most people I think they would perfectly satisfied with the Nikon Monarch's. Same with all the Alpha binoculars. They are really only slightly better optically. Build quality is probably quite a bit better say if you are comparing the Monarchs to the LX L Nikon's. It depends upon how demanding you are of your optics. On this forum I think birders are one of the most demanding groups on their binoculars so I would recommend Alpha binoculars to this group. Hence the Zeiss FL in the 10x magnification.

Dennis

Dennis

I am the type of person that if something doesn't work right I get rid of it rather than hassle messing around trying to fix it. Bought the Zeiss FL 10x42 for $900.00(On E-bay) and sold them for $1100.00(Not bad huh!) Other people are different. If I buy a car and I have problems with it I trade it in. Same way with binoculars. It doesn't alter the fact that the Zeiss are excellent binoculars. I probably just got a lemon. Too me life is too short. I sold the Nikon LX L's because I had blackout issues with them. Bought them for $700.00 and sold them on E-bay for $900.00. Not bad He He! I have had Swarovski EL, Zeiss FL, Nikon SE(Too many blackouts), and Nikon LX L, and Leica(Too many blackouts for me) and Canon IS and compared them all.

Dennis
Dennis,

The problem is that people on these forums are looking for honest advice, not a timely sales pitch by someone who buys and sells on a whim. You have given contradictory advice based on what you had to sell at the moment and I, for one, find that out of place on the forum.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back