• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex 2018 Viper HD Review (1 Viewer)

quincy88

Wow, I posted this in another thread. It was buried under a bunch of toxic crap and brand loyalty and brand distrust. Here is my honest review after a couple months of ownership:

Hi Everybody,
I bought a pair of 2018 Viper 12x50s a couple months ago. I like them. I may get some first-class 12s sometime soon, so I needed verification that I liked the platform. I've never tried the previous Vipers, but a few years ago I bought the Diamondback 12x50s and I can say without question that the 2018 Vipers are far superior to those. I bought the Vipers because they were the cheapest HD binoculars that I found.
What I like:
The clarity is good for the price, and kind of remind me of my Nikon Monarch 7s in that respect. Not perfect or anything, but acceptable.
They are bright, far brighter than those old Diamondbacks anyway.
The color is decently neutral, with aberrations only becoming bothersome near the field stop.
They are light and comfortable to hold and carry.
What I don't like:
The focus knob is pretty trashy. The resistance is variable, and generally too stiff, which makes them slow.
The locking diopter is a joke. It never actually stays locked. I find that it has popped up into the unlocked position pretty regularly. Also, there seem to be some discrete positions that it can occupy (like there are some interlocking teeth in there) and I can't quite set mine to zero.
The eyecups are ok, but they don't actually stay in any position other than all the way in or all the way out. If you set them to any of the middle positions then they will eventually migrate to the all the way in position.
Overall, they are decent glass. I'd buy them again.
-as you were, q
ps. They sent me this weird harness deal in place of a regular bag for them. That thing was super cheap and I broke one of the buckles before I even got done adjusting it to fit me.

Wow, I posted this in another thread. It was buried under a bunch of toxic crap and brand loyalty and brand distrust. Here is my honest review after a couple months of ownership:

Hi Everybody,
I bought a pair of 2018 Viper 12x50s a couple months ago. I like them. I may get some first-class 12s sometime soon, so I needed verification that I liked the platform. I've never tried the previous Vipers, but a few years ago I bought the Diamondback 12x50s and I can say without question that the 2018 Vipers are far superior to those. I bought the Vipers because they were the cheapest HD binoculars that I found.
What I like:
The clarity is good for the price, and kind of remind me of my Nikon Monarch 7s in that respect. Not perfect or anything, but acceptable.
The color is decently neutral, with aberrations only becoming bothersome near the field stop.
What I don't like:
The focus knob is pretty trashy. The resistance is variable, and generally too stiff, which makes them slow.
The locking diopter is a joke. It never actually stays locked. I find that it has popped up into the unlocked position pretty regularly. Also, there seem to be some discrete positions that it can occupy (like there are some interlocking teeth in there) and I can't quite set mine to zero.
The eyecups are ok, but they don't actually stay in any position other than all the way in or all the way out. If you set them to any of the middle positions then they will eventually migrate to the all the way in position.
-as you were, q
ps. They sent me this weird harness deal in place of a regular bag for them. That thing was super cheap and I broke one of the buckles before I even got done adjusting it to fit me.

I bought some 2018 Vipers for hide work, I also recently bought a pair of Vortex 8x42 Razors. Your review is pretty much spot on with my findings. Optically I thought they were very good, not far behind the Razors. If the Vipers ergonomics and focusing was as smooth as the Razors I would have probably have kept them and saved £400. Since I won't be buying any more bins, I decided to spend the extra and be happy.
The 12x50 Razors are superb, I really like them.

Ron

That is too bad about the build quality issues; I always liked the solid quality of the older MiJ Viper HD series and abused a pair without any real issues. In addition, I always found the focus knob to be exceptionally smooth and consistent throughout its range of motion.

Glad to see the optics are still fairly high quality, though.

I wouldn't say the build quality was bad, I didn't have a problem with the diopter, but it is a bit vague and plasticky.
The eye cups don't stayin any intermediate position on the Viper or the Razor. I've put O rings underneath the eyecups. You can put them anywhere you want and the stay there. Like said I did'nt have problem with the diopter, if I had and I was keeping them I would have stuck some tape on.
The focus is poor, it's stiff and has variable resistance. Optically excellent though.

Ron

I bought some new Vortex Viper's HD 12x50's just recently and haven't any problems with them at all. The focuser is smooth and consistent, the diopter works fine and doesn't pop up and I have no problems with the eye cups. Maybe you should send them into Vortex and get the problems sorted out.They will take care of them.

I don't think I will send them in. Seems like a hassle. I mean, I just bought them. The things I mentioned aren't that big a deal, which is why I still like them and would buy them again. They are just a bit chintzy is all. If they ever need to be serviced I'll send em in and test out that warranty.
For the price, I expected some good glasses and with these, I got some. Vortex and I are square by my accounting.
It is crazy that you don't have any of the issues that I have though.
-as you were, q

I have done a ton of research and found a great comparison review the Vortex Viper HD and the Monarch 7. The thing that is selling me on the Monarch 7 is the Depth of field was deemed to be significantly clearer and longer and the FOV was quite a bit wider so as to see more without too much. Is it okay to post the link to the review here? I'd love feedback.

The other reason I am leaning to the Nikon is Camerata Camera is offering a nice bundle with most of the attachments I would want. One being a cellphone attachment. It looks like this can be used on any binocular is that the case or do some accept this attachment and others not?

TIA

I have done a ton of research and found a great comparison review the Vortex Viper HD and the Monarch 7. The thing that is selling me on the Monarch 7 is the Depth of field was deemed to be significantly clearer and longer

TIA

Don't want to rain on your parade but far more optics-savvy folks on here than me declare that with binos the depth of field is purely dependent on magnification and nothing else. So all binos of the same mag have the same depth of field.

Lee

Don't want to rain on your parade but far more optics-savvy folks on here than me declare that with binos the depth of field is purely dependent on magnification and nothing else. So all binos of the same mag have the same depth of field.

Lee

Very true.

In real use following birds at distances of 30' to about 100' flitting through nearby trees using a Monarch 7 8x42 is much easier than trying to follow them through those trees using a Monarch 7 10x42. At close distances the 8x42 has a longer depth of field where objects are sharper and it always has a wider FOV overall than the 10x42.

Bob

I have done a ton of research and found a great comparison review the Vortex Viper HD and the Monarch 7. The thing that is selling me on the Monarch 7 is the Depth of field was deemed to be significantly clearer and longer and the FOV was quite a bit wider so as to see more without too much. Is it okay to post the link to the review here? I'd love feedback.

The other reason I am leaning to the Nikon is Camerata Camera is offering a nice bundle with most of the attachments I would want. One being a cellphone attachment. It looks like this can be used on any binocular is that the case or do some accept this attachment and others not?

TIA

Hi TIA
Welcome to Bird Forum,

:hi:

I can't answer all of your questions but I am wondering if the comparison review of the Vortex HD and the Monarch 7 you mention compared 2 binoculars of the same size? Like 2 8x42s or 2 10x42s. Because 2 different 8x42s or 2 different 10x42s will always have the same Depth of Field.

Different power binoculars will always have different depths of field so a Monarch 7 8x42 would have "significantly" more depth of field than a 10x42 Vortex Viper HD.

Alternatively, binoculars of the same power can have, and often do have, different Fields of View. It depends on the designs of their eyepieces.

Generally speaking lower power binoculars like 8x, for the most part, will have wider FOVs than higher powered binoculars like 10x.

Personally, I would be interested in reading that comparison binocular review you mention.

Bob

Bob,
So, assuming that one focused an optic on an object then the distortion from defocus will be greater in optics of higher than in lower magnification as one tries to view objects either in front of or behind the focused object? Do I have that right? Is this what 'depth of field' is describing? If so, I can see why depth of field is a function strictly of magnification.
In the past, I think that I have had this concept confused with the apparent three-dimensionality of an image. Can you speak to that at all? I seem to remember that Porro prism binoculars create a more three-dimensional image because the objectives have a greater offset from the oculars. Is that true? I think they call that the 'stereo base,' is that true?
-as you were, q

Reply to Bob Binoculars

Hi TIA
Welcome to Bird Forum,

:hi:

I can't answer all of your questions but I am wondering if the comparison review of the Vortex HD and the Monarch 7 you mention compared 2 binoculars of the same size? Like 2 8x42s or 2 10x42s. Because 2 different 8x42s or 2 different 10x42s will always have the same Depth of Field.

Different power binoculars will always have different depths of field so a Monarch 7 8x42 would have "significantly" more depth of field than a 10x42 Vortex Viper HD.

Alternatively, binoculars of the same power can have, and often do have, different Fields of View. It depends on the designs of their eyepieces.

Generally speaking lower power binoculars like 8x, for the most part, will have wider FOVs than higher powered binoculars like 10x.

Personally, I would be interested in reading that comparison binocular review you mention.

Bob

Here is the link...https://www.opticsreviewer.com/monarch-7-vs-elite-ed.html

Wondering if any one else has looked into the two VVHD and the MON 7 as birders and found one to be much better than the other. As I understand they were all 8x42 in the review (if I remember). I looked at a lot of info to get to the decision of the 8x42. Saw a nice You Tube on the differences and recommendations between the 8 and the 10 x 42 respectively.

Thanks for the insight.

Monarch 7 vs Vortex Viper HD Clarification

Here is the portion of the review that referred to DOF

How did the Depth of View Compare?
With the units we used and tested, we compared the Viper HD vs Elite ED and found that they had quite similar depths of view. That is to say that if you focus on something a specific distance away, that you could see clearly those objects a certain number of feet/meters closer and further away without re-focusing the binocular. This could is a similarity to the three-dimensional effect seen in Porro prism optics. Neither the Viper ED nor the Elite ED was bad in this respect, but rather both were good.

The Monarch 7 unit we tested, however, seemed to have a significantly greater depth of view than the Viper HD or Elite HD. This increased the Monarch 7's ease of use by a considerable amount since the focus doesn't have to be re-adjusted each time you make a minor change in viewing.

Read more from original site: https://www.opticsreviewer.com/monarch-7-vs-elite-ed.html#ixzz5T4zZ24Sf

I do read that the HD lense seems to have better CA in general. I am hoping my local Bass Pro has both to compare in person this weekend.

Depth of field is as described in the quote from the review and is the distance in front of and behind an object that has been critically focused on in which other objects are in focus. But how this distance is perceived varies from person to person because of what is called accommodation of each observer's eyes. The 3D effect of wider spaced objectives of porros and even of Abbe Koenig prism roof prism binos is different. And also lets not forget the foreshortening of perspective of higher magnification. If you have ever seen a pic taken with a long focal length lens, you will have noticed how an object closer to the camera than another object some distance away in fact look quite close together. This works in reverse too so that as you reduce the magnification, the distance between objects seems to increase dramatically. Dropping from 10x to 7x for example, a line of hills stretching away from the observer will appear to have greater distances between them with the 7x than with the 10x. However this is not depth of field, just a different optical effect and it is another reason why the view through 7x binos looks more spacious.

This is my understanding of three characteristics that can be conflated when considering the 'depth' of the view through binos. If I have got any of this wrong I would welcome correction.

Lee

I do read that the HD lense seems to have better CA in general. I am hoping my local Bass Pro has both to compare in person this weekend.

I think you mean that HD lenses seem to "have better resistance to CA (Chromatic Aberration) in general."

It is always a good idea to make your own comparisons.:t:

Bob

Last edited:
I did a side by side comparison with the Monarch 7s and the Vortex Viper, both in 10x42. I expected to like the Monarch 7 better, but was surprised the Vipers won hands down. The color and clarity were better (especially at far distances), less stray light, and less fringing on the edges. It wasn’t even a contest between two sets of bins that were the same price. I get everyone’s eyes are different, but this was pretty cut and dry. That’s my experience anyways..

I’ve owned two pairs of Vipers in 8x32 and checked out the other configurations numerous times. Binoculars here in Montana are primarily sold in sporting goods stores with hunters being the predominant user group. Vortex has done an incredible marketing job with hunters and they are found almost anywhere that sells optics including hardware stores and gas stations. This makes a lot of sense since they are good value binoculars at their price points and hunters love the warranty, which is a great one. Whenever you stop at an optics counter the salesperson almost always try’s to steer you to Vortex. They always tell you they are the very best binos available and the warranty proves it. They don’t know much about optics but are sure about this and Vortex sells like to hunters like Ford pickups. Perhaps that is a good analogy. The Ford is probably one of the best vehicles for hunters meeting their needs and budget well. Vortex do the same.

Back to the Vipers. I liked mine and thought they were a nice bino for the money. Unfortunately for me the Vortex has one fatal flaw: the eyecups. When you look at the eyecups you will notice they have a very thin rim. This allows lots of peripheral light and causes reflections in the barrel. Green ones in the case of the Viper. It took me awhile to figure this out but when I put on eyeshields it made me realize this was what was causing the problem. I do not like using the eyeshields so Vipers aren’t an option. I’m not sure why Vortex hasn’t addressed this by using a reflective coating to keep the light out. I thought they would with the redesign but every pair I’ve checked still have the green reflections. The funny thing is that I’ve told many salespeople about this when they talk up the Vipers. They tell me they’ve never seen it. Then I’ll tell them to take a look and most of the time they say “oh yeah I see what you’re talking about”.

I’m not putting down the Viper. It’s a nice bino and with the huge number being sold they obviously are widely well liked. They just don’t work for me.

Upland,

I guess they are popular with the hunting crowd, and they are pushed ahead of the other selection at Cabelas, personally I could do much better for the $$. Were it not for the Warranty I doubt they would sell many. Like a lot of glass coming out of China, the optics are OK but the mechanical build/consistency regarding focus and eye-cup function for one, have much to be desired.

Andy W.

Compare Vortex to Nikon

Hi Everybody,
What I like:
What I don't like:
-as you were, q

You seem to have experience with Vortex and Nikon. I am considering the Vortex Viper 8x42 and the Nikon Monarch 7 8x42. Do you have any words of wisdom about these to share, even if to just share your preference of Nikon vs Vortex?
Thanks, - Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back